Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner

Why does pepto bismol...

5K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Elariel 
#1 ·
darken your tongue and stools? i know this is a harmless reaction, i would just like to know *why*.. chemical reaction with the body? what? give me details if you have them!

#3 ·
I was hoping that I might be able to use Pepto-Bismol to help my IBS but unfortunately it causes me to breakout in hives.Here is Pepto-Bismol's explanation to your question from their web site.�The active ingredient in Pepto-Bismol� contains bismuth. When a small amount of bismuth combines with trace amounts of sulfur in your saliva and gastrointestinal tract, a black-colored substance (bismuth sulfide) is formed. This discoloration is temporary and harmless. It can last several days after you stop taking Pepto-Bismol�. Individual bowel habits, your age (the intestinal tract slows down with age) and the amount of the product taken all help to determine how long Pepto-Bismol� is in your system.�

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.