Advertisement

Photo

IBS, CELIAC AND INTOLERANCE'S...WHAT TO DO?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 e39mofo

e39mofo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 03:01 PM

Advertisement
Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum, and it has helped me in so many different ways. I'm 26 years old weighing in at about 142lbs. I was diagnosed with Celiac desease in June of 2009 and in december IBS. I must admit that my IBS isn't one of the worst cases. I don't feel much constipation and not much diarhea, it's a mixture, sometimes, it's simply loose. I'm also lactose intolerant and Fructose intolerant. I'm finding it hard to really pin point certain foods and I rarely eat out because I can't eat much. I've been reduced to GF Flack Seed bread for breakfast, Rice for Lunch and some Chicken and potatoes for supper. Anyone else have all of the above (Celiac IBS and both intolerances)? I'm trying to find ways to gain some weight. Any hints?Thanks everyoneCheers

Advertisement

#2 SunNsnow

SunNsnow

Prolific Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 03:16 PM

Advertisement
What's your height?Have you calculated your BMI?In general, your diet seems unhealthy as it does not containsufficient vegetables. Also, just rice for dinner is not goodas rice does not contain iron or a lot of other nutrients. Can you eat beans? Nuts?

#3 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34,954 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 03:18 PM

Advertisement
Up the portions of everything you do eat (so a cup of rice rather than 1/2 a cup).Can you add olive oil to foods? Even a little bit a few times a day can add a bunch of calories. You may not tolerate a whole bunch all at once.Also check out this site as a lot of the fructose free fruits and veggies will add some more variety and you could see if you tolerate some fish as a bit more variety can help people eat more than the exact same foods every day.http://john.toebes.com/diet.html a lot of the food on this list is also gluten free, just avoid the grains (barley, rye wheat) products.
My story of beating IBS: My Story with IBS
Ph.D in Biology

#4 Jackmat

Jackmat

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 06:33 PM

Advertisement
Mofo,I'm similar to you.I have lactose and fructose intolerance and non coeliac wheat sensitivity. Intolerances vary considerably in DEGREE. I believe yours will improve the longer you stay off wheat. This is what happened to me.Try eating COLBY or CHEDDAR cheese. These have minimal lactose. Aged cheeses contain nil lactose. Try eating green vegetables (broccoli, cabbage etc) as these have minimal fructose. Don't eat anything with sorbitol (plums, pears, apples, cherries etc).Your "IBS" will improve when you finally work out your tolerance levels and introduce more variety. And its very important to diarise what you eat and how and when you react.These days I eat quite a variety of fruit and vegetables, including fructose loaded items like brown rice, tomatoes, honey etc, with no difficulty. Staying off wheat and addressing the impact of stress on my stomach were the key factors.I lost 33 punds during my "illness" but unlike you, I was ignorant of what was happening in my gut.Your tolerances WILL improve, and you'll soon be able to re-introduce foods and put on weight. Jackmat
J A C K M A T

MY RECOVERY STORY ...... http://www.ibsgroup....535#entry810535

#5 beanette

beanette

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 02:02 AM

Advertisement
Hi there e39mofo and others! I have been gluten-free, casein-free for over 3 and a half years now. I also found out too that I was sensitive to many other foods as well like corn, soy, peanuts, etc that I stay away from and have learned a lot by reading about foods. A lot of it is a process of elimination! What helped me so much during the hardest time with this illness was to eat plenty of brown rice and chicken, just like you are doing. I suggest you read up on making your own completely homemade chicken soups and nothing from a box. The Weston A. Price foundation has wonderful information about soups and other foods that can help you build your immune system back up to being able to eat more foods again. What I did was put a whole free-range or organic chicken in a large stock pot and boil it in water for a couple of hours until it seemed done. I then would take the chicken apart and put the pieces back in the soup, along with broccoli, spinach, a couple of other veggies, onions, and would boil those until they were done as well. For a long time this was the only way I could handle eating veggies because eating them raw made me sick. If this is the case with you, I highly suggest at the very least steaming the veggies and see if you can tolerate them better. I used different natural spices and sea salt to make the soups tastier. Some days soup was all I could eat too, along with brown rice. They stay good for several days in the fridge, which is great. Also, gelatin-filled soups are supposed to be extremely beneficial and I don't know where I'd be now without it. I lost 20 pounds and things got to be very scary quickly for me because I am already a thin person. Anyways, I hope you find this helpful!!

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here