8 replies to this topic

#1 janeingham

janeingham

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 08:39 AM

Advertisement
Hi everybody!Please is there anybody out there who has this symptom??Sometimes, I have (for no apparent reason)days where I feel like I want to empty my bowels and all that I pass is gas and Horrible mucus!!It really upsets me and then seems to go on for the rest of the day so that I get really anxious. Can anyone tell me why this happens?? It doesn't seem to be when I am necessarily constipated, altho sometimes it does.If anyone could tell me their experience with this it might help to calm me down because this really freaks me out! It makes me feel incontinent and dirty.Thanks to anyone who can help meJane xx

Advertisement

#2 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34,809 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 08:58 AM

If you are a bit constipated you will make more mucus to try to pass a stool that is harder to pass and usually when there is something in the rectum to pass there is gas with it, so a mucus and gas movement is not something that unusual, particularly for IBSers. IBSers sometimes make more mucus anyway as it is just a non-specific "not happy" response.Freaking out about it is probably much worse for you than passing a bit of mucus. Everyone makes some mucus all the time, so it isn't dirty or abnormal. IBSers, like I said may produce a bit more than usual, and since it lubricates stools if you have one that isn't moving along to the rectum that well (a bit dry and hard to pass) you will make more mucus than if you have a wet easy to pass stool moving along well.
My story of beating IBS: My Story with IBS
Ph.D in Biology

#3 annie7

annie7

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,469 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 09:00 AM

oh yes--i'm ibs-c and have had this happen for quite a few years now. somtimes it happens only once in a day but other times it's several times over a period of several hours or so. i don't know a lot about it and i'm not sure why it happens but from what i've read on the boards here and from articles elsewhere, passing mucus can be a part of ibs. you probably should mention it to your doctor--see what he/she says.i definitely understand what you mean about it making you feel incontinent and dirty. i wear pantiliners and used to keep a couple extra pairs of underwear in my locker at work just in case.

these are just my own thoughts. for expert medical advice please contact a health care professional.

#4 janeingham

janeingham

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 09:10 AM

Thanks both of you so much for answering.Has anyone any idea how to stop this happening?? Because it seems to happen 'out of the blue' I feel really insecure when passing wind and that causes me problems at work.In terms of other things - is it 'common' for this to go on all day and night as sometimes happens with me.Jane xx

#5 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34,809 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 12:27 PM

IBS has a habit most of the time of calming down during sleep, so if you wake up several times a night on a regular basis, especially with watery diarrhea (and especially if it is typically worse during sleep), that may mean you need a colonoscopy with biopsies unless you had one since that started.IBS can be all day every day.If it seems to be related to hard dry stools, then preventing hard dry stools (either osmotic laxatives or fiber) will help.Some people seem to find antihistamines can help, but mostly this is more about annoying rather than dangerous.
My story of beating IBS: My Story with IBS
Ph.D in Biology

#6 hating ibs

hating ibs

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 04:37 PM

IBS has a habit most of the time of calming down during sleep, so if you wake up several times a night on a regular basis, especially with watery diarrhea (and especially if it is typically worse during sleep), that may mean you need a colonoscopy with biopsies unless you had one since that started.IBS can be all day every day.If it seems to be related to hard dry stools, then preventing hard dry stools (either osmotic laxatives or fiber) will help.Some people seem to find antihistamines can help, but mostly this is more about annoying rather than dangerous.

Youre preaching to the choir!! I have suffered to extensive gas, bloating, and mucus most of my life. When im really having a bad bout of Ibs i pass so much mucus that it pours out of me. I have posted a few times about how to conrol this and it seems to be a mystery. Im trying pro biotics at the moment to see if its a bacterial problem, im also trying oil of oregano which kills bacteria overgrowth in the intestines, as well as yeast to see if that helps the mucus. There is 1 product called mucosal sold by jini patel, the author of "listen to your gut". Not sure if it works, but its supposo heal the mucus lining and heal the issue. Might be worth looking into.

Kevin

Horse lover - Tori Amos worshiper - Day Dreamer - Hard Worker - Colitis/Ibs-D sufferer sad.png

#7 mag32gie

mag32gie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 04:19 PM

I don't have IBS but had the mucus and gas for 3 weeks straight. I started drinking prune juice in the 4th week. Lots of brown water as a bowel movement which finally wore down what must have been a large "plug". Once it plopped out, I was fine and now keep my bowels open because the whole thing scared me half to death. All I could think of is a cancerous tumor but instead, it was a huge constipated mass and I didn't know it because some would slipped past.

#8 hadenuff29

hadenuff29

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 02:31 AM

Have a google of the Mucusless Diet + PDF Curezone. It's a free PDF someone has put on the net. Great read.  good luck mate.

mytummytantrum.com

#9 german

german

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 04:59 PM

Yes ive had it. I just wanted to warn you that the mucus can even change consistancy and it can still be ibs. My doctors told me they think I got giardia several months ago and my first symptoms were lots of gas and mucus. This eventually reduced but I started noticing translucent film on the toilet water. I freaked out! 

I saw several docs, had a upper and lower scope, bloodwork, etc... All normal.

To be honest none of my doctors even seem like they care at all. Not in a mean way but disinterested. I'm guessing because they arent seeing anything alarming.

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2014 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here