#1 poopster

poopster

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 21 March 2003 - 10:53 AM

Advertisement
My stools have been pretty much liquid for months. How do you bulk them up? I am fluctuating between D & C.

Advertisement

#2 Vicky21

Vicky21

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 888 posts

Posted 21 March 2003 - 11:07 AM

the doc gave me fybogel to mix with water twice a day and drink. it's sorta worked too

#3 karlastitches

karlastitches

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 21 March 2003 - 09:21 PM

I have had ibs for over 20 years and suffered from the after effects with internal hemmrhoids and a fissure, which took 5 months to heal. Only a year ago a doctor told me to take metimucil. I take 1 tsp (if the package says tsp, some of the packages have a tbsp) 3-6 times a day, depending on how bad it is. This is the first time in my life that I have normal stools. I still suffer from the other symptoms, of gas pockets and going to the bathroom more, but it is always formed 90% of the time. Hope that helpedKarlastitches

#4 lonely_guy

lonely_guy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 March 2003 - 01:46 PM

There are several ways to increase stool bulk:1. Decrease stool movement, thereby increasing water uptake.2. Increase stool volume and "consistency"You may find that kaolin & morphine help in bad attacks as this generally stops stuff moving so fast. Or immodium or a anti diarrhoea helps to slow stuff down therefore longer between excretions therefore more bulk. As someone else has mentioned fybogel works wonders, I USED TO HAVE VERY LOOSE STOOLS, but now taking only 1 sachet a day ive returned to a more normal 1-2 excretions a day, it really really helped. Im not a doctor and nor pretend to be, just using what ive learnt and a bit of biology from my degree!

#5 Vicky21

Vicky21

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 888 posts

Posted 22 March 2003 - 05:24 PM

did fybogel work for you? i find im going once a day, if that.

#6 John

John

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts

Posted 23 March 2003 - 10:05 AM

Hey poopster, how are you? I still correspond with poopy...remember her? I've been taking the generic equivilant of Caltrate Plus (purple and white box)and eating a bowl of oatmeal with oat bran for the past 4 years. That's helped me along with taking an antidepressant called Effexor XR. You take care and I hope you'll find a solution soon. Posted Image
Posted Image

"A key to loving life is to laugh everyday."

#7 Hdog

Hdog

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 23 March 2003 - 12:58 PM

I have found taking a water soluble fiber supplement like psyllium that is used in Metamucil, Konsyl, Equate from Wal Mart and others are stool bulking agents. Start off slow because ---it does breakdown by intestinal bacteria, ferments and causes gas/ flatulence. But, with continued use the gas goes away--- thank goodness. It's safe to take daily. Just make sure you drink an adeguate amount of water like it says on the container.I wish you well---H

#8 Vicky21

Vicky21

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 888 posts

Posted 23 March 2003 - 05:57 PM

i was wondering how anti depressents can help ppl with IBS? i may sound thick but i really dont know much about them..

#9 Jleigh

Jleigh

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 23 March 2003 - 10:59 PM

Hi Poopster,I used to have watery D all the time. I still have urgency but the D part is under control most of the time. It took me forever to get the nerve to try fiber because it seemed like every time I did, I had terrible D but I got brave and tried a cereal called Kashi Go Lean and it was amazing. It is very healthy so the taste is not like froot loops or something but it is fine. I eat 1/2 to 3/4 cup each morning. Sometimes I add blueberries and that gives me a break. Sometimes I eat Raisen Bran too and it works but you have to eat more of it to get the same effect.I also take Calcium twice a day with meals.Hope this helps.Jleigh

#10 Sanguine

Sanguine

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 March 2003 - 12:41 AM

Yellow squash!! Works for me.

#11 Burton73

Burton73

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 26 March 2003 - 03:13 AM

Metamucil helps me with the "bulk" most of the times unless its those certain times where I stress out and nothing will stop it. I was scared to take it at first because I thought it was a laxative but I've found it works for D too. I take one heaping tablespoon before bed but everyone is different. Start out slower though.

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2014 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here