15 replies to this topic

#1 Lana18

Lana18

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 11:16 PM

Advertisement
I love milk and I miss having cereal for breakfast....what can I replace for milk since diary upsets my tummy??
Jalana, 22 years old
www.myspace.com/lana_18

Advertisement

#2 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34,423 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 04:55 AM

Soy milk, rice milk, almond milk.Some people find soy can be too gassy so you might start with rice milk.
My story of beating IBS: My Story with IBS
Ph.D in Biology

#3 kelseypink15

kelseypink15

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 09:12 PM

Get Almond Breeze milk! It is soooo delicious and creamy! I love it and it doesn't give me gas :( Yay! I get the unsweetened vanilla flavor and sometimes I just want to drink it out of the carton! Hahaha you can find it in the carton by the cereal or in the refrigerated section. Enjoy :)
KELSEY :)

#4 Jackie09

Jackie09

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 01:01 PM

I've tried EVERYTHING, and it seems like soy milk (Silk) and a thing called Vitamite work best for me. Soy milk does hurt my tummy if I'm having a particularly bad symptom day, but Vitamite actually tastes very close to real milk but is completely lactose free. You can usually find both at a Wal-Mart or grocery store. Milk treated with acidophilus bacteria can also work for some people!

#5 nighting-gale

nighting-gale

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 11:54 AM

rice milk (to me anyways) literally tastes like someone put a cup of rice in a blender on high :( but I really like it on cereals. almond milk is sweet... i generally prefer rice milk, but i've only ever really had it on cereal.

#6 Cherrie

Cherrie

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 06:43 PM

I've tried all three -- soy, rice, and almond milk, they all work pretty well for me. LOL, me too think the rice milk tastes just like that! :( ... I've also found the unsweetened version works best for me. The higher the sugar/sweetener level, the less comfortable my stomach feels.
Let your love flow outward through the universe, to its height, its depth, its broad extent - a limitless love, without hatred or enmity. Then as you stand or walk, sit or lie down, as long as you are awake, strive for this with a one-pointed mind; Your life will bring heaven to earth. -- Sutta Nipata

#7 Patman75

Patman75

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 908 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 07:50 PM

Some people have good result with "Raw Milk"Check out this thread.http://www.ibsgroup....s...c=96235&hl=
Diagnosed with UC November 2004, I felt aweful until until I started seeing a Nutritionist (CCN or DACBN) in Febuary 2008. Candida diet + supplements followed by a no processed foods diet without my triggers + supplements.
Take charge of your health. Find a support group, read books, change your diet, see a nutritionist
My Progress http://www.ibsgroup....showtopic=94551

#8 hope2090

hope2090

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 11:26 PM

I replaced it with soy milk. If it's the lactose in the milk that gives you the problems, you might be able to drink goat's milk because it has much less lactose than cow's milk. I've never tried it, but I heard it worked for some people.

#9 TareBear

TareBear

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 08:26 PM

There are also non-dairy "ice creams" out there - Rice Dream and Soy Dream are good. :( I like soy milk better than rice milk myself... but I'll drink either. Haven't tried Almond Breeze yet!
IBS-D, sometimes C (rarely)
Gas+Cramps

Dairy sensitive?

Currently taking: vit. D 600 IU, Calcium 400 mg, Accuflora probiotic (1-2 per day)
Alternating multivitamins

#10 transatlanticist

transatlanticist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 08:50 PM

I've found that Almond Breeze is way easier on my stomach than Silk or Lactaid and tastes pretty good, especially with cereal. Also, So Delicious makes a cookie dough ice cream from coconut milk that is dairy and gluten free, and, true to its name, is actually delicious!

#11 smalltowngurl

smalltowngurl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 January 2010 - 03:44 PM

I've tried many alternatives over the years and soy milk is my favorite! We have discovered that the kirkland (costco) vanilla flavored kind tastes just like silk and is cheaper so my parents buy it there. Also SoyDelicous Ice Cream AMAZING!!!!! :( Soy dream ick compared to it! Another staple for me is soy cheese. I love the brand veggie slices it tastes really good not like plastic!

#12 Champsleeve

Champsleeve

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 02:52 PM

I like Costco's brand of soy milk too but I get the plain. I prefer it to Silk and you can't beat the price. Almond milk is really good if you want something more dessert-like in taste. My daughter prefers rice milk to all of them though so I guess it just depends on the person. Giving up dairy did more to help my IBS than anything else I've tried.

#13 emepe22

emepe22

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 01:43 PM

Be carefull, there is so much calcium in milk... it may be difficult to eat enough calcium from other products... ask a dietetics to help, and check if you eat enough calcium.There is some lactose free milk (I'm from Montreal,Canada so here there is two brand: Lacteze and Natrel lactose free milk). The taste may be different (more sweet) but with cereals, there is no difference.Moreover, I found that some coffee shop offers lactose free milk !!Also, there is some "lactase" (the enzyme that your body cannot produce anymore in order to digest lactose) that you can eat BEFORE eating dairy product, or add some drops in milk.Your body may continue to produce lactase but a certain level. Therefore, maybe you can eat a small portion without symptoms...

#14 SneakerPimp

SneakerPimp

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 08:27 PM

I like Almond Breeze the best.I'd stay far away from soy in any form for awhile if I were you, as well as dairy. It's not just the lactose in dairy that can cause problems, but the CASEIN in dairy as well. And soy is notoriously hard to digest. If you're doing an elimination diet, stick with rice or almond milk.And seriously, dairy isn't really good for you in the first place. Going off dairy was the best thing I've ever done for my IBS. Second to going gluten free. Just because you don't have Celiacs (I don't) doesn't mean that gluten isn't a problem.Also, from what I've read, going gluten free can sometimes reverse lactose intolerance....I do miss yoghurt though.

#15 nigol

nigol

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 02:43 AM

I like Almond Breeze the best.I'd stay far away from soy in any form for awhile if I were you, as well as dairy. It's not just the lactose in dairy that can cause problems, but the CASEIN in dairy as well. And soy is notoriously hard to digest. If you're doing an elimination diet, stick with rice or almond milk.And seriously, dairy isn't really good for you in the first place. Going off dairy was the best thing I've ever done for my IBS. Second to going gluten free. Just because you don't have Celiacs (I don't) doesn't mean that gluten isn't a problem.Also, from what I've read, going gluten free can sometimes reverse lactose intolerance....I do miss yoghurt though.

but dont we need dairy in our lives to function??? I can live without milk but yogurt should be okay in my opinion.

#16 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34,423 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 06:19 AM

Dairy has some good things in it, but you can eat a healthy diet and be perfectly fine and never touch dairy. People with severe dairy allergies who can't have any dairy do OK as long as they stay off the moo-juice.Now you do have to replace the calcium from milk from other dietary sources, but dairy isn't the only way to get that calcium.Now some people may like dairy enough that they feel their diet isn't complete without it and so may feel it helps them function, but it is not biologically required that we have dairy every day and there is no other way to get what we need.A lot depends on your individual tolerance. If you do fine with some yogurt there is no reason to stop that even if other people feel they need to. And if someone feels better eliminating all dairy, then they shouldn't be forced to consume dairy.
My story of beating IBS: My Story with IBS
Ph.D in Biology

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2014 All rights reserved IBS Self Help and Support Group

Website Monitoring by: AlertBot

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here