Advertisement

Photo

Terrible gas and bloating every morning when I wake up...please help!

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 bmaples

bmaples

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 01:09 PM

Advertisement
Hi all,For the past few months I've been experiencing extreme bloating most every morning when I wake up. Sometimes it wakes me up in the early morning and it's hard to get comfortable to get back to sleep. Other mornings, I don't even notice it until I sit up and get ready to start my day. In either case, it takes a couple of hours for me to 'deflate' typically before I feel confident about leaving the house. It's very uncomfortable, and hurts to even sit or stand at times. But once it's gone, it may not bother me again until bedtime, or even until the next morning again. What could be causing this? I've kept food journals in the past, and I'm never able to come up with something specific that could be causing it. I am vegetarian and gluten free...not sure what else I can really cut out at this point. At one point I thought that perhaps eating later at night might cause it to be worse in the mornings, b/c the food wasn't being digested properly? But it turns out that doesn't seem to have any effect on it - I can eat a snack at 10pm and go to bed and I wake up in pain, or I can eat a super healthy meal around 6pm and nothing else, and it still happens. Any advice? I'm kind of desperate here...starting out every day feeling crappy is wearing on my emotions.

Advertisement

#2 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34,889 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 02:08 PM

Usually gas is related to certain sugars and starches and doesn't have anything to do with protiens like gluten. Vegetarian diets usually have a lot of bacteria food.It may come out mostly in the morning as that is when the colon is most active (and sometimes when teh colon is active it is sensitive and the body will push the abdominal wall away from it to ease the pressure).The colon in all people every single day of their lives has a burst of activity in the morning. You can't stop it from happening, but you could try something like an antispasmodic or peppermint to reduce the pain.
My story of beating IBS: My Story with IBS
Ph.D in Biology

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2014 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here