Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner

gas/bloating/anxiety attacks! please help me!

21K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Dedi 
#1 ·
Hey, I’m a 22 year old female suffering from really bad gas and bloating and anxiety attacks. I don’t have any other symptoms like constipation or diarrhoea. I am fit and healthy, exercise for an hour at least 5 times a week and dont eat junk food!Sorry this is such a long story but I am losing my mind!It 1st started after a holiday to Turkey only 5 months ago. I had never had any of these feelings before this holiday EVER!While I was in Turkey I got an upset stomach and took Imodium which then made me constipated for about 7 days (I have no idea if that is normal). A week or so after I got back I started to suffer with really, really bad gas. I get terrible grumbling feelings in my lower abdomen and passing wind throughout the day, all day, everyday! In honesty I thought it was my rye biscuits I was having for my dinner! So I stopped eating them but the gas has carried on. I don’t have a distended stomach but even though I have been passing wind all the time, I am still bloated. During the last 5 months, I have been to the doctors a few times and each different doctor said, ‘its only IBS… here have some peppermint, they might work but they might not’… I was like, oh thanks doc…I have been on every single tablet under the sun, in fact I think I nearly bought out Holland and Barrett! Peppermint, mobeverine, charcoal, lactose supplements etc etc but nothing has worked for me.I have self diagnosed myself as to also having anxiety attacks. I no what these are and how they work as I suffered from them for a short while when I was 18 and took beta blockers for a month or so.My anxiety has become really bad as after I got back from my holiday I have had a tough and very upsetting time with a close friend and starting university, but also, because of my problem I cant enjoy a physical and sexual relationship with my boyfriend.I have been with him for 7 months and he is amazing, and totally understands the stress this is causing me but…. I cant pass wind in front of him (through pure embarrassment) in fact any mention of poo or fart and I go absolutely red in the face, I just cant talk about it and don’t know why and I am really trying to work on that… but still the problem is still here and its making my anxiety attacks worse because every time we come close to intimacy, my anxiety causes my wind to get worse (…this is hard for me to repeat and and i'm suffering from an attack while I am typing this but here goes..one very embarrassing time, I actually broke wind during fore play and my situation has got worse since then)This problem is tearing me apart and I don’t know what to do!I have got myself an ‘anxiety attack’ self hypnosis cd to listen to which I hope will calm me down. I recently went to a natural health clinic for colonic hydrotherapy to see if it would have any benefits and it didn’t. The therapist told me straight that it wouldn’t cure the problem and that I could have tests done that will see how well my stomach acid is working and my pancreas and small intestine.Has anyone had these tests?? Used hypnotherapy? Or no of anything that could help me?I am open to any ideas!xxx

See less See more
#4 ·
Hi TerriSorry you're having these symptoms. Have you tried Gas-X (Generic: Simethicone) or Beano (Generic: alpha-D-galactosidase)? These, esp. Beano, can reduce gas and hopefully could be of some help.How's the hypnotherapy for anxiety? Any improvement? When I was at college (about 18) I was the same -- people talking about bodily funcitons, I'd go red in the face; answering a question posed by the prof. in a 30 people class, I'd go completely red in the face and my heart would race like crazy. Then I had a big bout of IBS-like and anxiety symptoms at 19 (didn't know what it was at the time) and somehow went away afterwards, I saw a dr. who said to me that everyone has these bodily functions and everyone (has to) talk about them occasionally. So that kind of eased it a little bit for me. As I get older and then get married and then hearing my married friends talk about this aspect about their kids, then I kinda realized, hey, it's OK... But if the anxiety attacks persist and interrupt daily life, it's probably worth seeing a dr. ...

#5 ·
Hi Terri,I have had the exact same symptoms for 7 years except the past year its developed into diarrhoea also. I'm really finding it hard to cope. If i eat anything i guarentee that in about an hour by stomach will be going crazy, its stopped me do so many things, and in consquence the relationship part of my life struggles because like you i get extremely embarrased and dont think i could open up to a partner in that way. Have you had any success in the treatments you were looking at?

#6 ·
Hi TerriTry MANUKA Honey for your gas and bloating its works for a lot of people. even my wifes doctor is looking in to this as he has had so many good reports about it.Manuka honey comes in different strenght levels from +5% up to + 20 % the best one to get is the + 15%Hope this help Brian

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.