Advertisement

Photo

Terrible stinky smelly gas (uncontrollable)

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 stinkibutt

stinkibutt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 01:22 PM

Advertisement
Hello,I'm new here and have had a terrible problem for many years (I'm afraid) and I didn't know it. As bad as it sounds, now that I look back on my life, people thought that I was extremely rude and insensitive. How embarassing. About five years ago I realized that I was passing very bad smelling gas, not a poot, but some really nasty stuff that could clear a room out. After that I have spent the last five years going from doctor to doctor. I've had ultrasounds, CT scans and MRI's. Still no answer. I've gone through three gastro docs and now I'm being seen at the UNC Hospital in Chapel Hill. I'm from Chicago and I never realized I had this problem there, my job was an outdoor job and it wasn't an issue, I guess. Now, I'm in sales and part of a very close team and it is horrible. This is my third job since coming here and I'm sure that my "problem" has a lot to do with that.I know that I am lactose intollerant and that I have had a bacteria overgrowth. I took antibiotics a couple of times to stop the bacteria. I've had several colonoscopies and endoscopies, all finding nothing unusual but a small tear near my rectum that comes and goes. I had a fissuer when I was about twenty and I am forty-two now. The doctor actually cut it open and it healed back up. I remember when I had it that it would leak before the surgery and I could feel gas bubbles going through it. I have spent thousands and thousands of dollars that I didn't have and have just now paid off all of my doctor's bills and still have no answer. I didn't eat for days and still had constant gas, almost like fermenting (sounds crazy). When I did the colonoscopy, I had all kinds of gas when my girlfriend was driving me to the doctor's office that morning. I hadn't eaten or drank or consumed anything for a day or two and I was cleaned out.???? I go days now without eating or eating only rice and only drinking water and I still have this stench.I'm going back to UNC in a couple of months for an appointment. These people are the very best. My son had some stomach problems about eight years ago and we ended up there with him. They immediately diagnosed his problem and he is doing great now. They gave me Align and an anxiety medication. I'm now having some reflux and indigestion, so I'm taking some over the counter stuff for that.I need some help. I'm going to ask them to really take a look at me again. If it is surgery, gall bladder removal... Some people say that the liver or gall bladder could be cause the foul gas that I have. My co-workers hate me, it is the most helpless feeling in the world. It is hard to explain this to people because they assume that I am acting like a child and farting on people. I can't smell it everytime, as a matter of a fact I hardly ever smell it, but everyone else does. I never feel it leave me, I never know when it happens other than if I happen to smell it.I don't go to church anymore (how rude to fart in church), I don't go to parties, overnight conventions, fishing trips, golfing trips, my life is over other than at home where I have a wonderful family. But, they don't understand it either. To say that I'm at the end of my rope is not an accurate characterization of my situation. I would do anything for help. I've wondered about those bags, but the origin of the gas must be addressed, I would think. I've had this problem for a long time, I guess the people that have been around me all these years really didn't want to hurt my feelings or just thought that I was an ###### and was doing it intentionally.

Advertisement

#2 jennyk22

jennyk22

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 01:34 PM

I can't imagine that anyone really "hates" you at work for having stinky farts. I know how you feel, though. Recently, mine are just horrendous, so I understand your embarrassment. It would take a lot more for me to actually dislike someone than something that is completely out of their control like that.My stinky gas is worse in the evening, so luckily it usually happens at home, where my mother with IBS can relate. My BMs have become increasing stinky as well. Sometimes they remind me of manure odor or like a sulfur smell. It's just awful.It's helpful to read some of the possible causes you suggested, but I'm sad to hear nothing's worked for you yet. Good luck to you, let me know if you figure something out! Also, please try not to concern yourself so much with what others think. I'm one to talk, but still, I'm sure you've got a lot going for you that far outweighs bodily issues such as this.Jen

#3 stinkibutt

stinkibutt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 01:38 PM

Thank you for your reply. My stools have always smelled terrible, so I guess that it seemed normal to me. Thanks again.

#4 searching4answers

searching4answers

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 01:02 PM

The question is here: Did you really cure your bacteria overgrowth the first time? It sounds to me like it's back. Same symptoms I had. I've looked around and havent yet found anyone who's permanently cured their bacterial overgrowth without recurrance. I think this is the answer.

#5 Common Response

Common Response

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 709 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 08:32 AM

Hi SB.I chose my title (common response) because that's how people seem to react to those with bad odor.It seems to be a primordial response to reject those who don't smell normal.I've even observed myself automatically rejecting or feeling superior to others who I've noticed with odor even though I've suffered from your symptoms for many years. After the initial automatic response I then revert to an empathetic mode due to my personal experience & understanding. The point is that people are hard wired to negative reaction to those with odor.Regarding your symptoms and lactose intolerance, my recommendation is to adopt a healthy diet & exercise regime, but don't waver from this if you don't see any improvements in the short term.My theory is that this constant over powering odor is the by product of undesirable bacteria which have colonized your gut. This bacteria has probably established itself over many years and will take a long time to eradicate from your system. Every time you ingest unsuitable food (which in your case includes lactose), the poor bacteria continues to flourish.I used to eliminate certain selected foods for a month or so & then give up if I gained no results.The trick is to come up with a base diet covering all the variables & stick to this for a lengthy period. This will lead to eventual starvation of the undesirable bacteria.In our overly processed western diet there hundreds of substances such as lactose, preservatives, & colorings which may or may not be disclosed on labeling which may be contributing to your condition.Every time I travel to Asia, I eat locally produced whole foods including rice, spices, vegetables and fruit & avoid anything which is processed. l notice dramatic improvement to the performance of my gut, including the quality of stools & incidence of odor. During these stays l completely avoid anything which comes in a can, or packet, or out of a fast food outlet.After a month away in June my gut has kicked into a new level of performance, producing satisfying stools with greatly reduced odor. My gut seems to have also become much more tolerant should I cheat but I know l need to stick to eating good food.I recommend that you initially base your diet around the low FODMAP Diet recently developed by Dr Sue Shepherd.Information can be found at www.coeliac.com.auFODMAP lists trouble food groups and allows you to eliminate and experiment with known problem foods and how to recognize them.FermentableOligosacharidesDisaccharides (including lactose)Monosaccharides (including fructose)andPolyols (Sorbitol, Mannitol, Malitol, Xylitol, Xylitol & Iaolmalt)Going for periods on rice & water will compromise your immune system & allow bacteria growth to become even more entrenched.You need to recognize problem foods and reduce or eliminate these without affecting nutrition.You also need to stick to such a diet for at least 6 months to a year along with healthy lifestyle (exercise, relaxation) reduce alcohol & refrain from drugs & tobacco.Treat this as an Olympic Marathon & live your life accordingly.What I'd do is:1. Arrange gas tests to diagnose Lactose intolerance, & Fructose intolerance. 2. Study the FODMAP & design a natural diet around this and stick to it for an extensive period (eat to live or live to eat, your choice).3. Adopt a positive healthy lifestyle.There are no magic bullets as you've discovered via the medical profession & without personal experience no one else can ever understand what you are going through.Think of it this way. Many live inflexible unfulfiling lives. Your condition has provided you with incentive to completely change your life beginning with your diet & personal habits . Take this opportunity to improve your self awareness & live your life to its fullest.

#6 sosick&tired

sosick&tired

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 08:57 AM

Hi SB.I chose my title (common response) because that's how people seem to react to those with bad odor.It seems to be a primordial response to reject those who don't smell normal.I've even observed myself automatically rejecting or feeling superior to others who I've noticed with odor even though I've suffered from your symptoms for many years. After the initial automatic response I then revert to an empathetic mode due to my personal experience & understanding. The point is that people are hard wired to negative reaction to those with odor.Regarding your symptoms and lactose intolerance, my recommendation is to adopt a healthy diet & exercise regime, but don't waver from this if you don't see any improvements in the short term.My theory is that this constant over powering odor is the by product of undesirable bacteria which have colonized your gut. This bacteria has probably established itself over many years and will take a long time to eradicate from your system. Every time you ingest unsuitable food (which in your case includes lactose), the poor bacteria continues to flourish.I used to eliminate certain selected foods for a month or so & then give up if I gained no results.The trick is to come up with a base diet covering all the variables & stick to this for a lengthy period. This will lead to eventual starvation of the undesirable bacteria.In our overly processed western diet there hundreds of substances such as lactose, preservatives, & colorings which may or may not be disclosed on labeling which may be contributing to your condition.Every time I travel to Asia, I eat locally produced whole foods including rice, spices, vegetables and fruit & avoid anything which is processed. l notice dramatic improvement to the performance of my gut, including the quality of stools & incidence of odor. During these stays l completely avoid anything which comes in a can, or packet, or out of a fast food outlet.After a month away in June my gut has kicked into a new level of performance, producing satisfying stools with greatly reduced odor. My gut seems to have also become much more tolerant should I cheat but I know l need to stick to eating good food.I recommend that you initially base your diet around the low FODMAP Diet recently developed by Dr Sue Shepherd.Information can be found at www.coeliac.com.auFODMAP lists trouble food groups and allows you to eliminate and experiment with known problem foods and how to recognize them.FermentableOligosacharidesDisaccharides (including lactose)Monosaccharides (including fructose)andPolyols (Sorbitol, Mannitol, Malitol, Xylitol, Xylitol & Iaolmalt)Going for periods on rice & water will compromise your immune system & allow bacteria growth to become even more entrenched.You need to recognize problem foods and reduce or eliminate these without affecting nutrition.You also need to stick to such a diet for at least 6 months to a year along with healthy lifestyle (exercise, relaxation) reduce alcohol & refrain from drugs & tobacco.Treat this as an Olympic Marathon & live your life accordingly.What I'd do is:1. Arrange gas tests to diagnose Lactose intolerance, & Fructose intolerance. 2. Study the FODMAP & design a natural diet around this and stick to it for an extensive period (eat to live or live to eat, your choice).3. Adopt a positive healthy lifestyle.There are no magic bullets as you've discovered via the medical profession & without personal experience no one else can ever understand what you are going through.Think of it this way. Many live inflexible unfulfiling lives. Your condition has provided you with incentive to completely change your life beginning with your diet & personal habits . Take this opportunity to improve your self awareness & live your life to its fullest.

I completely agree with you CR. I was diagnosed with Fructose Malabsorption and have had to follow the FODMAP diet with little choice. I have had to tweak the Sue Shepherd list to a more restrictive diet cutting out additional things such as sugar and all fruit . It took at least 12 months for the bloating and constant gas to abate. However, the leaky gas and odour did not completely go away, even with the dietary changes. I have had to take liquid chlorophyll as well as multi-vitamins to control the gas. I've also noticed that the gas seems to get worse with stress, so exercise has been an added bonus in dealing with this.It is only after 18 months that I am now slowly trying to re-introduce 'fructose' foods into my diet, with some limited success. I can eat small quantities of a 'banned' food and get away with it without the full-blown after effect. All processed food has essentially been cut from my diet, and I have had to stick to home prepared food, and a more traditional asian diet.It doesn't help that in having this condition, I am hypersensitive to how other people are reacting to me. It just adds to the stress especially when in public situations. Irregardless of societies' natural reaction to odour, it is not anyone's right to make another individual feel bad about themselves.The only way I have stayed positive in all of this has been to view having this condition as a way to overhaul my bad habits, and live a better life.

#7 stinkibutt

stinkibutt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 08:00 PM

Thank you so much for the information. I will definitely try these things and I agree that when working with the bacteria overgrowth I seemed to do much better.Again, so much information! You guys are experts and I thank you for helping me. I'm sorry that other people have some of the same problems that I do, but thank you for sharing your knowledge.

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2014 All rights reserved IBS Self Help and Support Group

Website Monitoring by: AlertBot

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here