Sick for days with IBS/Gastritis

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Donica_*

Guest_Donica_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 August 2010 - 11:29 PM

Advertisement
Hi all:I've had IBS/Gastritis under control, until about a month ago, when both came back with a vengeance. With a few good days here and there, I've managed. But the last three or four days I've been absolutely miserable, with explosive diarrhea and a lack of appetite (from the gastritis). I'm not sure if I should just wait it out, or if there is something else underlying that I should check. My Gastroenterologist said that is was IBS and that gastritis takes a LONG time to heal. He has me on Sucalfrate (Gastritis) and Donnatal (for the IBS spasms). I've just started the Donnatal, but I've had a few diarrhea bouts even with it. My question is, has this type of thing happened to you, when you get a real bad spell and just think you are dying? I am absolutely MISERABLE.Donica

Advertisement

#2 overitnow

overitnow

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,019 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 11:40 PM

Hi all:I've had IBS/Gastritis under control, until about a month ago, when both came back with a vengeance. With a few good days here and there, I've managed. But the last three or four days I've been absolutely miserable, with explosive diarrhea and a lack of appetite (from the gastritis). I'm not sure if I should just wait it out, or if there is something else underlying that I should check. My Gastroenterologist said that is was IBS and that gastritis takes a LONG time to heal. He has me on Sucalfrate (Gastritis) and Donnatal (for the IBS spasms). I've just started the Donnatal, but I've had a few diarrhea bouts even with it. My question is, has this type of thing happened to you, when you get a real bad spell and just think you are dying? I am absolutely MISERABLE.Donica

Ask your doctor if he thinks some level of inflammation might be at play. I had gastritis, gall stones, IBS D and GERD, all seemingly from my one time addiction to cigarettes. While we may have different causes, this all sounds so similar ro what I went through. I have eliminated almost all symptoms for over 10 years with a supplement with anti-inflammatory benefits, especially in the colon and digestive tract. It might work as well for you.Mark
My story of beating IBS and my other chronic conditions: http://www.ibsgroup....total-wellness/

#3 Guest_Donica_*

Guest_Donica_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 August 2010 - 01:02 AM

Hey Mark:I mentioned all symptoms to my doctor the other day and says he doubts that there is any inflammation, just bad IBS and Gastritis. But I swear there must be, because I've never been THIS bad. He gave me a medication regiment for two weeks, and then he will schedule a colonoscopy. Last one was in October 2006 and no inflammation was found. Just IBS. What troubles me is the weight loss I've suffered in the last couple of weeks. Like eight pounds! I understand that I've almost cut my eating in half, but it's still disturbing. What is name of the supplement you are taking? Thanks for your thoughtful reply.Donica

#4 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34,889 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 07:48 AM

Some people have severe spells of IBS that last for weeks, months or years, so 3-4 days is not extraordinarily long for IBS diarrhea to be going on, even bad diarrhea.Also IBSers can still pick up bugs that would give anyone severe diarrhea for a few days.Eating 1/2 your normal food intake should cause some pretty dramatic weight loss. Sometimes when you eat a lot less sodium and starch you can drop 3-4 pounds in a week just from the water you no longer carry around.The weight loss that worries doctor would be you are eating as much or more than ever and still losing weight like that.Also if you really wind yourself up thinking you must have something much worse than just IBS and gastritis that will make the symptoms of IBS and gastritis (and any other health condition worse than ever).
My story of beating IBS: My Story with IBS
Ph.D in Biology

#5 Guest_Donica_*

Guest_Donica_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 August 2010 - 08:47 AM

Hi Kathleen:I'm concerned that I may have an inflammatory bowel disease in addition, with the weight loss, and now, this morning, a very low grade fever (around 99). I just feel really, really sick and yes, my mind is working overtime. I just never had BOTH gastritis and IBS last this long and make me feel so sick and so debilitated. I called my doctor and he said he would try to schedule a colonoscopy for next week, but has to wrangle with the insurance company. I usually don't look forward to these, but I think I am now. I just want to find out exactly what is going on.

#6 Guest_Donica_*

Guest_Donica_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 August 2010 - 09:25 AM

Scheduled a colonoscopy for Tuesday. I'm still shocked my insurance company authorized it so fast. Now I'll get some answers and let you know! Thanks again!

#7 overitnow

overitnow

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,019 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 09:35 PM

Scheduled a colonoscopy for Tuesday. I'm still shocked my insurance company authorized it so fast. Now I'll get some answers and let you know! Thanks again!

I fully agree with Kathleen that we can worry our way into unnecessary fear, which in our case will just exacerbate our symptoms. The thing with IBD is that digestive inflammation can appear in other places than just the colon; and that level of inflammation may not be what we think of when we think of IBD. In my case, I chain smoked for years and years until it first effected my digestion--gastritis--then my bowels with D first just following every cigarette I smoked and later everything I ate, finally emerging in acid reflux disease. While you can Google "smoking inflammation" and find that that is a predictable outcome, I was not aware of this common denominator of all of these symptoms, especially once I finally managed to quit the habit. All I knew was that I began taking a grape seed based supplement to control my cholesterol problem, Provex CV, only to find that it eliminated my GERD over the first month or two and slowly resolved the D. After 10 years of this relief, I found an old study that links the behaviour of blood platelets in both the function of cholesterol buildups and colon inflammation. The researchers from the London Hospital, who discovered this, theorized that a medicine that addressed this platelet movement in the cardio system could also suppress the same movement amongst the colon platelets. Contact with the man who heads the research on the supplement turned up his comments that general inflammation has been reported, with some indications of how that has been accomplished. That seems to be reflected in what I have experienced. Given the number of conditions that can result in an inflammatory response, which includes effects of the adrenaline release that accompanies stress and anxiety, I think it is worth pursuing before starting down the endless path of symptom control. Best of luck with your colonoscopy.Mark
My story of beating IBS and my other chronic conditions: http://www.ibsgroup....total-wellness/

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2014 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here