26 replies to this topic

#1 Chic_Icelander

Chic_Icelander

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 04:18 PM

Advertisement
I've searched the forums and I haven't found anything on the topic I'm concerned about: Being extremely lightheaded while having a BM. It doesn't matter what kind of BM it is, I always get the same result. It's been happening for a few months now and I noticed that even if I'm not straining, I'll get extremely lightheaded and dizzy. It's usually right after the BM is released and a few times I thought I was going to just pass out on the toilet! Like I said, it doesn't matter if it's hard, soft, watery, a lot of poo, or just a little. It doesn't matter what time of day it is or where I am.. I always get very lightheaded during and after I use the bathroom. Does anyone else have this problem?

Advertisement

#2 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34,889 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 04:38 PM

Some people have a sensitive vagus nerve and when it goes off it makes people light headed. Some people will completely faint.It isn't dangerous (unless you hit something when you fall) but things like a bowel movement can be a trigger for it.http://www.mayoclini...syncope/DS00806
My story of beating IBS: My Story with IBS
Ph.D in Biology

#3 Diana63

Diana63

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 711 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 02:18 PM

I can be light headed and feel dizzy when using my bowel.I try to breathe through the dizziness and faint feeling and take my time when i stand up again.Then i sit down on the sofa until the feeling passes.Not pleasant but part of my severe ibs.If only there was something to help.

#4 Chic_Icelander

Chic_Icelander

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 10:45 PM

I wish there was something that could help. :/ I'm just glad that I'm not the only one.

#5 BQ

BQ

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14,269 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 12:34 AM

Well in the Mayo article Kathleen gave you the url for it says you can do the following to help:

If you feel like you might faint, lie down and lift up your legs. This allows gravity to keep blood flowing to your brain. If you can't lie down, sit down and put your head between your knees until you feel better.

Please remember this is a group of folks seeking support on how to live with and manage IBS. THESE ARE ONLY MY OWN THOUGHTS. IF YOU WANT AN EXPERT OPINION, ASK A MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL.

#6 jmc09

jmc09

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,312 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 04:00 AM

BQ those instructions sound a bit of a challenge while sat on a toilet!
Diagnosed originally with microscopic colitis in 1992 but no inflammation detected on subsequent colonoscopies,so IBS diagnosed. Hoping to share my personal opinions and experiences to help others and become more aware myself. No medical training at all.

#7 Diana63

Diana63

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 711 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 10:25 AM

You certainly are not the only one,so you are not alone in your suffering.Take care.

#8 Diana63

Diana63

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 711 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 10:29 AM

Putting my head between my knees can make me feel worse,but what i do, is my head is still bent down and arms resting on my legs and breathe in and out deeply,that sometimes helps me.I really do hate ibs symptoms!

#9 BQ

BQ

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14,269 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 11:44 AM

jmc09 Maybe.. but crashing onto the floor might be MORE than a challenge.. huh?Anyone can put their head between their knees while sitting down... unless you have some terribly severe back problems???
Please remember this is a group of folks seeking support on how to live with and manage IBS. THESE ARE ONLY MY OWN THOUGHTS. IF YOU WANT AN EXPERT OPINION, ASK A MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL.

#10 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34,889 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 12:01 PM

You can keep a stool or a small hamper in the bathroom to put your feet up on if you need to keep from fainting and lying down isn't an option at the time.A lot of people prone to constipation find a stool they can use so their knees are higher than their butt helps with going more easily, so something similar could be used to put your feet up on when you need to so you don't pass out.If you have to keep your feet on the floor compression socks that prevent blood from staying in the feet/lower legs might be an option.
Ph.D in Biology

#11 Chic_Icelander

Chic_Icelander

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 01:39 PM

BQ those instructions sound a bit of a challenge while sat on a toilet!

I can only imagine the smell my poor nose would endure if I put my head between my knees while on the toilet! Haha. For now, I just hold onto the towel rail next to the toilet. It kind of helps.

#12 Diana63

Diana63

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 711 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 01:42 PM

I have been using a stool for years when i am in the bathroom,it has not helped,but i carry on using it in the hope one day it might help.I think i need a miracle! :(

#13 BQ

BQ

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14,269 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 01:53 PM

Well Chic I must have misunderstood... I thought you said you were having extreme lightheadedness with BM's.. but if holding on to the towel bar helps.. great. If it becomes not enough then I would certainly discuss other options with your Dr.

#14 jmc09

jmc09

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,312 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 02:01 PM

This is starting to look like a script for an upcoming comedy show! :(But being serious for a moment could the light headedness be due to a poor diet because of IBS of course or even an iron deficiency?
Diagnosed originally with microscopic colitis in 1992 but no inflammation detected on subsequent colonoscopies,so IBS diagnosed. Hoping to share my personal opinions and experiences to help others and become more aware myself. No medical training at all.

#15 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34,889 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 02:11 PM

Vasovagal light headedness is usually for a short period of time when you see blood or have a strong emotion or have BM or abdominal pain. It is an inappropriate drop in blood pressure to stimuli that shouldn't normally do that.If you are lightheaded all the time there may be other causes for it, and if it doesn't pass quickly when you lay down it may not be vasovagal.Poor diet or low iron doesn't cause vasovagal syncope. I would think if you were anemic to the point of light headedness or had other nutritional problems to the point of feeling that bad it would be more of a constant thing (may come and go a bit in intensity) where Vasovagal issues you tend to be OK between episodes. When I'm anemic I feel like carp all the time, not just when I try to have a BM.
Ph.D in Biology

#16 Chic_Icelander

Chic_Icelander

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 12:39 PM

Well Chic I must have misunderstood... I thought you said you were having extreme lightheadedness with BM's.. but if holding on to the towel bar helps.. great. If it becomes not enough then I would certainly discuss other options with your Dr.

I do have extreme lightheadedness most of the time, actually. I'm just one of those people that takes a crappy situation, no pun intended, and laughs at it. Hence the joke I made about putting my head between my legs. My motto is that if you're not laughing, you're not living and I've found that laughing at my misfortune with IBS helps a lot rather than sulking in my pity and falling into another depression that kept me in the house for 6 months. But anyway, there are definitely a few times when I get so lightheaded I really think I'm just going to fall over. I usually just hold onto to the towel rack and sit very still until it passes. The point of this post was to see how many people had the same problem and if there was any cures or quick fixes. Thank you for replying!

#17 Chic_Icelander

Chic_Icelander

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 12:47 PM

Kathleen, I have a question. I'm not sure if this is due to IBS or not but I was wondering if you, along with anybody else, has had the symptoms I'm about to describe:A week ago I started feeling very, very sleepy and lightheaded. I've been sleeping a whole lot for this past week, which is not like me at all, and missed 3 days of work due to being very weak. I have what I call "episodes" that feel like someone stuck a vacuum to me and sucked out all of the energy. The other day I woke up feeling fine and got myself ready for work and sat down for a second and an episode hit. I lost all of my energy and thought I was going to fall asleep sitting up and I was also very dizzy so I called my doctor. I told her my symptoms and she told me to go straight to the ER. I could barely hold the phone to my ear because I was so weak! Anyway, when I got there they couldn't tell me anything. I explained that I had IBS and PCOS (Poly Cystic Ovary Syndrome) but it didn't seem to matter to them. Then again, they hardly did any tests on me. They just took urine and blood and told me I was okay. I'm not sure what's going on with me but I'm just so tired and weak. I haven't changed my eating habits and I'm not depressed. It just hit me over night! It's very irritating because I've lost so much work and I'm actually covered in bruises from running into things (my moms cedar chest in her room, a door frame, etc. It seems I've lost my coordination, too) Could this be IBS related? And if it's not, I apologize for posting it here. I just want some answers!

#18 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34,889 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 01:01 PM

That doesn't sound like IBS I would see someone that can check you out.Sounds like it isn't anemia or dehydration since your blood tests at the ER were OK. Neither IBS nor PCOS would really explain all your symptoms so they probably didn't need to do anything about those or retest you for those. This sounds like something different and I don't know what you wanted them to do with information about illnesses that do not seem to be what is causing this problem.I would get evaluated for Chronic Fatigue syndrome or Myalgic Encephalomyelitis or if you have a lot of muscle pain fibromyalgia.Also make sure your thyroid and blood sugar gets tested so you aren't hypoglycemic or diabetic or anything like that.I would not blow this all off as just IBS because that extreme fatigue and being light headed all the time are not IBS symptoms. A bit of lightheaded right with a BM is one thing, light headed all the time and nearly collapsing from getting dressed in the morning is not just your IBS. Please see if you can get this properly evaluated. The ER only cares if you are in a medical crisis, they do not test for chronic on-going problems. Just the do you need to be admitted to the hospital NOW! or do you need something before they can send you home problems. They are not for getting a proper diagnosis of an ongoing issue.You might want to try posting your symptoms over on the CFS/Fibromyalgia board http://www.ibsgroup....php?showforum=3 and see if they can give you any insight into what tests you need or what may be going on. Again, this does not sound like simply your IBS or PCOS acting up.
Ph.D in Biology

#19 mollser

mollser

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 03:45 PM

Hi , I have just found out i have IBS, after a lot of test and going back and for to the doctor for 2 year's now, one of my symptoms was fainting after BM, i don't know anyone else this has happened to apart from yourself, it is soo scary when it happen's, the doctor was soo unhelpfull he just said the same as everyone else, put your head between your knee, i find this a bit impossible, he did run test on a lot of other thing's to see why i was fainting but have all came back negitive, the pain is getting unbearable now, i have tryed all the antspasam tables but nothing seem's to work, anyone got any other ideas??

#20 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34,889 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 04:32 PM

If antispasmodics do not work usually the next thing to try is low dose antidepressants.
Ph.D in Biology

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2014 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here