Advertisement

Photo

Fructose Intolerance (List of "no no" foods)

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 searching4answers

searching4answers

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 05:50 PM

Advertisement
Lists of the fructose “no no” foods High Fructose foods:Apple, Mango, pear, peach (yellow), sugar snap peas, watermelon, honey, fructose/fructose syrup. High Fructose Loads:fruit juice, dried fruit, tinned fruit in natural juice, larges serves of tomato or concentrated sauces. Polyols (sorbitol & manitol): Apple, apricot, blackberry, cherry, lychee, nashi pears, nectarine, pears, plum/prune, watermelon, avocado, snow peas, cauliflower, mushroom, artificially sweetened gums/mints, some low sugar products. Fructans:asparagus, artichoke (globe 7 jerusalem), beetroot, broccoli, brussel sprouts, cabbage, fennel, garlic, leek, okra, onion (white, red, shallots, white section of spring onion, and powder), peas, peach(white), watermelon, wheat, rye, chickory root, dandelion tea, inulin/FOS.* Also NO honey dew melon, pawpaw/papaya, star fruit, quince, nashi fruit, guava, agave, sultana, currant, red ripe tomato, raisin, figs, chutnet, relish, plum, BBQ sauce, sweet & sour sauce, coconut* Note: watch out for tomato pastes* note: can cook with garlic clove to give flavor but take out and do not eat it.* note: Wheat too may be a problem as some studies show. But do not eliminate wheat from your diet unless you are diagnosed by a doctor and given those instructions.

Advertisement

#2 Lis

Lis

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 08:20 AM

Great list--thanks for sharing! I first heard about this in the UK, and my list is a bit different. It has fewer items on it, but that could explain why I'm still having trouble, so it provides me with a few items to watch for. Where'd you get this list? Can you tell me if you've heard anything about maple syrup? At first I was told it was a no-no, but later I was told it was ok.Thanks so much for this!!!

#3 Lis

Lis

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 08:23 AM

Sorry, I forgot to ask--do all coconut products contain high levels of fructose? For example: coconut water, coconut milk, shredded coconut, coconut oil, coconut yogurt? I can't have soy or dairy and have been using more coconut products lately. The yogurt I make at home seems to be ok, but coconut milk and shredded coconut have caused diarrhea, of all things. I'm curious if it's the high level of fat or the level of fructose or just me being weird.

#4 searching4answers

searching4answers

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 04:07 PM

different things work for different people. I've heard mixed things about coconut so i don't know, i havent tried it. I can imagine it might b a problem though because it's very sweet, people put shredded coconut on top of deserts.As far as milk to try if you can't tolerate normal stuff, I drink Lactaid, although alot of it bothers me because it has a sweet aftertaste. I've tried almond milk which by the way I think is disgusting! It literally tastes like your drinking watery almonds. Rice milk tastes okay but the brand I bought bothered me. Make sure even though it says rice milk, that in the ingredients it shouldn't have "brown rice".For me i've also noticed that blueberries and strawberries bother me. The strawberries r an iffy item for ppl with fructose intolerance as well as potatoes because they have equal numbers of glucose and fructose. U want foods that have lower fructose levels than glucose.BTW wheat is another thing that is bothersome. Switch to rice and once in a long while have wheat. Ask a doctor about switching first. I didn't ask but I'm fine, just a suggestion i heard. Just because something is wheat free doesn't mean it has to be gluten free. I've tried gluten free waffles and bread and they're gross! The texture falls apart. Although i must say gluten free crackers by GLUTINO are great. Still bothered by something in those crackers though, could b the tomato in one type of 'em. GOOD LUCK.

#5 overitnow

overitnow

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,019 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 01:46 PM

Do you have any info on how this works? Can intolerances, as opposed to allergies, simply be inflammatory responses? If so, that might be a more fruitful avenue to explore for treatment, rather than just elimination of all triggers. (I wasted about 5 years chasing those once it became apparent that simply quitting smoking wasn't going to solve this.) Certainly, when my IBS was raging, your list, along with my dairy intolerance, would explain a lot about what was exacerbating my problems. Once I found a treatment for the (presumed) inflammation that was causing the D, these reactions slowly disappeared. It was about a year before I declared myself fully functioning, again, although I still had lesser reactions to some foods, especially in larger quantities, for the next couple of years. Mark
My story of beating IBS and my other chronic conditions: http://www.ibsgroup....total-wellness/

#6 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34,853 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 01:52 PM

Fructose intolerance does NOT appear to be from inflammation.Just like lactose intolerance people do not make the enzyme to break lactose apart, people with fructose intolerance do not make enough of the receptors to pull fructose out of the gut and into the blood.That receptor works best (in all humans) when you have as many glucose molecules as fructose, so high fructose foods aren't all that easy for anyone, and that is why fructose gets into the blood slower than sucrose (1 glucose per fructose by definition) or pure glucose. Because it is absorbed slower than glucose or sucrose in all people some times that can be used to help stabilize blood sugar levels in diabetics.Now the problem with the lactose and fructose has to do with how much the osmotic issues and increases in gas volume effect the IBS.Often you find people who have the intolerance, but their gut handles the gas just fine so you see no symptoms even though "by the numbers" they are intolerant of a particular carbohydrate. If you can't digest or absorb it, yet you are symptom free with normal dietary levels you don't have to avoid the foods.
My story of beating IBS: My Story with IBS
Ph.D in Biology

#7 cherrypie09

cherrypie09

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 975 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 09:04 AM

thats an awful long list of ructose foods you cant eat,. what actually is left that is safe in the fruit and veg side of things. As its not healthy not to eat fruit and veg, so what can I eat.

#8 searching4answers

searching4answers

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 03:03 PM

hah this list is SHORT! compared to some of things i found online. I just took all the things all the lists had in common, plus experience and organized them into this list. I would just stay away from all fruits. Get your nutrition that you'd normally get from fruit from juices instead that do NOT have high fructose corn syrup. Eat or drink something that has high fructose in it and you mine as well be stabbing yourself in the gut. In small amounts I can tolerate orange juice with calcium or Welch's White Grape Juice because they don't have high fructose in them. Stay away from pops and fast foods. As far as fast foods go, everything I've tried has bothered me except.....surprisingly SONIC! I had their chicken poppers and half a cranberry slush and felt fine. I found even salad bothered me. Though i've heard that red leaf lettuce is easier for us and tried it. I'm not sure yet. I'll have to try it again. As far as vegetables go I can tolerate greenbeans "steamed" and celery. Pretty much you should steam all your vegetables. I haven't yet found a breakfast bar I can eat or a healthy cereal. So if any of YOU have a suggestion for that let me know. Cause like 99% of all the cereal boxes in my local grocery stores contain HFC.

#9 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34,853 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 05:10 PM

http://john.toebes.com/diet.html lists a couple of cereals you might take a look at.
My story of beating IBS: My Story with IBS
Ph.D in Biology

#10 haidi123

haidi123

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 04:09 AM

I love coconut products too. It is hard to control myself when i see them.

#11 Zilpah 5

Zilpah 5

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 09:16 AM

Hi you may wish to have a look at this website re low fructose fodmap diethttp://shepherdworks...low-fodmap-diet

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2014 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here