#1 WonkyColon

WonkyColon

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 07:29 PM

Advertisement
I have IBS-A.For the last week, I've been pooping like 8 times a day but my poop is hard and pellet-like, as if I'm constipated. There's only a relatively small amount each time, like 6 little marble-sized pellets.I'm having the usual cramping, but that never goes away for me.Has this happened to anyone else? Everything I read says that pellet-poop is a sign of constipation, but I wouldn't be going frequently if that's the issue, right?Thanks...

Advertisement

#2 iknowtheproblem

iknowtheproblem

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 03:59 PM

I know all about this. I go around 4-5 times a day and yet when we did an x-ray it showed there was still a lot of stool left in me. I still don't understand how I can go so many times and still be backed up. My stools are very small but bigger than a marble even though I go in large quantities every time I have a bowel movement. The doctors don't know what is going on and neither do I. If you find something that works for you please let me know. The only thing I might have missed is possible thyroid problems but I'm going to get that checked out next.

#3 mrman

mrman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 09:15 PM

Yep, I get that one too.Exactly the same symptons, which are then often followed by diarrhea or just days of excess bowel habbits.If you must know, for the past few days I've been going at least 5 times a day with all different kinds of looking stool. Madness.

#4 WonkyColon

WonkyColon

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 11:00 PM

Thanks so much guys. Good to know that I'm not the only one. @iknowtheproblem: my thyroid's normal, if that tells you anything. Do you have other symptoms of thyroid disease?mrman: Do you have worse cramping during those episodes? Changes in color? I sometimes wonder if it would be a good idea to use a laxative during those episodes, but if I'm already going frequently, maybe that's not a good idea?

#5 skoshland

skoshland

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 11:56 PM

Hi Wonkycolon, Just to be sure have you had a diagnosis of Ibs-a and eliminated other possible illnesses such as lactose intolerance and celiac disease? You might want to try some stool softeners or maybe some type of fiber like some leafy vegatable or soluble fiber in fruit like apple. That said IBS is a mind body illness and you need to treat both the mind and the body. There are many ways to treat the mind with excercise, yoga, relaxation techniques you might also consider Hypnosis (by a trained hypnotherapist for IBS) or even Cognitive Behavior therapy. IBS is a learned illness. Our mind and body have learned to create this situation. It is like a cycle where we sense something in our bowel and our mind subconsciously responds to this to make the bowel worse and so on.

#6 iknowtheproblem

iknowtheproblem

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 05:42 AM

Thanks so much guys. Good to know that I'm not the only one. @iknowtheproblem: my thyroid's normal, if that tells you anything. Do you have other symptoms of thyroid disease?mrman: Do you have worse cramping during those episodes? Changes in color? I sometimes wonder if it would be a good idea to use a laxative during those episodes, but if I'm already going frequently, maybe that's not a good idea?

I do actually. I have been having tight chest pain and problems getting a deep breathe recently. I'm going to get it checked out just to make sure, but as always I'm kind of hoping it is the problem because at least that would explain some of the problems I am having and it is easily treatable. If it comes back normal, I'm still going to have the same problems and I'm still going to be in the dark to what is going on with my insides.

#7 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34,904 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 05:43 AM

One thing that can happen a lot in IBS (something like 70% of IBSers when they test) is the rectum's nerves are hypersensitive.So instead of waiting until it really is full it will send "gotta go" signals when there is just a little bit in there, rather than a "full load". This reactivity can also be a source of pain and urgency, and why a common symptom of IBS is the pain/urgency/discomfort eases after a BM. Once the rectum is empty again it calms back down.
My story of beating IBS: My Story with IBS
Ph.D in Biology

#8 Prudy

Prudy

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 08:49 AM

I can attest to what Kathleen says.. my IBS is like that.. any stool in my rectum... and I fell like I have to go now.... sometimes I can fight off the urge when I have already went several times.. sometime I can't.. Right now I am going through constipation which is a whole new game for me... Let me tell you.. I will take D any time.. well I would rather not take either.. just be normal.. that is..
Prudy..
A journey of a 1000 miles begins with the first step.
I follow a trigger free diet, take calcium, a good organic cereal, and eat yogurt everyday day to control my symptoms. And a good dose of daily Prayer along with it...HOPE- Sees the invisible, Feels the intangible, Achieves the impossible.

#9 iknowtheproblem

iknowtheproblem

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 02:40 PM

One thing that can happen a lot in IBS (something like 70% of IBSers when they test) is the rectum's nerves are hypersensitive.So instead of waiting until it really is full it will send "gotta go" signals when there is just a little bit in there, rather than a "full load". This reactivity can also be a source of pain and urgency, and why a common symptom of IBS is the pain/urgency/discomfort eases after a BM. Once the rectum is empty again it calms back down.

Have you heard of anything that would treat this so that the rectum could hold a normal amount of stool again without sending those signals? If I could get this fixed, my problems would be solved.

#10 iknowtheproblem

iknowtheproblem

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 08:47 PM

Thyroid test came back normal. Wondering what else I can do at this point. I feel like I'm running out of options.

#11 aloemandy

aloemandy

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 08:28 AM

Aloe Vera Gel can help ease the symptoms of all forms of IBS, but you must get the correct dosage and be told how to increase it and what to expect from it.It is not a miracle cure, but a lot of people get relief from using it and some even become symptom free for a lot of the time. It must be a GEL drink and not a juice which is far too low in pure aloe with too much "other stuff".I can give you further advice on this if you visit my site at [URL deleted, posting your sales site violates the terms of service]Thanks for listening - and hope this helps

#12 iknowtheproblem

iknowtheproblem

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 09:07 PM

So was that post legit or was it just somebody trying to sell their product?

#13 TummyDepressed

TummyDepressed

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 08:26 AM

Hi Kathleen - I too would be interested if there is anything that can help reduce this 'hypersensitivity'.Would anti spasmodics help?

#14 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34,904 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 08:32 AM

Antispasmodics may relax the muscles for a bit and can sometimes be used.Sometimes the sensitivity is more in the nerves so low dose antidepressants tends to "turn the volume down" a bit. Kinda like when you play with electronics to increase the signal to noise ratio by reducing the noise.They don't prevent you from feeling the pain signals you want to feel (so they don't knock all pain down like a narcotic would) but they tend to "filter out" the inappropriate pain signals.
My story of beating IBS: My Story with IBS
Ph.D in Biology

#15 JackReynolds

JackReynolds

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 02:26 AM

Aloe Vera Gel can help ease the symptoms of all forms of IBS, but you must get the correct dosage and be told how to increase it and what to expect from it.It is not a miracle cure, but a lot of people get relief from using it and some even become symptom free for a lot of the time. It must be a GEL drink and not a juice which is far too low in pure aloe with too much "other stuff".I can give you further advice on this if you visit my site at [URL deleted, posting your sales site violates the terms of service]Thanks for listening - and hope this helps

So was that post legit or was it just somebody trying to sell their product?

It was both, I think. I'll vouch for aloe vera gels having a noticeable laxative effect. A couple months ago, I was on a proton pump inhibitor that turned my soft stool into hard constipation. I started taking the aloe vera gels before breakfast and dinner to soothe some duodenitis and was pleasantly surprised to see my bowel movements turn into the things dreams are made of (well-formed and requiring practically no effort). I took NOW brand gel capsules, so I can't speak to the efficacy of a gel drink, though.

#16 Pinkfrog26

Pinkfrog26

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 08:56 PM

I get exactly the same and they are sometimes hard to get out and only a few little marbles at a time. Recently though i have had really good big ones (sorry to be crude) but still get cramping more than if i had the little ones, weird but hey xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

#17 iknowtheproblem

iknowtheproblem

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 03:03 PM

It was both, I think. I'll vouch for aloe vera gels having a noticeable laxative effect. A couple months ago, I was on a proton pump inhibitor that turned my soft stool into hard constipation. I started taking the aloe vera gels before breakfast and dinner to soothe some duodenitis and was pleasantly surprised to see my bowel movements turn into the things dreams are made of (well-formed and requiring practically no effort). I took NOW brand gel capsules, so I can't speak to the efficacy of a gel drink, though.

Do you have a link to the product you speak of? This sounds very promising and I would love to get some more info on it.

#18 iknowtheproblem

iknowtheproblem

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 11:10 AM

I'm going to go pick up some aloe vera today from local whole foods. I also contacted my doctor asking for any other antidepressants that she recommends that would help with this problem. Hoping I can find the right combination of things in order to get back to normal.

#19 iknowtheproblem

iknowtheproblem

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 04:49 PM

Picked up 32 oz of George's aloe vera juice. Going to try it for a month and see what happens can't hurt.

#20 anth

anth

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 04:48 AM

i have the same symptoms as posted. i try magnesium (because i was under the impression i was constipated) which either does nothing or i get d. if i get d, i then balance it out with a tramadol and feel good for the day and the following day. ridiculous haha. let us know how you go with the aloe veira.

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2014 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here