2 replies to this topic

#1 StayingHopeful75

StayingHopeful75

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 08:18 PM

Advertisement
Hello-I was wondering if drinking alcohol affects the intestinal flora (bacterial overgrowth etc.). I wasn't sure if it was absorbed early enough so that it wouldn't have any affects on bacteria in the colon. I'm currently taking Kefir as a probiotic supplement, and was just wondering if a drink here and there is going to negate the effects of the probiotic.Thanks! :(

Advertisement

#2 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34,889 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 08:26 PM

Alcohol is absorbed really early and I don't think it ever gets to the colon where it would effect things.Now if you drink enough to give yourself really bad diarrhea the really bad diarrhea could effect things.Most probiotic bacteria are not permanent residents of the colon to start with, so you generally need regular "reseeding" to keep the population up anyway. Even in people who are perfectly healthy.
My story of beating IBS: My Story with IBS
Ph.D in Biology

#3 StayingHopeful75

StayingHopeful75

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 02:37 PM

Thanks for your response Kathleen- It's rare that I'd ever have more than one or two drinks when I do drink, and I rarely ever have Diarrhea. I guess I just want to make sure that I'm not ruining the effects (if any) of the Kefir by having a drink here and there.

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2014 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here