Advertisement

Photo

Mucus w/ a fishy - like smell sometimes?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 tonyad

tonyad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 11:08 PM

Advertisement
Hello, new to this board but not to IBS.I just have a quick question, Sometimes when I get the mucus stuff after a bowel movement, it has a bit of a fishy - like smell?Does that make any sense to anyone? Also, my stool has been a bit of a green color the past week or so. One day it was Bright green!No new meds, no new foods, I can not think of what the problem could be. I suppose I should call my tummy doctor.Please except my apology if this was to graphic or gross of a post. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.~Tonya

Advertisement

#2 dianajune

dianajune

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 10:34 PM

Hello, new to this board but not to IBS.I just have a quick question, Sometimes when I get the mucus stuff after a bowel movement, it has a bit of a fishy - like smell?Does that make any sense to anyone? Also, my stool has been a bit of a green color the past week or so. One day it was Bright green!No new meds, no new foods, I can not think of what the problem could be. I suppose I should call my tummy doctor.Please except my apology if this was to graphic or gross of a post. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.~Tonya

It's not unusual for me to have alot of mucus with my ibs. I don't remember having a fishy smell but sometimes the smell can be worse than that. Last week I started having diarrhea (Thursday) and it was brown at first, then green. For more details, see my other post on the general board.Prior to Thursday I noticed that some of my stools (which were well-formed) were green. I've been eating alot of raw spinach and beet greens - spinach, mostly - in an attempt to lose weight and use up what was given me. I don't like food to go to waste. I'm surprised it's taken this long for the green to work it's way out of my system, but at least this evening, even though I'm still in alot of discomfort, can say it's no longer green!You said that you're eating no new foods, but what about raw greens???? I'm afraid of touching them again because of the agony I've been in for the past several days.

#3 tonyad

tonyad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 05:05 PM

First off, Thank you for taking the time to read and reply to my post :( No, no new raw foods. Actually, now everything is almost back to normal.I say almost because......It is no longer green and no longer smelly. However I do still have the mucus a bit but that's normal for me to have off and on. Perhaps "fishy" smelling was not appropriate choice of wordss. It was just like a very foul smell...Like seaweed or soured or fishy. I can not find the right words to use It just did not smell like regular bowel movements smell (poop). Am I aloud to say that word?? lol? I would agree in your case that the green stool is coming from the raw vegetables. Have you been extra gassy eating all that raw food? if I eat to much raw fruit / veg it makes me a bit gassy. Take Care. Thanks again for your thoughts.~TonyaIt's not about waiting for the storm to pass,It's about learning to Dance in the rain!

#4 kiran

kiran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 01:23 AM

have you noticed a body odor along with this?

#5 tonyad

tonyad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 08:45 PM

No, I have no body odor. In fact I rarely even have to wear deodorant becauseI just don't have the sweaty pitt smell. Like I had mentioned yesterday, the smell has left and it is now a normal color.I increased my probiotics and ate more yogurt. Now it is gone, both smell and green color.so perhaps that helped. I had never had the smell thing before is why I had posted. I have had green bowels before in the past and I have been dx with IBS for about 13 -14 years. I am just glad that it is gone. I really appreciate your responses as It is nice to know that you can talk with others about things that you just don'tspeak of in every day conversation with just anyone. Have a nice night. Take Care, ~Tonya

#6 SalvationSeeker

SalvationSeeker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 03:12 AM

No, I have no body odor. In fact I rarely even have to wear deodorant becauseI just don't have the sweaty pitt smell. Like I had mentioned yesterday, the smell has left and it is now a normal color.I increased my probiotics and ate more yogurt. Now it is gone, both smell and green color.so perhaps that helped. I had never had the smell thing before is why I had posted. I have had green bowels before in the past and I have been dx with IBS for about 13 -14 years. I am just glad that it is gone. I really appreciate your responses as It is nice to know that you can talk with others about things that you just don'tspeak of in every day conversation with just anyone. Have a nice night. Take Care, ~Tonya

I had this as well but it never went away. Have fish smelling mucuous daily for six months, I believe it is a biochemical odor from stress induced possibly parasites or protozoans(giardia or worms)

#7 Silent

Silent

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 05:03 AM

Yea I've started getting this too.Like 3, $$$$$$ing 4 BMs daily, some only water and mucus.Praise the Lord!

#8 ramon82

ramon82

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 06:19 AM

Hi all - my case is summarized @ http://www.ibsgroup....ed-your-advice/

This morning I had an urge to poo and some mucus ended in my underwear....photo @ http://img853.images...3/5695/yv4k.jpg

Any idea if this is related to IBS or some other serious condition? no blood visible, just some fecal matter....

#9 ramon82

ramon82

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 08:09 AM

Hi everyone....

How come no one is replying to my posts ? sad.png

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2014 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

Website Monitoring by: AlertBot

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here