20 replies to this topic

#1 flick87

flick87

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 10:14 AM

Advertisement
Hi There,Hopefully someone can help me or even relate to my conditions...I feel so alone and helpless on this one! Unfortunatley, the last time i posted a "call for help" on here, my reply was not exactly helpful and I was feeling extremely delicate - so I havent been able to face talking about my IBS to other since then!!Here it goes....I have an anxiety disorder anyway but Ive had bad IBS for the last couple of years - but with minor symptoms for the last 5 or so years! Most days, I have severe bloating and abdominal cramps - sometimes it can be that bad I cant stand up. I also feel really quite naseous everyday, but this usually gets better once ive managed to face eating something. ANyway, this bloating....I get there horrible loud, gurgly bubbling noises from my bowel! Its like it comes from nowhere and I can feel the gas girggling and moving - the only way to temporarily releive it is to pass wind. However, the always ALWAYS happens when im in quiet situations for example - work meetings, in quiet rooms where other people are, uni classes etc. Its so embarrasing and it gets worse the more I think and worry about it!!!!! Ive got that scared that I will call in sick to work if I know there is a planned work meeting, or make up any lie or excuse just to get out of those dreaded situations!!It's ruining my life....there is soooo much i want to do with my career but this tummy noises, gas, bloating, IBS, everything is holding me back and setting limitations!! Any advice???? I take daily pre/probiotics and eat natural live yoghurts and avoid my trigger foods. Could it simply be the brain-gut neuro link when I get so panicky and worried?? Im also on antidepressants and taking anti-spazmodics.HELP, HELP, HELP!!!Flick

Advertisement

#2 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34,815 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 10:20 AM

Everyone's gut makes noises. The more you freak out about it, the more aware you will be of the noises so the more you will up your anxiety.You definitely want to discuss the anxiety issues with your doctor as you may need to add some therapy or change your medications to control it better.Have you tried a digestive enzyme supplement with pancreatin in it at the start of your meals. That can sometimes help with bloating.You might try probiotics without the prebiotics as sometimes prebiotics create more gas from the other bacteria than they support the probiotic bacteria surviving.
My story of beating IBS: My Story with IBS
Ph.D in Biology

#3 flick87

flick87

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 10:37 AM

That is exactly what one doctor I seen said "Everyones gut makes noises" - and it felt awful because it was like he didnt understand how debilitating it was to me! I know everyones tummys/stomachs make noises but they don't make the same loud retched noises that mine do!!! Everyone looks at me as if i'm alien! Im sorry I dont mean to rant or get angry...but i need some help and support from fellow IBS sufferers!Im already seeing my doctor for my anxiety (since he diagnosed it) and we are working on arranging therapy and help from a mental health board. Ive already seen a psychiatrist too.Most probiotic drinks i have tried did not agree with me - the pre/probitic drink has been ok (it just has not bettered my symptoms). Perhaps I should look into tablet form.Thanks for suggestion

#4 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34,815 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 10:49 AM

A lot of people get high anxiety about noises no one else can hear. Sometimes they can be loud enough for others to hear, but a lot of the debilitating anxiety ends up being over any noise at all and you hear a lot more of the noises than anyone else can.Unfortunately the anxiety ramps every symptom of IBS up and often you can't get them under control while the anxiety is cranked all the way up. Sometimes you have to get the anxiety under control before you can really get the IBS symptoms (any of them) under control. So definitely keep working on the anxiety treatment that is a good step.Some of the tablets work well as most of the drinks have some lactose or soy in them, both of which can increase gas more than the probiotics can reduce it.
Ph.D in Biology

#5 MickeyT13

MickeyT13

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 12:53 PM

I also have suffered tremendously with extremely LOUD and embarrasing bodily noises. I say "bodily" noises because they come from all over. They seem to originate on the lower left side and then move all around my body. I can hear noises coming from my sides, back and rear-end area. I know I'm not nuts because I can also physically feel the grumblings. This also started about 6 years ago and I haven't been able to shake it since. I can't even begin to tell you how many things I've tried to make the noises stop as they have ruined my life. I work in a quiet office and am often involved with meetings and training sessions. I've resorted to coughing and rustling papers around in order to mask the noises so my coworkers and customers can't hear. I'm only 40 years old but I've gotten to the point where I'm considering going out on some type of medical disability because I can't deal with the embarrassment that I'm forced to live through on a daily basis. The doctors have scoped me up and down and tested me in other ways. They tell me it's IBS which is their fall-back when they can't come up with anything else. I'm not even sure any of the noise is tied to food as the noises can start first thing in the morning before I've even had anything to eat or drink. In fact, my noises started at 7am today....13 hours after I ate anything. If this was food or digestion related....how can I still be digesting food 13 hours later? I'm so disgusted with IBS and what it's done to my life.....I am truly miserable.

#6 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34,815 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 02:04 PM

1. Your GI tract moves food/stool/chyme around the entire time it is in there. Not just the few hours of actual digestion. Moving stool through the colon makes noise. Not just the stomach or small intestine when you are actually breaking stuff down or absorbing it.2. Transit time from mouth to anus is 16-72 hours so your colon was not likely to be 100% totally and completely empty of all solids and gases at 7 am.3. EVERY human has a spike of colon activity in the morning. There will be more noise when the colon is more active and colon activity has not a single thing at all to do with digesting the food. It is moving the waste around until you can get enough water out of it you can pass stool without risking dehydration every time you have a BM.
Ph.D in Biology

#7 MickeyT13

MickeyT13

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 05:41 AM

Thanks for the info Kathleen....it is helpful. But I just don't understand why I have these noises ALL day almost EVERY day for 6 years. I'm not exaggerating when I say that I may only have ONE (maybe two) days a week when the noises are almost non-existent. I also haven't been able to tie the noises to specific food types either. As for digestion after eating, back when my IBS was D, I'd be lucky to get out of a restaurant without using their bathroom 3 times before leaving. And now that my IBS has transitioned to C, it's gone the other way. I had the gastric emptying study about 2 years ago and everything came back normal. And each of the anti-spasmatic type meds that have been prescribed have done absolutely nothing to help me. Do you think any of the probiotics will help with this noise? I have tried Digestive Advantage but that didn't do anything either.

#8 Joseph81

Joseph81

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 06:11 PM

flick87 and MickeyT13,It might be Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth (SIBO). You can read more hereI didn't have any pains or cramps, but I've had the really LOUD gut noises, extremely large amounts of gas, poor stool formation, and bowel movement urgency. You can take a Lactulose Hydrogen breath test to be sure, like I did, or just try the Huang Lian Su tablets. You can find them on Amazon.com.I took 1 tablet 3 times a day on an empty stomach (~30 minutes before eating) and saw results in about 2 or 3 days. If you have had positive results, yet temporary, from antibiotics like Cipro, then there is a good chance these will work for you.

#9 suzie_b

suzie_b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 11:31 PM

If it's your stomach making noises, try sitting and clenching your ab muscles tightly. I heard about this technique for stopping stomach growls caused by hunger. If you get the technique right it does work, and after a while your stomach seems to settle down and stop making noises, at least for a while.

#10 flick87

flick87

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 08:54 AM

Thank you everyone for your replies and advice!MickeyT13 - I can totally sympathsize with you. This stupid noise problem has made my life a misery and I would do anything to get rid of it! Im trying to sort my anxiety issues and get help with our local mental health dept. The noises I have noticed will not happen if I do not think about them...but the second I think about it (even if I think "oh...my tummy hasn't made any noise yet today") it will start right up! Not sure if this is the same for you. It has come in between me and my professional life and I am trying everything I possibly can to overcome it and sort it out!The noises will come from my stomach if I think "im really hungry" - but the stomach sounds are not the problem. It's like there is a horrible big gas pocket in the bowel - sometimes it can feel like its circulating around my bowel and sometimes it is like right at my back passage! It will be semi-relieved if I can pass wind - however try doing that when you are in a meeting or in a quite room surrounded by your work colleagues etc.Thanks anyway for trying with advice - hopefully something soon will help!

#11 proudLgaser

proudLgaser

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 11:26 AM

eliminate triggering foodstry amitriptyline

#12 BRK8200

BRK8200

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 03:35 PM

My stomach growls all the time and I feel bloated also. Ive been like this for awhile. Few months ago they diagnosed me w/ibs just b/c they couldnt figure out what else it could be. They said there was lil blood in my bm or stool and my pain was mainly on left side and back so they said it couldnt be appendix or gall bladder. Few days ago I went to the doctor again b/c I have been having rotating back pains and abdominal pain. They took my urine, blood and said those were both fine. My iron is still low though so Im still on my iron pills. They sent me over to get a ct done on my abdomen and my pelvic area. They saw that I had a lot of gas built up but they said thateverything else was normal. Hmmmm..... They put me on zantac. Im wondering if its my iron pills or bc pills that are affecting me this way. Seems like everytime I start up a new pack, it affects me some way.

#13 Lookin'foraLife

Lookin'foraLife

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 05:45 PM

Just want to say THE NOISES ARE REAL! THIS IS NOT OUR IMAGINATION OR ANXIETIES!Proof: my boyfriend told me he couldn't sleep all night from my abdominal noises.How embarrassing!

#14 AliceA

AliceA

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 08:54 PM

I have the same pipes rattling thing. Often I feel like I need to go tot he bathroom right after but I can actually feel them if I touch my tummy. I am not working which takes some of the pressure off but I always felt like people were talking about my stinkies.

#15 Mandy887

Mandy887

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 06:17 AM

Hi,I have the same problem! I have been suffering with this for the past 10 years, it all started when I was stressed out doing school exams. My stomach and bowels make the loudest, freakiest noises. It is so embarrassing. I am now studying at uni and am constantly terrified of it happening in lectures - to the point where I will miss lectures. It really has taken over my life. I have an exam coming up in a couple of weeks and all I can think about is worrying about if my stomach will make noises. It has made me miserable. I went to the doctors about it a couple of months ago, ended up going in there and crying my eyes out saying how much it was ruining my life! I am now on anti-depressants. She did give me some medication for the ibs though, called fybogel meveberine. It does seem to be working so far. But it still hasnt completely gone away, if I eat the wrong food or am stressed. It's nice to hear that there are others out there with the same problem, maybe we can support each other x

#16 theshape

theshape

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 10:15 PM

I had similar problems with stomach noises and took care of it by doing exercises such as crunches and core exercises. Try it.

#17 cherrypie09

cherrypie09

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 975 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 08:43 AM

I get terrible stomach and bowel noises, mostly down the left side, its like pockets of wind and central heating pipes gurgling and popping and banging, it doesnt seem to move, its always in the same place, and even if I can fart , it doesnt help, its still there.. And pain down the left side also, so bad. I have found nothing to help it

#18 lia_83

lia_83

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 03:22 PM

I am really glad I've found this post (if a little late) but you guys have pretty much described the same problem I have. I can particularly relate to this quote from Mandy

it all started when I was stressed out doing school exams. My stomach and bowels make the loudest, freakiest noises.

This is when mine seemed to start, I can't describe the fear of going into the exams knowing how quite it would be. The worst was my Maths exam and I literally couldn't concentrate i was so worried about the "gurgling" noises.I work in an office now which is, thankfully, quite noisy (but can be quiet at times) and I've had to get up and pretend I need paper from the printer etc when I feel the cramps coming. Ive had the embarrassment of telling my boss that I have 'tummy issues' to avoid any meetings. I had to pretend I was feeling sick at one particular meeting so I could escape the embarrassment that I knew I would be faced with if I stayed in there. My manager has been wonderful though and doesn't make me go to any meetings. I have started cutting out foods for the first time in 12 years... yes I know... about time!! And found the following are usually what cause gas problems for me:dairycaffeinetoo much sugarred meatsome veg and some fruitsI'm still trying to figure out all the foods but cutting out the above has at least had some impact.

#19 jennyk22

jennyk22

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 04:41 PM

I've definitely noticed very loud noises lately, as well. Don't know if it's related to anxiety or not. My gas has been awful lately (very stinky!), but it seems to have come with a decrease in my abdominal pain. Does this ever happen to anyone else?

#20 jennyk22

jennyk22

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 04:42 PM

I had similar problems with stomach noises and took care of it by doing exercises such as crunches and core exercises. Try it.

Wow! That really helped?

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2014 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here