5 replies to this topic

#1 Breck

Breck

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 30 November 2003 - 11:04 PM

Advertisement
My nephew has a dammaged nerve in his back as a result from injuries playing hockey. His doctors have told him that his constipation is a result of this nerve dammage. Can anybody explain this to me?

Advertisement

#2 flux

flux

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10,398 posts

Posted 01 December 2003 - 01:43 AM

This make sense. The last portion of the large intestine is under control of the parasympathetic's sacral nerves. And the lower back is about where they emerge. Urination may also be affected.
I am not a doctor, but utilize sources of information not readily available to the public. Some of this information may contradict what you think you know and some of it may sound harsh, but the information is what it is, and you got it here for free. I am just a messenger. Always consult a real doctor.

#3 westford2

westford2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 01 December 2003 - 01:16 PM

Anyone know precisely which nerves when damaged - at which vertebrae - can cause constipation?I've thought my lower back problems might be involved for a long time, but a rectal surgeon told me that constipation from compressed lower back nerves was impossible! Thanks!Dave

#4 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34,890 posts

Posted 01 December 2003 - 01:39 PM

from http://www.bartleby.com/107/214.html looks like most of the nerves to the colon come off in the lumbar region, usually damage anywhere above a certain point is the problem (so you break your neck all the lumbar nerve stuff happens as well as anything up in your neck)I don't know if compressed nerves are the problem as much as when you have damage and the nerves have no function left at all (so I think this is more of a if you got paralysis-causing damage rather than pinched nerve damage).The colon has both nerves that run it's own program AND nerves that connect to the CNS (and other parts of the GI tract) and I don't know if it is known exactly what damage is needed to cause constipation, but it does seem to be an issue for people in wheelchairs.K.
My story of beating IBS: My Story with IBS
Ph.D in Biology

#5 k*

k*

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,913 posts

Posted 01 December 2003 - 07:11 PM

this topic is rather interesting. i wonder if all wheelchair bound people suffer from low peristalsis.
My IBS is gone! (almost 8 months now)
There is Hope!

#6 westford2

westford2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 December 2003 - 04:04 AM

Thanks to those who replyed!

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2014 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here