Advertisement

Photo

Ideas for helping reduce gas (flatulence)

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 nrep

nrep

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 01:23 AM

Advertisement
It seems my gas is getting worse and I can't figure out why. I've tried Gas X, Beano, Maalox, pepto, imodium (with simethicone), digestive enzymes etc and they all make the gas much, much, much worse. I certainly stay away from gas producing foods but to no avail.What has worked for you?Secondly (and forgive me if this is a dumb question), I was thinking the other day that I never burp, but always have gas (flatulence). Why does my body not just burp the gas?

Advertisement

#2 BQ

BQ

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14,127 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 01:39 AM

Have you tried taking the simethicone WITH your meals? I think it needs to be co-located with the food itself if it is to do us much good.Have you tried any probiotics??
Please remember this is a group of folks seeking support on how to live with and manage IBS. THESE ARE ONLY MY OWN THOUGHTS. IF YOU WANT AN EXPERT OPINION, ASK A MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL.

#3 nrep

nrep

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 09:09 AM

Actually, now I'm realizing that simethicone and I don't mix well. I was wondering why my new box of Imodium was messing with me, and then realized that it had the simethicone in it. Gas X and others with simethicone make me explode for days.

#4 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34,802 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 09:34 AM

Most of the gas in the colon is not from the air you swallow, most of it is from the bacteria in the colon working on foods you do not digest. Gas produced in the colon does not back track up the small intestine to the stomach and they get burped out. Everything pushes that gas to the anus for release.If you still fart excessively when you don't eat for a couple of days you may be swallowing air, but that is really pretty rare.Have you tried probiotics? They eat all the same foods as other bacteria, but do not release gas (they stop digesting the carbs before they get to the broken all the way down to gas stage)Also it isn't just legumes (beans and lentils) and cabbage family veggies that are gassyHave you gone on a strict no starch-low carb diet or were you still eating bread and pasta as those are not they typical gassy foods?Also how many farts a day do you have? Do you know the average number of farts a day is about 14? Now some people do react badly to normal amounts of gas so may need to reduce it below that.Here is a gas reducing diet.http://www.endowsec....ted/edtgs12.htmSome people have problems with fructose which is still in most gas reducing diets so here is the fructose restricted diet.http://john.toebes.com/diet.htmlSome people need to restrict fructose before they see much difference.
My story of beating IBS: My Story with IBS
Ph.D in Biology

#5 u25db2

u25db2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 06:27 PM

The best thing I have found for gas is fennel tea. If I drink a mug of fennel tea when I'm very bloated it seems to ease it somewhat. Also I stick to a lot of meals based around white rice with a little chicken/fish and a small amount of veg.

#6 normajeane

normajeane

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 04:12 PM

Giving up on sweeteners has made a huge difference to me! I can especially recommend avoiding gum, but you probably already know that. Sweeteners really seem to be bad for people suffering from IBS.

#7 humiliated

humiliated

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 06:58 PM

Actually, now I'm realizing that simethicone and I don't mix well. I was wondering why my new box of Imodium was messing with me, and then realized that it had the simethicone in it. Gas X and others with simethicone make me explode for days.

I noticed the same things for myself, everything that is supposed to help doesn't, but usually makes the gas worse. I also noticed that I never belch in spite of the fact that I had all this gas. I did find that ecentric coated peppermint caps made me balch and relieved some of the gas in my tummy.I finally found thru trial and error a combination of supplements that work for me, going on a month now and feeling good, eating what I want for the most part. cept no onionsThe message I want to share is not what works for me but rather you should all keep looking for what works for you. Everything you need to fix yourself is available you have to keep listening to your body and find what you need. I strongly believe those who want to heal themselves will and those who are waiting for someone else to tell them how will live this way forever.
No Longer Humiliated!
"Every day is a good day, it's just that some are better than others"

#8 weev

weev

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 10:17 PM

..... but usually makes the gas worse.

Simethicone does make you fart, as it were. Some of the manufacturers leave this information low down, or out. The stuff breaks down the wind bubbles and lets the gas move, and pass, more freely.It seemed odd to me first but the idea is to get the wind out that is already there. I guess makers don't want to spell this fact out cause it might make a customer think twice.

#9 Tiger337

Tiger337

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 05:16 PM

Simethicone does make you fart, as it were. Some of the manufacturers leave this information low down, or out. The stuff breaks down the wind bubbles and lets the gas move, and pass, more freely.It seemed odd to me first but the idea is to get the wind out that is already there. I guess makers don't want to spell this fact out cause it might make a customer think twice.

For myself, that stuff was a waste of money. Digestive enzymes, probiotics, and changing my diet stopped the farts.

#10 pretordan

pretordan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 07:23 AM

For myself, that stuff was a waste of money. Digestive enzymes, probiotics, and changing my diet stopped the farts.

Which probiotics and enzymes? And dosage?

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2014 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here