Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner

Dealing with Ibs and Anxiety issues, anyone having any ways to help me

927 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  ketchuptaco 
#1 ·
Hi everyone this is my second post on this website and i appreciate the advice ppl gave me for my last post. Lately my IBS has been getting worse, almost as bad as b4 i got diagnosed, and so have my anxiety issues. Stress seems to really trigger my ibs and i have been under alot lately as my dad has been hospitalized and the news keeps getting worse. I was wondering if anyone knows some ways for me too calm down enough that my Ibs isnt soo bad. Manly though i would like to know how others deal with anxiety and such caused by Ibs. Is there any medication u can take that helps with anxiety? or any other methods that can help? Right now i can have a complete freak out at the thought of even going grocery shopping or leaving the house to visit my father for fear of gettting sick. If anyone has any advice i would be very grateful, thanks

#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
You definetly have anxiety issues. Many people get anxiety and deppression just by havng IBS. There are great anti-anxiety medications out there. Work with a doctor to get the right one and dosage. Ativan, Xanax and Klonopin are just a few and are great even if you take them as needed. There are self help things you can do like deep breathing and setting time aside everyday for quiet time while deep breathing and relaxing so you can get into a habit of being in a more relaxed state of mind. I know there are other things people from this board that can add to this.

#3 ·
Im not sure i would recommend the above meds, simply because they are benzos and are addictive! So you have to be really careful with them. You can get a low dose of an antidepressant, that seems to help with anxiety. I take paxil cr at the lowest dose aswell as seroquel in a low dose and that seems to have taken the edge of greatly. Seroquel is great though you take it at bedtime because it makes you sleep alot! Unfortunantly the only problem with antids is that they take 4-6 weeks to work. Definantly look up stuff like deep breathing and maybe you can find a place to get some counselling.

#4 ·
for me my true passions always helped me through rough time,s which ultimately helps the IBS. I am a musician so i often play guitar or drums. or write a song and just relax and get lost in my own world. if you have any hobbies i strongly recommend putting some interest into them. Life is never easy, people are always dying.. including parents, friends, brothers, sisters etc. Just take it day by day and work your mind, write a song, make a poem, write an essay. whatever floats your boat. Sometimes medication is not the answer, it just blocks things out long enough so you have to deal with them again later.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.