11 replies to this topic

#1 thelibertine

thelibertine

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 08:00 AM

Advertisement
I just wondered if anyone else had this? Basically the only thing I've found to ease my pain is hot water bottles and I quite honestly would be lost without one, I don't think I've gone a single day in months without at least once in the day (usually towards nighttimes) having to use one to numb the pain. However this has resulted in mottled skin on my lower ab area. I've been told off by the doctors but I just don't know what to do, if I don't use one for a few weeks it begins to fade but I really need the hot water bottles.Are there any other ways to ease pain that wont mottle my skin but have a similar effect? Hot baths are not an option when I'm away at uni as I only have a shower.

Advertisement

#2 BQ

BQ

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14,274 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 08:34 AM

Perhaps you would be better off using an electric heating pad? The temperature on those is probably a bit easier to control than with a hot water bottle, so you'd be sure it wasn't too hot. As far as your skin goes.. I don't know what you mean by "mottled" but I know for myself when I have to use a heating pad for any serious stretch of time, my skin can get a bit dried out. So I just use extra moisturizer. All the bestBQ
Please remember this is a group of folks seeking support on how to live with and manage IBS. THESE ARE ONLY MY OWN THOUGHTS. IF YOU WANT AN EXPERT OPINION, ASK A MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL.

#3 thelibertine

thelibertine

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 09:28 AM

I have heard of the heatpacks but thought they only worked once so thought this would be expensive? Are there reheatable ones.And mottling basically means I have areas of darker pigmentation, it looks a little like bruising.Example:Posted Image

#4 BQ

BQ

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14,274 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 09:39 AM

Ok I see about the mottled. I think you may just have to adjust the heat of the water bottle to be a bit cooler or lessen the amount of time you use it. No I'm not talking about heat patches that stick on. They are good but could be expensive for everyday use. I am talking about an electric heating pad.Like this:http://www.walmart.c...duct_id=9875664You can adjust the heat level and some even have automatic shut offs after a certain time.But to get rid of the mottling... from what I just read.. you must reduce your exposure to the extreme heat. And I just thought using an electric heating pad may help you better control the heat and the time you are exposed to it.All the bestBQ
Please remember this is a group of folks seeking support on how to live with and manage IBS. THESE ARE ONLY MY OWN THOUGHTS. IF YOU WANT AN EXPERT OPINION, ASK A MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL.

#5 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34,904 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 09:40 AM

There are air activated heat pads that are single use. Once the chemical reaction that generates the heat is gone it is over.There are electric heating pads where you can set them for different temperatures. You do have to be where you can plug it in, but you can play around to find a temperature low enough you don't damage the skin.From what I'm reading the only way to make that go away is stop applying heat.So peppermint, antispasmodics, antidepressants, hypnotherapy, all have been tried and do not do anything for the pain?
My story of beating IBS: My Story with IBS
Ph.D in Biology

#6 BQ

BQ

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14,274 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 10:06 AM

I have found that even progressive relaxation techniques can back the pain off for me at times.Here is some info about them:http://www.stress-re...-technique.htmlAnd here is another example:http://cas.umkc.edu/casww/relaxatn.htmHope this helps!BQ

#7 thelibertine

thelibertine

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 01:03 PM

Thankyou for all of your responses. I drink peppermint tea but have not tried the capsules, do these help moreso? Antispasmodics have made my stomach ache worse. And I am on antidepressants but these only seem to help when I first take them (to sleep) as for hypnotherapy I am currently looking into Mike's CD's as a possibility.I have tried some breathing relaxation techniques but found them hard to be able to do in a public situation if I get stomach pains, not that I can walk around with a hot water bottle on in public either. The electric heatpad could be something I could look into though, even if I have to have some rest from heat near my stomach for a while and look into other ways of reducing pain.I will take a lot at these muscle relaxing episodes as they certainly look interesting.Thanks for all of your suggestions, will report back soon!

#8 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34,904 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 01:10 PM

Some people like the capsules. I tend to carry Altoids with me. The original ones have peppermint oil in them and regular sugar (rather than a sugar alcohol) and can be quicker in a pinch than a cup of tea.
Ph.D in Biology

#9 Puppy3D

Puppy3D

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 06:13 PM

@ thelibertineI have similar issues like you. My gut is painful tender all the time. The only thing that works a bit is a hot heating bottle on my tummy. I have to boiling water. Hot water from water tap is not enough hot for me. I also can say that nothing was working for my pain. No antspasmocis, no peppermint caps., no antidepressant, no zelnorm, relaxing techniques etc. i tried really everything in the last 10 years.
IBS pain

#10 BQ

BQ

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14,274 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 06:20 PM

Puppy Have you thought to try gut directed hypnotherapy? That was THE best thing I did for my IBS pain. And my pain was severe and made me near dysfunctional for 20 some odd days out of a month. I did Mike Mahoney's"IBS Audioprogram 100". Nothing works on my pain like that does.. not even narcotics.Go to the CBT/Hypnotherapy for more info about those two treatment options:(There are quite a few great informational posts thumbtacked to the top of the page)Just click here:http://www.ibsgroup....php?showforum=9Here is Mike's site about his program:http://www.healthyau.../ibs?r=VmPRrcNkHope this helpsBQ

#11 thelibertine

thelibertine

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 08:17 AM

I am so glad that someone else is in the same position! I have not used my hot water bottle in two days, though I have not had any significant pain to warrant it, or have tried to ignore it. I have bought some stick on heat pads for if I get something really bad as an alternative, they are stuck over the clothes so shoudl not mottle as much.Also am still very much considering buying Mike's CD when I get some cash and anew mp3 player. Thanks very much for everyones suggestions.Anyone know where I can get altoids from in the UK?

#12 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34,904 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 08:21 AM

If you search google limited to the UK there are several on-line sources.I find it funny you can get them everywhere over here, but they aren't that popular in the UK as that is where the company is from.Any peppermint made with real peppermint oil will work. The Altoids are nice because they are very strong.
Ph.D in Biology

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2014 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here