3 replies to this topic

#1 Evan79

Evan79

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 05:59 PM

Advertisement
Hi,I've been taking more than recommended dosages (5-6 instead of 3) of Probiotics lately and have been experiencing some diarrhea / loose stool. I am wondering if the probiotics could be causing this. Also, I take a couple of different brands of Probiotics (Jarrow, Primal defense) per day and was wondering if that might or might not be good. Thanks,Evan

Advertisement

#2 BQ

BQ

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14,274 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 06:24 PM

Taking too much probiotic could cause a bacterial imbalance. Sure. Try stopping some of them or going down to at least the suggested dosage and see if the loose stools improve???
Please remember this is a group of folks seeking support on how to live with and manage IBS. THESE ARE ONLY MY OWN THOUGHTS. IF YOU WANT AN EXPERT OPINION, ASK A MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL.

#3 IanRamsay

IanRamsay

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,062 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 02:33 PM

I second that BQ. stop for a few days and then start at teh reccomended dose, stay there for a couple of months and if you feel you need to, slowly upp teh doseage. probiotics are basically harmless unless you are suffering from a serious illness, so you cannot really hurt yourself with them in large doses (Trust me, through my research at one point i was taking hundreds of billions every 2 hours for 2 weeks 24/7). BUT taking too many for your system to handle or taking too many too soon can cause C and/or D. as the bacteria that you are3 putting in are essentailly transient, they will pass through you so your balance can revert to previous levels (in a round about way). so give em a break for a few days get your D under controll and start again.CheersIan
Emetophobic since 1987, IBS A (More C) since 1990, Chronic GERD + Chronic Gastritis since 1987. When people say it cant get any worse, i say at least you are still breathing! Keep the faith. Currently in remission thanks to specific strain probiotics and 12 years of probiotic reaserch.

#4 Evan79

Evan79

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 01:00 PM

Thanks, that's what I'm going to try now.

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2014 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here