3 replies to this topic

#1 Evan79

Evan79

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 05:59 PM

Advertisement
Hi,I've been taking more than recommended dosages (5-6 instead of 3) of Probiotics lately and have been experiencing some diarrhea / loose stool. I am wondering if the probiotics could be causing this. Also, I take a couple of different brands of Probiotics (Jarrow, Primal defense) per day and was wondering if that might or might not be good. Thanks,Evan

Advertisement

#2 BQ

BQ

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13,861 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 06:24 PM

Taking too much probiotic could cause a bacterial imbalance. Sure. Try stopping some of them or going down to at least the suggested dosage and see if the loose stools improve???
Please remember this is a group of folks seeking support on how to live with and manage IBS. THESE ARE ONLY MY OWN THOUGHTS. IF YOU WANT AN EXPERT OPINION, ASK A MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL.

#3 IanRamsay

IanRamsay

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,062 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 02:33 PM

I second that BQ. stop for a few days and then start at teh reccomended dose, stay there for a couple of months and if you feel you need to, slowly upp teh doseage. probiotics are basically harmless unless you are suffering from a serious illness, so you cannot really hurt yourself with them in large doses (Trust me, through my research at one point i was taking hundreds of billions every 2 hours for 2 weeks 24/7). BUT taking too many for your system to handle or taking too many too soon can cause C and/or D. as the bacteria that you are3 putting in are essentailly transient, they will pass through you so your balance can revert to previous levels (in a round about way). so give em a break for a few days get your D under controll and start again.CheersIan
Emetophobic since 1987, IBS A (More C) since 1990, Chronic GERD + Chronic Gastritis since 1987. When people say it cant get any worse, i say at least you are still breathing! Keep the faith. Currently in remission thanks to specific strain probiotics and 12 years of probiotic reaserch.

#4 Evan79

Evan79

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 01:00 PM

Thanks, that's what I'm going to try now.

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2014 All rights reserved IBS Self Help and Support Group

Website Monitoring by: AlertBot

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here