4 replies to this topic

#1 nw0528

nw0528

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 09:34 PM

Advertisement
I started taking one gram colestipol twice daily on Saturday. I took it at 10 am and 4 pm. For the first time in two years, I did not run to the bathroom after lunch and dinner. Besides feeling crampy and having hicccups a lot, I felt great. Sunday I took it again at those same times and I did have to run to the bathroom after eating. This morning, getting ready for work, I had one of my WORST times with diarrehea that I have had in a long time. It ended up taking 8 Immodium to stop the D. so I could get to work. (That's a common dosage for me.) So, my question for folks who have taken colestipol for IBS-D or Habba is how long after taking it did you see improvement? Was it immediate or did it take a few weeks? Also, what kind of dosage do people take? The package insert talks about increasing the dosage after a month or two. I'm thinking that is more for people who take it for its intended purpose of cholesterol lowering. Any info. would be appreciated!Thanks!Nicole

Advertisement

#2 BQ

BQ

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13,859 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 11:58 PM

Well I would give it a week at least and if you see no improvement.. give the Doc a call.
Please remember this is a group of folks seeking support on how to live with and manage IBS. THESE ARE ONLY MY OWN THOUGHTS. IF YOU WANT AN EXPERT OPINION, ASK A MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL.

#3 nw0528

nw0528

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 09:16 AM

I've heard others on this board say that within the first dose or two they had complete improvement. My first two weeks on Colestipol were AWFUL - terrible intestinal cramping, more D. than usual, and taking at least 12 Immodium to control it to go to work. I even missed two days of work. Then yesterday, I had ONE normal BM (I usually have 2-3 after EVERY MEAL). I'm curious if others had good results after being on Colestipol for a couple of weeks. We aren't sure if I have Habba (which I think would have responded to the Colestipol immediately) or just if the side effect of constipation for Colestipol will help my IBS-D.Nicole

#4 On Edge

On Edge

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 08:37 AM

I've had 2 days of Questran/cholestyramine and I see no improvement at all. I would also like to hear from users how long it might take for this to take effect. If at all. My hopes are up but over the past 2 years nothing has helped and the Questran feels like my last grasp at relief.

#5 Memphis Mel

Memphis Mel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 04:19 AM

I've heard others on this board say that within the first dose or two they had complete improvement. My first two weeks on Colestipol were AWFUL - terrible intestinal cramping, more D. than usual, and taking at least 12 Immodium to control it to go to work. I even missed two days of work. Then yesterday, I had ONE normal BM (I usually have 2-3 after EVERY MEAL). I'm curious if others had good results after being on Colestipol for a couple of weeks. We aren't sure if I have Habba (which I think would have responded to the Colestipol immediately) or just if the side effect of constipation for Colestipol will help my IBS-D.Nicole

Colestid - once a day (taken at night). First day made me feel bloated and after about the 3rd day, got diarrhea as bad as ever, but now I've been taking it for about 2 1/2 months and it has really helped. I am taking fiber every day also to prevent the constipation that can happen. I still had diarrhea, but much less frequent, and haven't had diarrhea at all for the last 25 days. It has definitely helped, but need fiber also. (I also take Librax before eating out). I try to avoid Imodium, but take it if absolutely necessary.

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2014 All rights reserved IBS Self Help and Support Group

Website Monitoring by: AlertBot

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here