Left side, abdominal & lower back pain!? - Abdominal Pain - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Left side, abdominal & lower back pain!?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Randy68

Randy68

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 11:46 AM

Advertisement
Iím an active 42 year old male who has been dealing with IBS-D since high school. About 6 years ago I was diagnosed with GERD and now take medication for that. I have never experienced this left side, abdominal & lower back pain like this until about 2 years ago. The pain comes and goes, but can be pretty severe at times. I have had both a colonoscopy and endoscopy that came back OK. I have had a kidney stone before, so they did an abdominal CT. It showed a few stones, but none causing any blockages that would be causing this pain. I have had blood work done and all came back OK. I have been pushing for an MRI but the doctors seem very reluctant to say the least and just blame it on IBS. My father passed away about 4 years ago from Kidney cancer. He had several CT scans that came back clean, it was not until he had an MRI that they found the cancer. By this time it was too late. My lower back, left side and lower abdominal area is killing meÖ. Could this really just be IBS and do I have the right to push for an MRI?

#2 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34954 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 11:59 AM

IBS is the most common cause of abdominal pain. It can cause severe pain. Along the left side where the colon is on the left side is common in IBS. Abdominal pain often is felt in the back (referred pain).So it isn't odd the doctors would think your pain is likely to be IBS, not sure if you have symptoms other than pain that really mean you should push for an MRI (and are you someone that if the MRI is clean you'll find some other test you feel you need to have as some people are anxious enough there will always be another test they feel they need).Cancer rarely causes pain early in the disease so 2 years of pain without having anything else start really falling apart and screwing up your blood work, urine tests, etc. is more an IBS thing than a cancer thing.
My story of beating IBS: My Story with IBS
Ph.D in Biology

#3 Randy68

Randy68

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 12:29 PM

Thanks for the reply. That was kind of my thinking as well, if it were cancer... two years is kind of a long time to be having this pain with no other symptoms. I'm not a hypercondriac and I feel the MRI would be my final test, I just don't like the idea of doctors guessing. Is it common for IBS symptoms to change over time? For so many years it was just IBS-D and no pain other than a stomachache. Now its both IBS-D, IBS-C and some major pain.

#4 Randy68

Randy68

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 05:43 PM

Has anyone ever had IBS not only hurt in the lower back, but like down towards the tail bone area?

#5 Cindibravo

Cindibravo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 02:39 PM

Has anyone ever had IBS not only hurt in the lower back, but like down towards the tail bone area?

I have IBS-C & I have (sometimes severe) pain in my lower left abdomen & in the left sciatic area. It feels like an arrow straight thru my body. This pain also extends down to the tail bone area frequently. I haven't found anything yet that helps with it yet & my life is seriously restricted at this point. It's very frustrating & my doctor doesn't seem to get it. So I'm still looking for answers. Hang in there!

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here