27 replies to this topic

#1 workinghard

workinghard

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 02:19 PM

Advertisement
Hi, I just wanted to stop in to mention how much the low sulfur diet has helped me with my gas/lg-- and I wanted to say thanks for the help. LG has really affected me for the last two years, and now I've finally gotten a little reprieve-- I even saw a movie in a crowded theater last week! For those still looking to beat lg, I can share what helped me: For supplements, activia and pepto bismol --hehe thats it! ...and to think of the laundry list of #### I was paying for before. For diet: low sulfur, no wheat and no caffeine. I'll have a small amount of meat (around 5 oz) with meals, and less if its red meat. With these restrictions I basically eat what the mayo clinic recommends on their food pyramid. Also I think the wheat issues are individual to me- i've always had trouble digesting it. Thanks everyone for the help and support! I swear I thought about suicide sometimes when I didn't think I'd get through this, it was always good to log onto this board and remember that I'm not the only one. Good luck everyone!

Advertisement

#2 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34,853 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 04:24 PM

I'm so glad to hear it is working well for you. Hope everything keeps going well.
My story of beating IBS: My Story with IBS
Ph.D in Biology

#3 proudLgaser

proudLgaser

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 05:48 PM

congrats :( I think the secret is in the caffeine,I accidentally skipped tea for somedays i noticed that my mental state(usually connect to my FBO)changed but i didn't test that in public it has been two months i didn't leave the house, caffeine may be an aggravating factor for a mentall illness that disturb our intestinal motility and it's reflexes and this explain many of my symptoms.let me not forget the wheat-free diet that reduced my gases alot *i can swear that FBO and LG have something to do with diet and mentality,i'm not sure which is the trigger and which is the irritator**i saw a tv programme where they put a plastic tube in the butt of two normal persons to measure how much gass they will produce in 24hrs,i was astonished!each one fulled 5 balloons but i'm wondering how can they control their gasses!!!

#4 Constinker

Constinker

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 01:04 PM

I'm starting to think it's got a lot to do with mental state as well. I quit one of the stressful classes I was teaching and I had a noticable reduction in both stress and amount of smell coming out.I drink a lot of coffee, perhaps I should do away with that for a bit and see how that goes.

#5 mindnbody

mindnbody

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 09:19 AM

Hi, I just wanted to stop in to mention how much the low sulfur diet has helped me with my gas/lg-- and I wanted to say thanks for the help. LG has really affected me for the last two years, and now I've finally gotten a little reprieve-- I even saw a movie in a crowded theater last week! For those still looking to beat lg, I can share what helped me: For supplements, activia and pepto bismol --hehe thats it! ...and to think of the laundry list of #### I was paying for before. For diet: low sulfur, no wheat and no caffeine. I'll have a small amount of meat (around 5 oz) with meals, and less if its red meat. With these restrictions I basically eat what the mayo clinic recommends on their food pyramid. Also I think the wheat issues are individual to me- i've always had trouble digesting it. Thanks everyone for the help and support! I swear I thought about suicide sometimes when I didn't think I'd get through this, it was always good to log onto this board and remember that I'm not the only one. Good luck everyone!

I just started buying Activia by Dannon. I can't say I've noticed much of a difference yet. Digestive system-wise. Not gas-wise. It's supposed to take two weeks to see an improvement. I much prefer to buy the large container size, instead of the smaller sizes--usually in packs. But the larger container seemingly only comes in the Vanilla flavor. I love the berry flavors that come in the smaller packs. I wish they had the berry flavor in the large containers.I have less gas if I don't eat a lot of fiber.

#6 Casey65

Casey65

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 11:53 PM

Do you know longer have it or has it just improved?

#7 Constinker

Constinker

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 10:38 AM

Soluble fiber produces gas, insoluble fiber doesn't. Jacksongi.com has a great table of foods with their soluble and insoluble fiber content.

#8 getting better 666

getting better 666

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 12:02 PM

workinghard, have you been completely cured, or just improved? I had tried the long list of things, but nothing is really the cure. although sometimes I do get some improvement, i don't think that was the right treatment. I still believe there is the cure for LG, but I just didn't find it yet. I hope low sulfur diet could be the cure. could you give me some curent update?

#9 Helpless!

Helpless!

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 12:06 AM

Congratulations to you Workinghard! I was curious what kind of foods do you eat? Do you plan out what you'll eat daily. I think I've been always looking for a rx/OTC/probiotic/digestive enzyme/ fix but none have worked. I think Kathleen mentioned to try fructose free diet-I havent' tried yet (There are some books that are waiting for me in the library about it that I will pick up soon)I was curious what kind of foods you eat with a sulfur diet and is it easy to get from the market or cook (I can barely cook) and I'm a busy student/worker.Please do tell what kind of easy to make foods and snacks you eat that are low sulfur or fructose free?

#10 workinghard

workinghard

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 04:22 AM

gettingbetter- i'm def. not cured. if i stray from the diet i will get LG again. sulfur is in a lot of foods, sometimes as a preservative, and i keep finding things to put on the "do not eat" list. but- i am 100% normal when i stick to the diet. also keep in mind that if you eat enough fiber you will have gas- the trick is keeping it odorless.helpless- thanks =) it might be tough to do low sulfur w/out cooking yourself, but not impossible. I eat a lot of fruit actually. Fruit does give me gas, but w/out the sulfur it is not negative socially (except for dried fruit, avoid it like the plague!). Nuts are a good snack too. For breakfast I have some yogurt and fruit/nuts. for lunch i eat dinner leftovers, and when i cook dinner i use mostly a combination of rice/quinoa/chicken/turkey/beans/vegis. i'd suggest buying a rice maker and learning to cook meat in a pan w/ olive oil (load up the rice maker, then when its done you can cook the meat/vegis in 10min). as far is the diet is concerned, there is a lot of trial and error, the lists online are a good place to start though. for supplements i do take betaine hcl and eat activia, but that is more for regularity/bowel-health than LG (i doubt they are necessary for the diet).

#11 kiran

kiran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 10:45 AM

Sounds like the OP has TMAU and is controlling it with a diet low in sulfur and choline.

#12 workinghard

workinghard

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 01:27 AM

Nah kiran. You cant develop tmau later in life. My issues started exactly when my ibs started.

#13 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34,853 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 07:14 AM

There are cases where it appears to start up in adulthood, but usually there was some liver problem like hepatitis that happened before it showed up.
Ph.D in Biology

#14 brute force

brute force

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 March 2010 - 04:40 AM

Was ignorant of this world until a few months ago. I've been having this problem where throughout the day I'm emitting a really bad odor, I'm not even aware of passing wind or anything, it just seems to come from nowhere, really sulfuric smell. Im wondering if this is LG? (What's LG?) Possibly worse with certain foods. I have a hunch that it has to do with the food break down, not happening as it should. It can be pretty bad. New to this, not even sure where to start, maybe a low sulfur diet, activa and pepto bismol...?Nice to know I'm not alone though.

#15 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34,853 posts

Posted 13 March 2010 - 07:39 AM

Leaky gas is not a technical term and has no precise definition.Generally refers to some odor issue in general but the original coiners of the term had no sensation of farting, could not smell the odor themselves, got comments about the odor from others, nothing that reduced intestinal gas volume or effected the gas odor in people who know when the pass a smelly fart seemed to help. Personal Hygiene was good.However now it tends to be anyone with odor, includin those with some sensation of farting or losing gas, those that can smell themselves and some people who find the things that reduce gas odor in people who know they fart work.The smell of fart gases is determined more by which bacteria you have. Not whether you digest your food or not. Generally people have one of two kinds of bacteria that like the parts of the colon with little or no oxygen. The methane producers, and the sulfur reducers. They live in the same ecological niche in the colon and you usually have one or the other. Sometime the ecology gets disrupted and people switch (they have found a colonoscopy prep can sometimes make someone lose the methane producing bacteria so it doesn't have to be some major event. I find I switch back and forth depending on iron supplements which I take for anemia). We constantly get reseeded from the environment so changes in environment may also depend on which of the two types are dominating the ecological niche. Now some people have neither in the niche but most people are one or the other.Anyway Sulfur reducing bacteria are normal bacteria in the gut. They eat normal food in the colon. They are not an infection or sign that something is bad with the digestive process.Reducing their food source with a lower protein/lower sulfur diet does work for some people. A lot of people who switch to a meat heavy Atkins diet with no other GI problems will find their gas odor changes. Adding some Pepto Bismol which will absorb the sulfur gases may help as well.That is a good first trial run. You might want to add probiotics (they don't produce gas when they digest carbs nor can they convert amino acids or other sulfur in the diet to gases) as that can reduce gas volume and also can shake up the ecology a bit (new kid on the block effect) and that may help as well.You may also try a choline reduced diet, especially if the odor seems more general than just intestinal odor. While TMAU is rare, and genetic, it does sometimes stay pretty latent for awhile. You need some choline, but you generally want to keep portions small. A lower protein diet (3-4 ounces of meat or fish per meal) also tends to keep there from being extra choline running around.
Ph.D in Biology

#16 brute force

brute force

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 March 2010 - 07:55 AM

Yes fortunately I can smell it. Unfortunately its awful. Thanks so much for your detailed response Kathleen, I'll try the things you've suggested, see how it goes.

#17 silenthill123

silenthill123

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 March 2010 - 09:05 PM

Congrats Workinghard, it's always great to read a success story. I'm at university right now and sometimes it's so hard, luckily the majority of people there are mature and no one has said anything to my face but I hear them whispering about me and making jokes they think I can't hear from time to time. I'm so paranoid these days it's unreal. I got sectioned and ended up in a hospital because of this in 2007 and do not want to end up that bad again but I've considered suicide a few times the last couple of weeks. I just have to remember that I'm still a nice person and not to let this stop me from doing what I want to. I think I'm gonna try something along these lines. Kathleen any idea if popcorn smelling LG is more methane or sulfur type gas? I never used to be able to smell it but recently I can and it's so nasty! Would a low sulfur diet help either way? I think the biggest thing with me is I don't drink any tea or coffea but I drink soda and squash drinks everyday. I'm seriously overweight and eat a load of **** to be honest. I did try the healthy eating thing a while back but ended up crashing and feeling so sick about a month into it so I gave it up. I felt a lot better but I'm not sure if it helped with the LG or not

#18 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34,853 posts

Posted 13 March 2010 - 09:27 PM

Popcorn?Methane has no odor. (they add some Hydrogen Sulfide to it for the natural gas that comes to the home so you notice a gas leak. Otherwise the first hint usually is the big boom).Most of the sulfurous gases are more of the rotting egg spectrum of things.
Ph.D in Biology

#19 silenthill123

silenthill123

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 01:05 PM

Yeah that's what it smells like popcorn mixed with ****. A while back I heard people laughing that it smelt like popcorn once in a lecture now I know what they were talking about lol. I actually think I do have a problem with wheat, I eat a lot of white carbs but I've started swapping them for wholegrain stuff now instead. When I eat things like too much bread, stuffing, onions and sausages I always get bad normal gas for about days after. Any ideas about it? Funny thing is while I was backpacking through China, I had hardly any problems at all. Obviously it still was an issue on long bus, train and plane journeys but then again some days I was only eating once a day. There's no way I could do that here in the UK though.

#20 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34,853 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 01:29 PM

Rice generally creates a lot less gas than wheat (although some parts of China do eat a fair amount of wheat)But that is more a volume thing than a smell thing. Chinese food often tends to have a lot more veggies and a lot less meat so that can be a big thing with gas odor.Also if you are walking a lot (like backpacking) that can effect how gas moves, etc.
Ph.D in Biology

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2014 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here