1 reply to this topic

#1 august10

august10

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 02:35 PM

Advertisement
how do people live with this. how do u switch your mind away from the constant pain..the smelly burps..farts..rumblings..stomach discomfort...it is in the forefront of my mind all the time...and it is v difficult to know how to make it secondary..just something on the side ..rather than something that takes up your whole life. its not something that i can seem to run away from..and i wish i could.the smells are offensive...the discomfort is intrusive,..how can u manage to live a normal life? I am prob most comfortable when i am lying down on my back ..and i seem to be continuously massaging my tummy..hoping that something so simple could be the solution.

Advertisement

#2 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34,890 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 02:42 PM

Have you tried pepto bismol to see if that reduces the fart odor. It will for some people.Reducin sulfur in the diet may help as well (so 3 ounces of protein per meal and limit onions and garlic and other high sulfur veggies).Have you tried self-hypnotherapy. Some people find that helps with the mental aspect. Sometimes just choosing to focus on something else (which is more of a cognitive technique). When you find you are focused on it, tell yourself in your head to stop and then immediately find something else to occupy your mind (a good movie or a book if you can't move much, or take a walk or other exercise if you can move around more).
My story of beating IBS: My Story with IBS
Ph.D in Biology

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2014 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here