Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner

Beginning to think...leaky gut...malabsorption....?

1K views 24 replies 9 participants last post by  bubbles 
#1 ·
I am starting to think that maybe I have an intestinal malabsorption causing all of the symptoms...thinning hair, acne, gas, bloating, frequent bms (that are actually pretty normal recently, neither c or d), but i go all the time...after anything i eat, i have to go...three or four times a day sometimes. particularly unusual from going once a day before all this started. maybe malabsorption of the nutrients is preventing my period from coming? just a thought.by the way, does anyone have any info on these topics? also candida overgrowth?[This message has been edited by bubbles (edited 10-25-2000).]

#2 ·
bubbles -Since you have these extra symptoms that are not related to IBS I suggest you type in your symptoms into a search engine and see if that corresponds to anything. I used http://www.google.com when I was researching my IBS symptoms and found some really great info.It does sound a lot like PCOS - Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome I think is what it stands for. I'm not all that familiar with it but have seen many references to it in the many low-carb sites I visit. Eating less carbs has greatly helped the symptoms according to the women who suffer from it.Hormones do play a big part in IBS for many woman as evidenced by so many who get worse during their time of month. And many of the women who were eventually diagnosed with PCOS didn't have all the symptoms - just a majority of them. Just off the top of my head these are some I remember: irregular periods, acne, cramping, change in weight, thinning hair, excessive facial hair, trouble conceiving, ovarian cysts. I'm sure there are many more.One thing to keep in mind - if you do have something other than IBS, there is most likely treatments for it rather than all the trial and error IBS suffers go thru.And about the candida - that theory is so controversial and at one time I wondered if I had it. For me, what it turned out to be was wheat intolerance. Wheat is my main trigger food. I have some other minor trigger foods, but when I eat wheat I feel horrible. The other food triggers are merely inconveniences compared to how my body reacts to wheat.I'm certainly not suggesting you make a self-diagnosis, just to be aware of any tests you want done in the event that a doctor doesn't seem interested in getting to the root of your problems.

G
#3 ·
bubbles - weren't you looking into the poss. of celiac disease before? I haven't checked in for a few days - have you found that is not the case? certainly sounds possible?i am still awaiting my bloody test result - has been weeks and weeks!!
If it is leaky gut type thing - have you tried L-Glutamine?I have been taking the powder form 2 times a day for about 3 months now and have felt tons and tons better for it!!!

#4 ·
YO BUBBLING ONE!:Are you under the direct care of a board-certified Gastroenterologist? Or are you still being managed by your PCP. Have you discussed all these symptoms in detail with your physician(s)? What was the workup? What were the exam results?Personally, while it is tempting to self-diagnose, I just want to add to the discussuion that I would feel uncomfortable suggesting possible diagnosis. If we err on the side of severity, you will be worried needlessly. If we err on the side conservatism you will be potentially dangerously nonchalant about your condition.If , however, you have been through a thorough differential diagnostic workup by a properly qualified practitioner and are at the "frustrated non-relief from therapy stage" that's a horse of another color.Could you fill us in on where you are with your medical care? And if you have not been worked-up as I described, that is my personal advice, given with a sense of urgency that you should do that first.Have a DFDMNL________________ www.leapallergy.com

#5 ·
Bubbles,I asked about your thyroid in another post, but I don't know if you got a chance to answer. Have you had your thyroid checked? Your symptoms do sound a lot like a thyroid problem. You should also have an ANA blood test, if you have not already, to rule out Lupus and Lyme disease. Thyroid problems and Lupus both can cause the hair loss, lack of priods, pretty much all the stuff you are experiencing.I told you before about your acne sounding like Rosacea... have you had that checked yet? Studies are trying to show it is related to the H. Pylori bacteria which can also cause stomach problems and ulcers. That is either a breath test or a biopsy done while they go into your stomach with a scope.You really do need to invest some time in finding a good doctor. You can set up appointments with doctors to "interview" them, just like you would interview a perspective employee. It's a great way to pick a doctor... if they make you feel rushed at that initial appointment, you can move on before you have invested any time into having them do tests. Also, look into PAs a RNPs as a great alternative to doctors.Good luck!

#6 ·
Bubbles, I often thought that this might be as a result of some infections. (I am currently on Diflucan-antifungal and a low sugar/low fermented/aged food diet for Candida (detected and treated by an allergist M.D.) which has helped my stooling and much of the bloating discomfort. I was found to be sensitive to the Candida mold as well as the food additives of citric and benzoic acid, and avoid these too. I'm wondering if there is a hormonal connection as well. I also had some small ovarian cysts, and adult-oncet acne problem, as well as a 15# weight loss during my infection. I have a possible autoimmune problem which could be associatied with my fibromyalgia as well. The fatigue, muscle wasting tendency, and brain fog make you feel as if only you would eat healthier or use more vitamin/mineral supplements that you would feel better. No matter how hard I try to do both, nothing seems to work. Mike, do you believe in leaky gut and malabsorption resulting from the above mentioned? What tests should one have done to detect this? Are chelated vit./min. the way to go? At any rate, I would think you would have to do something about the infection first/in combo if there was one. Some think that fibro/cfs is due to a viral infection which results in the symptoms, and treating a virus rather than a bacterial or fungal infection, for that matter, is difficult to impossible, especially when the exact cause is unknown.

#7 ·
Hi, all...Mike, well, my story is pretty long so I won't go into great detail about it. Basically, as you asked about medical history, physicians did no type of tests whatsoever, except for a stool sample for parasites which was negative. I have not seen a GI, and am in between doctors because I am 19 and at 18 you switch to adult medicine. So I really haven't had much time to build any sort of relationship with a particular physician, or find one that I think listens to me effectively...I have seen many different ones though. It started in about February, I saw an NP at home who told me to cut back on gassy foods and take simethicone..Saw another NP on campus for a second opinion who basically told me the same thing. I saw a doctor this past summer, who was very quick to say it was IBS (probably looked at my chart, thought I had anxiety) and that was it. I saw a doctor on campus about a week or two ago who listened very carefully and was very attentive, as I had been complaining of this since January and had not felt better. She still thinks it's IBS, without tests or anything. I am sure she thinks it's just anxiety because when I had seen the NP about this, I had also indicated that I was under a lot of stress and she noted that I was suffering from depression...she was right, but my symptoms are real, and most likely the depression worsened because of the symptoms I was experiencing. Anyway, the doctor I saw last week also said that she doesn't think a colonoscopy is necessary (I don't really want one either so I'm okay with that). I'm seeing a different doctor back home on Friday and am planning to demand tests for everything under the sun (maybe not everything, just possible things that could be affected.) The list is long: Gluten/celiac's, anemia, thyroid panel, hormones (estrogen level, fsh, lh, estradiol t3 and t4, prolactin and tsh, testosterone levels, progesterone levels, intestinal malabsorption test, enzyme deficiency, candidia....I'm certain that he will not want to go to such measures, but I'm pushing for it. and there probably are no easy tests for some (how is enzyme deficiency or intestinal malabsorption tested?). But i'm bringing it up anyway. Rumblegirl, Yes, about the Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, I have heard about it and am starting to think that the symptoms are frighteningly similar to mine. Thing is, all the symptoms that I experienced have been gradual over the course of one full year. NOw, I feel, is the breaking point. Things have culminated to a point where my entire system is against me and is completely out of whack. I don't know, but maybe you have read or heard, can PCOS affect how often you have BMs? I don't think I have IBS anymore because it doesn't seem to matter what I eat. What may give me loads of gas and cramping one day, will not affect me at all on another. Also I'm neither C or D. I had C a week or two ago because I had been ignoring the many frequent urges to have a bm...which is bad, i know, but it's difficult to get up and use the restroom when you're in classes, study sessions, etc. I have the urge to go after I eat, all the time. If I could estimate the number of urges I get in a day, it'd be about 8, but I only go about three times. But the bms are normal, not c or d. which is why i think it could be somehting other than ibs. My stomach is huge right now...It looks like I lost weight but all of the weight, or most of it, ended up in my midsection. Like the fat is not distributed evenly or something. I get muscle aches, joint aches, last night I had terrible cramping in areas in my lower back and lower abdomen, I have more pimples than usual, more hair on my face, thinning hair on my head, I'm really gassy right now. This is really MAKING me stressed out...if stressed caused it, then this is a never ending cycle of stress...Enna, I didn't get my gluten sensitivity test done but will see another doctor on friday so hopefully he'll listen to me and do all the tests i request. Mannie, I did read your post before, but probably never got around to responding. I will be checking my thyroid (hopefully) on Friday so we'll see if the doctor actually does this for me. Oh, well....thanks for listening. Please post any info or advice you may come across. This is really worrying me because I have not found any relief of my old symptoms of gassyness, but now I seem to be adding new ones to the list all the time. I just hope it's not something untreatable or serious.

G
#8 ·
I don't know about your period, but I have heard others mention thinning hair. And acne is not uncommon with ibs. GI problems or stress or the combination of the two could easily cause acne. I know because I recently went to a dermatologist. Thinning hair can also be a symptom of stress. I, being male, have no good info about your period. Funny, but these problems were worst for me when my GI symptoms were not bad either. Brian

#9 ·
Hi Moldie. I have to leave in 30 minutes so I apologize if my writing seems curt...I just have to be less conversational. I can come back in the AM and talk more personably.You are correct the apparent infection should be treated and resolved first. I know I had it twice myself and it exacerbated the symptoms of my IBS. We have noted a correlation between granulocyte degranulation in response to candida and symptoms. This has suggested to the immunologists that the candida is being "seen" as a pathogen as opposed to normal flora (there should be no immune response to normal flora). Antifungal therapy reduces symptoms, suggesting active infection may have been involved,as opposed to hypersensitivity to candida "pritein structure".While it is widely and wildly postulated that an alteration in permeability of the gut wall occurs due to an inflammatory mediateor "loosening" of the epithelial tight junctions, which would allow macromolecules to migrate from the lumen into the extracellular then intrvascular compartment, where they are seen as "non self" and eliciting a hypersensitivity reaction, from what I have read and seen this does not hold up very well at this time.Measurments of intraluminal-to-intravascular clearence with small molecule permeability tests" (mannitol) do show increased permeability in IBS to SMALL molecules...but not macromolecules as measured by large molecule ("albumin") absorption tests.Further findings suggest that the primary and key hypersensitivity reaction occurs within the vascular bed (granulocytes, lymphocytes and platelets in the villous microcirculation) to normal digestive end products which can move through normal transport mechanisms from the lumen to the vascular compartment. There, the immune system in IBS victims is reading some food proteins and certain chemicals as "non self"-allergens-and releasing and/or synthesizing cytokines and leokotrienes (in the plasma).THIS is a low grade inflammatory response from mediatiors not in the tissue (the mast cells) but from inside the vascular compartment. This produces local effects and systemic effects, since the mediators have been released into the plasma. This is supported by findings of edema and low-grade inflanmatory signs in the gut epithelium of IBS subjects. Fluid is leaking OUT of the blood vessels and into the extravascular space, sometimes with cells,like esosinophils, sometimes not. This extravasation of fluid in response to vasoative mediators would account for an increase in permeability of a low magnitude, as shown in mannitol clearance tests but not in macromolecule permeability. Anytime there is extravasation of fluid in any body compartment, space is occupied between the cells that make up that tissue, loosening the junctions between them (increases the space between the cells).What is of interest is the reaction at the ileoceacal junction appears that it may elicit mast cell involvement as well, and that it involves increased number os mast cells (this can ccount for the symptoms of pain, spasm and occasional pseudo-obstruction in some patients). The mast cell reaction in IBS, if it occurs, may be part of a late-phase reactions or secondary hypersensitivity reaction, exaggerated due to the increased tissue density of mast cells. This is an area that additional study is stringly indicated for due to recent tissue findings.Personally, with the general findings in the populaton of food-intolerant IBS patients that we have seen so far, the only cases of "malabsorption" could be considered those where the D respsonse is so severe (ie: the hypersensitivity reaction is as strong as that seen in pathogen-clearance reactions, like to food poisoning) that gastric contents are passed virtually unchanged. This does not appear to be common according to the docs I have worked with, and the observations made as we approach this using the new testing methods our immunologist developed. Its is a good tool to add to evaluating the patients clinical picture, and supports some findings that were theory before, and which can now be quantified.That being said I do not think most IBS patients are suffering nutritional deficiencies from malabsorption. I think many do suffer nutritional deficiencies, but in the many patients I have seen they are from very poorly, non-personalized attempts at dietary modification and inadvertent denial of foods that need not be removed but inadvertently are (through no fault of the patient) due to the out-of-phase response inaccuracies in proper ID of food triggers.Or removed foods are not replaced either by proper supplementation or replacement foods. Supplementation is problematic as vitamin and mineral preps may contain additives to which the patient is reactive, and compromise their absorption that way (if the cause D to exacerbate and shorten transit time).For this our immunologists have developed and will be produing next year a 100% non-allergenic supplement that any food or chemical intolerant patient can use regardless of what they are reactive to.Molded one, there is a quick rip-through on your questions sorry so blunt, curt and full of typos---be back in the AM if anayone wants to debate.--------------------------Now I want to read ChampagneBubbles story and hope to see if there is something I can help with...BUT TIME IS UP GOTTA RUN.be back in the A.M. to continue my verbose input, bubbles.Have a DFEMNL___________ www.leapallergy.com

#10 ·
hi bubbles-this is not meant to freak you out at all, but since you haven't had any medical workups yet you may want to have them check for ovarian cancer. it's really unlikely that you'd have it, but i'm about your age and they had to test me for this before they would give me a final diagnosis of IBS, because it's often mistakenly diagnosed as IBS. the main symptoms are really similar to IBS:-abdominal bloating, pressure or discomfort-nausea/indigestion/gas-unexplained weight loss/gain in pelvic area-urinary frequency, diarrhea or constipation-abnormal bleeding-shortness of breath-pain during intercourse-unusual fatiguei hope you get some answers soon!enja

#11 ·
Thanks Enja,How were you tested for ovarian cancer? pelvic exam? Those are pretty difficult for me and I have been putting them off, which I know is a big mistake, but I am a really anxious person and I can barely make it through the routine pap and stuff. But I will consider it--I actually have been considering that this "ibs" i have could be something reproductive rather than gastro. but I don't like that thought. It scares me...all the things I hear. But I have to face it no matter what.

#15 ·
hi bubbles,it was my gynecologist that recommended i get the test but it's more than just a normal pelvic exam. it's called a pelvic ultrasound. i won't go into the gory details but it's not painful or anything like that. i'm sure you'll feel much better when you have all the tests. i know i was definitely feeling freaked out at the time i had to have them. whatever it turns out to be, have you thought about seeing someone for the anxiety/depression? i'm on an antidepressant and it's helped me a ton. enja

#16 ·
HI BRITTANY AND MOLDIE!Sorry not ignoring anybody but have been unable to find any free time yet today. Will be back sfter this luch meeting I have to go to.A quick answer for Brittany is I have had the blessing of working with some really intelligent doctors and researchers for a real long time. So I can glom off of their knowledge.Personally I am a "retired" Registered Respiratory Therapist.My first decade was in-hospital where I did everything a non-doc can do working side by side with them from surgery to shock units to trauma units to pediatrics to diagnostics and rehab. Worked my way up into Adminstration in several hospitals in a row, and wanted a change. So then went out to my NEXT decade. This was in health career education. I ran a group of AMA accredited schools that trained people for healthcare careers in Florida, affiliated with all the major hospitals in several cities for clinical-training articulation. Also developed continuing eduction programs for therapist, nurses, docs. Also did research and clinical development over the years on new cardiopulmonsry instrumentation (ventilators, diagnostics et al) in some fairly well known hospitals like Cleveland Clinic, Mt. Sinai Medical Center, University of Jacksonville Hospitals (jax branch of Shands Teaching Hospital, U of F Medical School...go gators...) yadda yada. My last decade has been working side by side daily with a research immunologist and a group of clinicians developing new diagnosis and treatment methods of disease entities associated with food and chemical hypersensitivity; developing new in vitro testing technology and the therapeutic protocols for implementation (including setting up the labs, beta clinics, and affiliate physicians here and in Europe). I got in with these docs since the immunologist who was doing this research was the only person who was able to treat me successfully for my severe, intractable IBS of 38 years duration (to date) and get me into remission some years ago after nobody else in 30 years in the best hospitals around could do it. And I saw his discoveries effects on dozens of other people before "throwing in my lot" with him (and the rest) and my "witness of efficacy" has now exceeded 1300 patients who have been benficiaries of this new technology.My plan for the next ten years is to finish my career by helping them bring this to the medical community and public worldwide for the benefit of those whose food and additives are making them sick and they and their doctors at present cannot find it and beat it. Anyway, thats my story and I am stikin to it!-------------MOLDIEWe do testing for a physician group in Canada whom I belive to be doing work on enzyme-potentiated desensitization of delayed-hypersensitivity reactions to foods and chemicals. Let me talk to some folks later and see if they are getting anywhere with it. I'll let you know what I find out.Time to Dine!MNL_____________ www.leapallergy.com

#17 ·
MOLDIE: OK. The guys that are talking about enzyme-potentiated desensitization have substantively gone no further than that which is already in the literature, which is mainly working with Type I inhalant allergies, and using specific enzymes which may potentiate the release of interleukin-10, which basically can block part of the inflammatory cascade in classic inhalant allergies (there is a specific mechanism and I could go write it all down but...so what?...nothing with IBS so no interest here.The only thing in the literature that I know of is in a study I refer to as "The Oreo Investigation". A year or two ago they fed some encapsulated pancreatic enzymes to a test group and placebo to a control group after each group ate "a Bag of Oreos" (it was not really oreos, but it basically boiled down to the subjects eating a bunch of cookies as I remember) and then making various measurements to see if the enzyme supplements helped reduce the "distress" (gas, bloating, grumbles) from eating all that fat. I do not know if they separated them and ate the filling first, or were required to ingest them intact...and whether this would have any effect on the outcomes. I am certain milk was not allowed as it would introduce artifact.The results were that indeed some measurable benefit was seen in the enzyme-treated oreo-traumatized group vs the placebo group, so one of the investigators made this "reach" that maybe these enzymes would be good for IBS. Maybe if an IBS sufferer ate a bag of Oreos!So I guess it is good to keep some microencapsulated pancreatic enzymes around for the next time you eat a whole bag of cookies before you go to bed. That seems to be as as much as I can remember...I have dug around on this before and come up with mothing substantive, only some lay-people opinions.If it has actually been studied seriousl for functional bowel disorders I have missed it. There is work on some enzyme-effects in inflmmatory gut disorders, which makes sense, but not in IBS. Unless I missed it which is altogether possible.MNL___________ www.leapallergy.com

#18 ·
Hi bubbles:Here is an article from webmd.com on malabsorption. It mentions what conditions cause it and then gives you links to those conditions so you can read up on them. YOu should pull up the article in webmd so you can access the links. The url for this article is: http://my.webmd.com/content/asset/adam_disease_malabsorption Note: some images may not be suitable for all readers] Digestive system organs Digestive system Malabsorption -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- [Definition] [Causes, Incidence and Risk Factors] [Symptoms] [Signs And Tests] [Treatment] [Expectations (Prognosis)] [Complications] [Calling Your Health Care Provider] [Prevention] Definition Difficulty in the digestion or absorption of nutrients from food substances.Causes, Incidence and Risk Factors Malabsorption can be the result of a broad spectrum of diseases. Typically, malabsorption can be the failure to absorb specific sugars, fats, proteins, or other nutrients (such as vitamins) or it can include a general nonspecific malabsorption. Diarrhea, bloating or cramping, failure to thrive, frequent bulky stools, muscle wasting, and a distended abdomen may accompany malabsorption.Malabsorption can affect growth and development or can lead to specific illnesses. Some of the causes of malabsorption include:cystic fibrosis (the number one cause in the U.S.) lactose intolerance celiac disease (gluten-induced-enteropathy, sprue) bovine lactalbumin intolerance (cow's milk protein) soy milk protein intolerance acrodermatitis enteropathica biliary atresia abetalipoproteinemia vitamin B-12 malabsorption Diphyllobothrium latum infestation juvenile pernicious anemia parasites Giardia lamblia Strongyloides stercoralis (threadworm) Necator americanus (hookworm) Symptoms specific food avoidance chronic diarrhea bloating and flatulence (gas) growth failure Signs And Tests See the individual conditions.Treatment See the individual conditions.Expectations (Prognosis) See the individual conditions.Complications Prolonged malabsorption can result in malnutrition.Calling Your Health Care Provider Call to make an appointment with your health care provider if you notice symptoms of malabsorption.Prevention See the individual conditions.

#20 ·
Thanks again Mike. I hate to waste money on something that would be worthless. I hardly eat even one cookie with my problems with sugar and bloating, so I guess it wouldn't be helpful for me to take digestive enzymes. Of course there are other enzymes that claim they are helpful to digest fat, protein, fiber, etc.. I suspect that you think that one would have to overload on these things too before they would be of any aid? I guess that it is just another area that needs to be studied more thouroughly as to who it may/if at all, benefit.Take care, and have a nice weekend Mike. You too bubbles.

#21 ·
Bubbles,I know what it's like when you feel your doctor doesn't have enough time. I always think there's going to be enough, but time seems to run out quickly once I start asking questions. What I have done is faxed my doctor before the appointment with anything (like articles) that I want to discuss with her. I wonder if that's an option for you and your doc?Fiona

G
#22 ·
HI! As soon as I saw your question I thought of enzyme defiency. I was in the same situation. I lived in Spain for a few years and that is where my IBS became very severe. I would have diarrhea 5 times a day. When I got back to the states, I thought I would get better right away. I remember my first month back I went off sugar (thinking Candida was the problem) - my diarrhea wasn't so bad but I was still going to the bathroom at least 5 -6 times a day and I was getting way too thin. All my friends thought I was anorexic. Anyway, I took a highly specialized test testing my bm and saliva for parasites, digestive enzyme levels, candida, etc. The results were negative on parasites, but I was low on enzymes. I faithfully started taking enzymes and slowly I have put back the weight and have had a decrease in the frequency of bm's. But I am still careful not to overdo it with the fats, dairy or rich foods. Every enzyme supplement is different so you have to experiment around to find out what exactly you need. Vitamins.com lists all the ingredients and there are several to choose from. I hope you find a definitive answer soon from all your tests but thought I throw in my enzyme experience.

#23 ·
YO BUBBLING ONE!I am GLAD you took the time to write the whole story down for me and that I had the time to read it.Bottom line is that what you say you are going to do is 100% correct and essential. The physician caring for you, if it were a Board Certified GI doc, would KNOW a complete workup is essential for a proper differential diagnosis. There are several potential organic or pathogenic causes for your symptoms and these must be systematically examined and ruled out one at a time. There is a very specific and widely accepted method of doing this, and you have described many of the elements.Until that is done, it is impossible and unwise to suggest a cause or treatment. If we are wrong and err by advising you it is something more SERIOUS than it is you will be worried and fretting and stressing needlessly.On the other hand if we suggest it is something BENIGN and you forego a proper diffferential and try to treat yourself and we are WRONG, we are morally, ethically and (we should be legally) culpible.I urge you to a)proceed as planned in a calm but determined amnne to get a proepr workup, preferably by a GI doc, or a really good PCP with knowledge in this area or
if a doc won't work you up properly get another doc who will.It's important. There are just too many possibilities, many of which are easily treatable so you do not have to suffer like this.Let us all know how it is going along OK? Sorry my typing is so bad...gotta run...no time for editing...pregame show in 30 minutes!ThanksMNL________________ www.leapallergy.com

#24 ·
I didn't read all the postings here so don't know if I'm going to be a bit redundant...You could ask for the D-Xylose [sp?] intestinal malabsorption test. I almost had it myself (but, long story..., then I started gaining weight back anyway). I'm pretty sure I've had some form of malabsorption. I vote for a good pelvic exam, too, plus an ultrasound (could check for PCOS, etc.).Wow, I'm impressed! You sure seem to know a lot more medically, than I did at your age. Sounds like you have a good plan. However, please realize that the doc may be slow in giving you all those tests (might just do one or two at a time). In the meantime, also do everything you can (in between your studies, which is difficult) to be as healthy as possible: exercise, eat simply but v. nutritiously (avoiding certain hard-to-digest foods), invest in some good multivitamins and minerals and acidophilus (maybe also L-Glutamine), relax as much as possible (which is v. difficult at college!). Very gradually, with or without a doc's help, you may begin to strengthen yourself and feel a bit better.

#25 ·
I just posted a new thread about my lab results from Friday, but I thought I'd post here as well. I just called the hospital to ask when I'd receive the results, and they gave them to me on the phone. Everything that was tested for was normal (some horomones, thyroid normal, sodium...I forget what other ones). The only one that was out of range was albumin (albunim? sp?). The nurse said normal levels are 3.3 to 4.7...mine were 4.8, which she said was probably nothing to worry about but the doctor would call me and discuss the results with me. Does anyone know how this could be interpreted? She said that albumin is a blood protein that has to do with nutrition and the liver. Any info that anyone has would be great! thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.