Advertisement

Photo

Metamucil and Mucus anyone else have this problem?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Ms Megan

Ms Megan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 08:20 AM

Advertisement
I have IBS usually constipation, so my doctor told me to take metamucil everyday, which I have been for about, 6wks now and it really seems to help most of the time. However, sometimes theres like a ton of orange mucus in my BMs, or its all mucus. I'm wondering is this caused by the metamucil? it kind of looks like the metamucil (pink lemonade flavor). Prior to taking the metamucil i would have some whiteish mucus but never the orange and never this much. Does anyone else have this issue? :( It's starting to concern me.

Advertisement

#2 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34,911 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 08:23 AM

Mucus can pick up color from things so it could be getting some color from artificial colors in the metamucil.Mucus is a non specific response (so can't really be used to decide what issue you have), and some people do find fiber a bit on the irritating side even if it can help with constipation.
My story of beating IBS: My Story with IBS
Ph.D in Biology

#3 Ms Megan

Ms Megan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 08:27 AM

I'm just wondering if i took too much of it this morning on an empty stomach? This is the 2nd or 3rd time i've had this happen. its like diahrea mucus, there's no stool in it.

#4 SneakerPimp

SneakerPimp

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 08:17 AM

I take Metamucil also and find that I have more mucus in my stool when I do take it. I think it's a fairly common and normal reaction. I wouldn't worry about it.

#5 Ms Megan

Ms Megan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 04:55 PM

Yeah I've cut my dosage in half almost and drink it slower and that issue has disappeared, so i'm figuring thats what it was. Thanks for the reply.

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2014 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here