Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner

ALL OF YOU NEED TO LOOK INTO HABBA SYNDROME

54K views 98 replies 44 participants last post by  mydogjessie 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I thought I had IBS for over 15 years.....3 different Doctors diagnosed me as having it (since age 13)......turns out I have Habba Syndrome which is a non-properly functioning galbladder (this condition was discovered by an Award Winning Gastro-Enterologist in 2000 and was also featured on the TV show Mystery Diagnosis on the Science / Health Channel...that is how I found out about it originally)....basically the galbladder looks fine on ultrasounds or MRI, but it doesn't store bile and contract properly.......which means constant diarrhea as the bile is a natural laxative.....All of you should look up Habba Syndrome and see if you might have it (the symptoms are pretty darn close to IBS). The current belief is that at least 1 in 5 people diagnosed with IBS actually have Habba Syndrome. I urge you to take a look....the diagnosis is 1 test that takes an hour to do.....insurance pays for it....and treatment is a pill that soaks up bile.....IT HAS CURED ME....15 Years of Suffering for me BUT NOW No More!!!! For everyone out there....I am very confident that some of you have this....and if you do...you must promise to get this message out to others......We can cure the millions out there that are suffering from this and don't know it.

#2 ·
Thanks for posting about this! I already have an appointment with a GI Dr this coming Friday because I was doing great for awhile while I was on Questran Light, but have gone off of it (RX ran out and I was doing fine so why did I need to take a medicine? Or so I thought!). I'm going to ask what the GI doc thinks about maybe having Habba Syndrome, but meanwhile, here's a link for those who are interested: http://habbasyndrome.com/_wsn/page4.htmlAlso: http://www.wrongdiagnosis.com/h/habba_syndrome/intro.htm

#3 ·
Hello < I wish more people would look into this. I've been sick for over a year in/out of emergency rooms dr to dr. SEvere D etc etc. I was finally diagnosed with gallbladder disease which I am having taken out. I know personally of 5 other women who have gallstones and diarrhea. Where did you see a doctor? I don't live close to dr habba any suggestions?

#5 · (Edited by Moderator)
If you don't live near Dr. Habba, I would call his office and ask for recommendations for other doctors in your area (the test should be able to be performed at most hospitals too......the key is that they contract the gall bladder to see it function, not just take images of it with an ultrasound). I live in the NYC, Philly area so Dr. Habba is not too far away. Also, worth noting is how he figured out this condition. People that had their gall bladders removed were showing IBS symptoms as their gall bladders were not there to function at all. So people that have disfunctional gall bladders have these same symptoms, even though their gall bladders look healthy at first glance. Also worth mentioning is that Habba Syndrome lists the symptoms as diarrhea without abdominal pain, HOWEVER, I definitely had abdominal pain, so I would not hold the symptoms listed as the be all end all. It is just amazing because I had tried for years to modify my diet, but at times found I could eat anything for one day, and then the next day if I ate something as mild as rice I would have terrible painful diarrhea. I also thought that stress played an issue as my stomach would get really upset at times before exams in High School, College, and Grad School even if I was very careful with my diet. Of course I tried dozens of different medications without any real help. Fiber tended to help mellow out my stomach a little, but not much. I would say that one symptom that does point to Habba Syndrome is that you don't have any pain or diarrhea if you don't eat. If I didn't eat for half a day or so and was pretty much flushed out at that point because I was worried my stomach would get upset, I wouldn't have any diarrhea because there wasn't much in me that wanted out. However, if I ate a big, high fat meal (like a steak dinner).. and that was on top of a few other meals from earlier in the day...I would usually get pretty bad intestinal conditions....with lots of pain as the food wanted out and quick. Hope that helps.

#6 ·
So you got pain with the Habba Syndrome? The reason I ask is that every website or piece of information about it says that one of the main differences between it and IBS is that Habba has no abdominal pain. If you got pain, what type was it? Like was it painful cramping that comes before/accompanies a D attack? Or did you also have lingering pain that stayed around? Just trying to get further clarification before I explore having my doctor look into it further. Any additional info would be greatly appreciated -- thanks!

#7 ·
To reply to the pain question. I definitely had pain before / accompanying a D-attack. Once all the diarrhea was out of me in a given evening the pain would go away....so I would not have lingering pain. If I had an empty stomach and intestines I would definitely have no pain.....If I had a full stomach I could get cramps and if I had a full stomach with full intestines I would definitely have cramps and pain that would be before and during a D-attack. So, as someone that definitely has Habba Syndrome, I would have to say that I would not go by the No pain with Habba Syndrome info you might find on the web, as I definitely had intestinal pain when I had food in me. Hope that helps.

#9 · (Edited by Moderator)
I have a quick question regarding Habba and my symptoms b/c I currently don't have insurance which covers a GI (obviously I need to go see somebody). I was wondering if my symptoms align or not Is it possible to have Habba Syndrome if it's not full blown diarrhea? My stools are very loose, but not straight on diarrhea and I usually have to go once or twice a day (in the morning and sometimes immediately after lunch). Otherwise the symptoms seem to line up - no real pain, doesn't occur when fasting, rarely have to go at night, etc. I appreciate any insight, I plan on asking about this when I get full insurance.

#10 ·
Yes, it is definitely possible. The test of gallbladder function will show you how well your gallbladder contracts / functions. It is very possible that your gallbladder is not perfect, but not as bad as others with Habba Syndrome which would result in your symptoms which are not as extreme as those with gallbladders that function as if they don't even have a gallbladder which is the way that mine functions.

#11 ·
Sooooo happy that someone posted this! I've suffered with diarrhea for 8 years (and I'm only 24!) and I finally decided to talk to my GI doc about Habba Syndrome. He told me it was crock but I insisted on trying the medication for it (bile acid resins) and I have not had diarrhea since. I kid you not. The one time I had diarrhea since starting the medication was when I stopped taking it for a few days to ease the pain of an anal fissure that I developed (but that is another story altogether). I don't know for sure if I have Habba Syndrome, but I do know that the treatment is working for me so far. Worth looking into!

#13 · (Edited by Moderator)
To Reply to cherrypie09 YES...If you do NOT have a gall bladder than odds are this medication will work exceptionally well for you and if you have Habba Syndrome you could or could not have a gall bladder. The medication is Welchol which is Colesevelam HCI (625 mg tablets)I'm very happy to hear gradstudent08 has been using this with success. YOU MUST try different doses as some people need as few as 1 a day (I take 2 a day) and others take more. You see within a week you will have no diarrhea, so if you take too much you'll end up having very solid stool and that is why gradstudent08 had fissures.....you have to vary the dose to what is right to you, BUT IT WILL CHANGE YOUR LIFE. THIS IS A HUGE BREAKTHROUGH.....Doctor's are just coming to realize this, that is why gradstudent08's doctor said he / she didn't believe it.......it's because they didn't learn about it in school....BECAUSE THIS DISCOVERY JUST CAME OUT IN THE LAST FEW YEARS. It will get into these textbooks for future generations, but for now people need to spread the word on sites like this. It's amazing to think that 1 in 5 people that are on this site reading this probably have Habba Syndrome and NOT IBS. People that don't have Gall Bladders or Have seemingly Normal Gall Bladders but they don't function right are Misdiagnosed by these doctors and told Good Luck try to cope with this with medications that don't work or barely work....NOT let's test your gall bladder and we'll try Welchol.

#50 ·
Thank you for the great thread and good luck to all!I am a 33 y/o Lebanese woman, I got my gall bladder removed in 2003 and have had severe IBS-d ever since.I would like to try out this medication since you said it also applies to people with no gall bladder.So it is WELCHOL which is Colesevelam HCI (625 mg)??Please can you link me online to the exact medication you take? We have different names in Lebanon and I need to show the pharmacist the photo and exact composition to make sure I get handed the right medication.Thank you in advance

#15 ·
I am freaking out because for the first time in 35 years, I am functional. Really functional; not just “for the moment functional” . No bathroom mapping needed. No worrying about every flippin’ morsel I put in my mouth, or every drop I drink.I have been working to curb anxiety and have been trying all sorts of dietary modifications and IBS medicines for 34 years. I have been fighting and struggling with what I thought was IBS and panic syndrome since I was 15. I don’t have to list all the doctors, tests and medications, because if you are at this site, you have been there, too. Now, at age 48, I finally have the correct diagnosis and it isn’t IBS! I was classic. I bathroom mapped, planned outings very,very carefully, took changes of clothes, had extreme anxiety when travelling, and felt that my quality of life and my dignity were suffering badly from "catastrophic events" and my fear of attacks. I have enormous empathy for anyone else on the planet who suffers the anxiety of never knowing if you are in control or not. It is awful. I am also amazed by the courage sufferers exhibit. From my very first dose of cholestyramine, I felt a new sensation after eating. I felt… settled. I felt normal. I felt no need to do preemptive trips to the bathroom before starting a movie. I have been on the med for a month now, and have driven for 2 hours to pick my daughter up at the airport with NO pit-stops and little anxiety, watched movies from start to finish, taken a 4 day spring break car trip, eaten steak at a restaurant, shopped, walked after eating, soaked at a hots prings, and have begun taking off for the store on a moments notice. Life is changing.If you think you might have Habba Syndrome, Relief could be in the cards for you, too. Don't wait for years to figure it out, the way I did. I am so sad thinking about how much mental energy and physical suffering I have endured, but I am so happy to look ahead to a normal life. God Bless you all!

#17 · (Edited by Moderator)
The only long term effect I know of is Extreme Happiness. This medicine is primarily used for High Cholesterol, so if anything it will only lower your risk for any cardiac illnesses. Most people take a dose of the medicine that is less than what people take of the medicine for high cholesterol, so it is a proven, beyond low risk medication.P.S. Last night I ate 2 bowls of chili, had a slice of coconut cream pie, 2 beers, and a salad and then went out on a date. The old me would have had an extremely upset stomach. Instead with this bile absorbing medicine I felt absolutely fine. Woke up this morning without any stomach issue. I haven't had diarrhea for almost 4 months now. I've been taking the medicine for about 4 months now. THIS STUFF WORKS!!!

#18 ·
Hi. I had my gallbladder out 29 years ago, had IBS-D for 9 years, the last 3 bad, the last 3 months a living hell. I have tried Questran powders in 2007 for a bout 6 months, they did not do any good, I have been back on them again now for 3 weeks to give them another try, nothing seems to help but immodium.

#20 ·
I have had ibs-d for 10 years and im 25 yrs old, I have done well for the passed 2 1/2 yrs on a low fat, low hard to digest food diet, which doesnt leave much to eat as you probably know. I had my gallbladder removed then. But about 5 weeks ago i think i got a stomach bug and ever since ive been in hell. I've been living on ramen noodles, pretzels and immodium. I normally take 4 a day but they are not working, ive increased the dose on bad days but refuse to move the dosage up again. I have a feeling i might have habba syndrome, but i dont have health insurance right now. The sad part is im so afraid to get my hopes up, because i have come to terms knowing that i will live with this for the rest of my life.

#21 ·
To reply to cookjl124....I'm just a few years older than you and sounds like I lived with this condition untreated for a bit longer than you. I felt the same way you did about pretty much realizing I would have to live with this for the rest of my life before I was diagnosed with Habba Syndrome and cured. The very fact that you have to eat a low fat diet sounds like you have a Habba Syndrome Symptom.....If you don't have insurance, what I would do is see if your doctor or a doctor can give you a prescription for Welchol which is Colesevelam HCI (625 mg tablets). This way you won't have to take the Gall Bladder Test (even though I highly recommend people get the test done to those that have insurance) and you can take the pills in different doses between 1 to 6 a day and see if it works for you. When I saw Dr. Habba I had pretty much given up hope and thought that this would just be another unsuccessful visit to a doctor. I went because my parents showed me the TV show Mystery Diagnosis with Habba Syndrome, and I thought.....it can't hurt.....it will cost a few bucks, but SO WHAT....especially if it cures me....and it has changed my life.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.