Cannabis use in IBS

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_gidoc_*

Guest_gidoc_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2010 - 05:54 PM

Advertisement
Cannabis use in IBS To all patients with IBS that use cannabis/marijuana!Dear Patient,Reports from patients suggest that use of cannabis/marijuana reduces symptoms associated with Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS). In order to bring this to a scientific level more detailed information from patients is needed.We are conducting a study that is assessing the use, the benefits and the side effects of cannabis/marijuana for the self-treatment of IBS. This questionnaire is directed to all patients with IBS that use cannabis/marijuana for their IBS.We are asking you to complete the internet based questionnaire. Please make sure that you respond to all questions which may take you approximately 10 minutes.This research study has been approved by the University of Calgary, Canada, Conjoint Health Research Ethics Board. You are under no obligation to complete this questionnaire. Your responses to this questionnaire will be kept strictly anonymous. Thank you for taking the time to read this material and fully respond to the questionnaire.If you have any questions, please contact the administrator for this study: Cannabis_use_in_IBS@gmx.comPrincipal Investigator: Clinician Scientist at the University of CalgaryPlease, support this research initiative by following the link and answering a 10 min (3 pages of questions) questionnaire.To start the study:http://ibd-cannabis-...i...t=Y&lang=en

Advertisement

#2 Yukie

Yukie

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 02:20 PM

sorry, but people with chronic illness aren't guinea pigs. and I guess you can't guarantee that it won't aggravate the illness either.

#3 emepe22

emepe22

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 01:32 PM

Yukie: you should take more time when you read:This questionnaire is directed to all patients with IBS that use cannabis/marijuana for their IBS.This is a survey... how can a survey aggravate the illness :(NB: Sorry, but I don't use cannabis, but I'm really interested about this research :)

#4 Chronie13

Chronie13

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 05:26 PM

I have moderate to sever chrons disease and have a lot of perianal crohns. I use cannabis and i think it is extremely beneficial and i think more people should be open minded about it. Its is great for getting your appetite back and when experiencing bad cramping and diarrehea and is a lot more natural and safe then taking any other medicine i have been on. I truly it is a powerful medicine and can offer some excellent benefits to those with IBD/IBS. Also, it is not manufactured by the drug companies, whom i have been thinking a lot about recently. I am currently on Humira and wonder if these companies actually want us to get better. All i'm saying is please be open minded because one never knows what will help them feel better in this constant battle against pain.

#5 WonkyColon

WonkyColon

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 01:27 PM

I've found that cannabis tea (which doesn't get you high) helps me a lot with IBS. Makes me paranoid as Hell if I smoke the stuff, so I stick with the tea. :(

#6 BQ

BQ

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14,127 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 10:30 PM

Wonky I think I read on another of your posts that you are breastfeeding still. I would hope you are not drinking the tea now while still breastfeeding. I don't think that would be safe for your lil one. Just concerned... so please be careful, ok?
Please remember this is a group of folks seeking support on how to live with and manage IBS. THESE ARE ONLY MY OWN THOUGHTS. IF YOU WANT AN EXPERT OPINION, ASK A MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL.

#7 WonkyColon

WonkyColon

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 11:46 AM

Absolutely. I appreciate your concern.My daughter is almost 2 years old and only nurses once per 24 hours; I nurse her to sleep at night. I take all of my meds (with a few breastfeeding-safe exceptions) right after she goes to bed, so it's nearly a full 24 hours before she nurses again. So all the "unsafe" meds like Bentyl are well out of my system by that point, and the "possibly unsafe" meds like cannabis are, too. Some of the things I take, like fennel/ginger/peppermint, aren't believed to negatively affect breastmilk and her pediatrician knows I take them. Then there are things like simethicone that don't pass into milk at all; I'm not worried about taking those a few hours before nursing her.I understand your concern, but I am very careful about using medicinal herbs while nursing. Also, THC (the psychoactive component of cannabis) isn't in the tea. THC is fat-soluble.

#8 BQ

BQ

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14,127 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 05:08 PM

I understand your concern, but I am very careful about using medicinal herbs while nursing.

I figured you were but just had to make sure. :( Enjoy her.
Please remember this is a group of folks seeking support on how to live with and manage IBS. THESE ARE ONLY MY OWN THOUGHTS. IF YOU WANT AN EXPERT OPINION, ASK A MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL.

#9 anonymous313

anonymous313

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 03:36 AM

Absolutely. I appreciate your concern.My daughter is almost 2 years old and only nurses once per 24 hours; I nurse her to sleep at night. I take all of my meds (with a few breastfeeding-safe exceptions) right after she goes to bed, so it's nearly a full 24 hours before she nurses again. So all the "unsafe" meds like Bentyl are well out of my system by that point, and the "possibly unsafe" meds like cannabis are, too. Some of the things I take, like fennel/ginger/peppermint, aren't believed to negatively affect breastmilk and her pediatrician knows I take them. Then there are things like simethicone that don't pass into milk at all; I'm not worried about taking those a few hours before nursing her.I understand your concern, but I am very careful about using medicinal herbs while nursing. Also, THC (the psychoactive component of cannabis) isn't in the tea. THC is fat-soluble.

I have no interest at all in this post except that you say that you are using the tea without the THC (which I understand, without heating it and allowing it to attach to fat or oil it is not going to have any effect) but I'm wondering then if you are receiving cannaboids or something (supposedly there are a lot of other things present besides for THC) and that is what is helping you.I personally think people should be open-minded as well, and remember that it is state-legal in some areas (and some not so be careful) but I would love to see if there would be a way to ease the stomach pain without being psychedelic stoned....that would be extremely helpful...

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2014 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here