2 replies to this topic

#1 Shufflemoomin

Shufflemoomin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 02:47 AM

Advertisement
Hey everyone,I've been dealing with IBS for years now. I've read on many places that "flat, ribbon-like stools" are a common symptom of IBS. Sometimes my bowel movements are cylindrical as you might expect, but sometimes mine are almost perfectly rectangular. I find it fascinating to be truthful. I mean, they almost have square edges. They're about 1 inch wide, a quarter of an inch thick and usually 2 to 3 inches long. Does anyone else experience this? Is this what is meant by "flat" and "ribbon-like"?I'm bewildered at how my body is able to produce this. Unless my anus doubles up as a play-dough factory, I'm not sure how it's possible. I mean, the anus opening is round and the intestine are round and stools are generally meant to be cylindrical. Does anyone have information or sources for what is malfunctioning to cause this and how it's physically produced by the body?I hope to god someone else has this. I've never asked a doctor about it because part of me thought they wouldn't believe me and I'd have to #### in front of them to prove I wasn't faking this.Am I a medical phenomenon in the IBS community or is this par for the course?

Advertisement

#2 TanaG

TanaG

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 04:24 AM

To be honest, I have no idea. I never saw a square stool LOL ...but I think you can have all kind of stools with IBS, probably the weirdest stools should be normal for us.

#3 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34,904 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 06:35 AM

Weird shapes is par for the course with IBS. The odd stool consistency (or mix of consistencies) seems to be at fault. Just how much it is like soft playdough and which way your colon/rectum squishes it.
My story of beating IBS: My Story with IBS
Ph.D in Biology

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2014 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here