5 replies to this topic

#1 trying2bebrave

trying2bebrave

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 02:09 PM

Advertisement
When it comes to IBS, gas and bloating are my two biggest problems, and they seem to be big problems for many other people on this site. Like IBS, gas and bloating affect everyone differently, so if you're going to discuss a certain probiotic you tried, please describe your symptoms too!Personally, my gas doesn't have a smell, but it certainly makes a noise and it's difficult to hold in. I usually don't have any gas in the morning, but beginning an hour or so before lunch I pass gas every 2 to 3 minutes for the rest of the day. This trend occurs every day. I've tried acidofolus (sp?), Digestive Advantage, and Activia (with a lactaid - I'm lactose intolerant) with no luck. I've yet to find something that works for me.So my question is, which probiotics work the best (or the worst, if you haven't found anything that works yet) for you? Which probiotics have decreased/increased your gas and/or bloating symptoms? How long have you been taking these probiotics for?Thanks for your help! I hope we can figure this out!
"Happiness is a good bank account, a good cook, and good digestion."

-Jean Jacques Rousseau

Advertisement

#2 IanRamsay

IanRamsay

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,062 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 06:05 PM

HiBifidus family probiotics have very good results in general, especially Bifidobacterium infantis 35624, but sadly you may have to try a few before you get the right one or mix of probiotics to settle the wind. it is important to give them a good 10 days though as it may take this long to see any results.also, you may want to avoid any probiotic with FOS or inulin in it as this may make the wind worse.cheersIan
Emetophobic since 1987, IBS A (More C) since 1990, Chronic GERD + Chronic Gastritis since 1987. When people say it cant get any worse, i say at least you are still breathing! Keep the faith. Currently in remission thanks to specific strain probiotics and 12 years of probiotic reaserch.

#3 trying2bebrave

trying2bebrave

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 11:04 AM

Hi IanRamsay!Thanks so much for your reply! I'm looking online for Bifidus products right now. There seems to be a lot of hype about Align. I checked the Align website and it said that Align contains Bifidobacterium infantis 35624. Do you have any opinion on this product? I see it advertised everywhere on these forums. It sounds too good to be true...
"Happiness is a good bank account, a good cook, and good digestion."

-Jean Jacques Rousseau

#4 IanRamsay

IanRamsay

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,062 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 03:45 PM

Hi MateThe 53624 isnt a wonder drug! but it has had a very good result consistently in clinical trials and i have seen it do good things with Intestinal problems of all kinds. i have also seen it do nothing at all, so go in to it with an open mind and give it a fair shot. you can get all of teh probiotics in align much cheeper in their own strains seperately, so shop around. cheersIan
Emetophobic since 1987, IBS A (More C) since 1990, Chronic GERD + Chronic Gastritis since 1987. When people say it cant get any worse, i say at least you are still breathing! Keep the faith. Currently in remission thanks to specific strain probiotics and 12 years of probiotic reaserch.

#5 birdybird

birdybird

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 01:50 PM

I have tried several different kinds, but always come back to a brand called Reuteri. This just seems to be the best probiotic for me. I once tried Culturelle and the cramping, bloating were so bad, I had to stop. I later found out that Culturelle can do that to some people. Bottom line, you just have to shop around and find which one works best for your particular "gut" :(

#6 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34,890 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 02:12 PM

I've usedProbiotica which got sold but the Lactobacillus Reuteri sold by another company is the same strain and also works for me.AlignDigestive AdvantageGNC's Potent AcidiophilusandJarrodophilus are all ones that worked for me.I tolerate the FOS in the Jarrodophilus that I used but some people do not.
My story of beating IBS: My Story with IBS
Ph.D in Biology

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2014 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here