#1 madge

madge

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 03:33 PM

Advertisement
I grow a lot of lettuce (to sell at a farmer's market) and I eat small salads often. But the only dressing I've used is low fat or no fat ranch dressing. If I don't eat too much of it and if I water it down, I don't have too much reflux. But there must be other ideas out there for those of us with GERD! Does Fench dressing contain tomatoes? If so, I guess that would be out. What about honey-dijon...is dijon mustard a reflux trigger? I know that vinegar dressings are really bad for me. Sure could use some ideas here, though, not just for me but for friends who also have reflux and sometimes come over for lunch or dinner.I could use ideas for pasta salad dressings too. Haven't had any for years, since Miracle Whip and Mayo seem to bother me. Between IBS and GERD, it's discouraging. I can't eat so many of the healthy foods I used to enjoy.

Advertisement

#2 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34,853 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 04:04 PM

http://www.drgourmet...pes.shtml#salad has some recipes generally considered to be GERD safe.But you will probably need to double check the ingredients, especially since you sound really sensitive to a lot of things.
My story of beating IBS: My Story with IBS
Ph.D in Biology

#3 AnotherOzzie

AnotherOzzie

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 11:41 PM

Many thanks Kathleen for that info. Like Madge I am also sensitive to lots of things.

#4 overitnow

overitnow

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,019 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 12:20 AM

You can smash up some garlic and add herbs that don't cause you problems--maybe with a touch of lemon juice if that is not too much--and infuse some good quality olive oil with that. I guarantee that you will get flavour and it will also work in your pasta salads.Mark
My story of beating IBS and my other chronic conditions: http://www.ibsgroup....total-wellness/

#5 Patman75

Patman75

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 908 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 08:52 AM

You can smash up some garlic and add herbs that don't cause you problems--maybe with a touch of lemon juice if that is not too much--and infuse some good quality olive oil with that. I guarantee that you will get flavour and it will also work in your pasta salads.Mark

Exactly my salad dressings. I rotate between lime and lemon juice and a bunc of different herbs to make all sorts of dressings.
Diagnosed with UC November 2004, I felt aweful until until I started seeing a Nutritionist (CCN or DACBN) in Febuary 2008. Candida diet + supplements followed by a no processed foods diet without my triggers + supplements.
Take charge of your health. Find a support group, read books, change your diet, see a nutritionist
My Progress http://www.ibsgroup....showtopic=94551

#6 madge

madge

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 12:06 PM

Thanks, everyone. I'll try the olive oil and herbs (I grow and sell herbs at a local farmer's market, and I know most of them are fine.) But garlic.....even a little gives me major reflux, unfortunately. Could try just a dash of lemon juice and see if that works too., to cut the oil a bit. I appreciate your replies!

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2014 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here