41 replies to this topic

#1 glynn

glynn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 03:15 PM

Advertisement
Hi, Im having discomfort down my right side,more a dull pain, from my lower rib down to, and often, into my hip. Occasionaly centre too, like a bloating below the sternum, and infrequently, lower left, above the groin. Bending causes a tender bloated feeling. Back pain too sometimes. Sleep is interupted, and I have difficulty getting back to sleep but not due to pain, more like anxiety.Nausea is worse than the abdominal pain though. Getting better after eating, This is constant for 6 weeks, not missing a day, permanant, Pretty Loose smelly stool, once every morning. Preceded by a gurgling rumbling bowel.Blood and stool samples ok.Im waiting to see the doc again on monday.The worry is effecting me, and my wife, Im 50 years old Is constant nausea a common IBS symptom? Makes me feel so unwell, dreadful.And 1 loose stool a day?And sleep probs?Thanks for reading,any tips.

Advertisement

#2 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34,385 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 04:15 PM

Sleep problems and IBS seem to like to go together.One loose stool a day is on the mild end but totally in the range of IBS stool issues.A lot of people have nausea, but unclear if they also have a functional problem up top as well as IBS, and those also tend to go together.Does ginger help with the nausea?
My story of beating IBS: My Story with IBS
Ph.D in Biology

#3 glynn

glynn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 05:09 PM

Sleep problems and IBS seem to like to go together.One loose stool a day is on the mild end but totally in the range of IBS stool issues.A lot of people have nausea, but unclear if they also have a functional problem up top as well as IBS, and those also tend to go together.Does ginger help with the nausea?

Ive tried ginger tea, I think it does help a little. Nausea is really awful, I feel trapped and have no way to make it better. I worry that if it gets worse, I may not be able to cope with it.When it does subside some, later in the day, my mind is free to worry about my gut then. :( By a "functional problem up top" do you mean a mental issue, such as anxiety etc? This may explain my poor sleep. I come immediately to full awake in the night and early morning, and have trouble getting back to sleep. Its not due to any real discomfort. Doctor thought thyroid, but thats been ruled out.Thanks for the reply Kathleen. Its a comfort to receive a response.

#4 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34,385 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 05:33 PM

Sorry, Upper GI funtional (usually mouth to small intestine start) as opposed to Lower GI which is mostly colon.Anxiety really can make things worse as can the physical stress of poor sleep. Unfortunately pain and GI symptoms seem to be symptoms that can trigger the anxiety and then you can get in a vicious cycle where the two things seem to feed off each other.
My story of beating IBS: My Story with IBS
Ph.D in Biology

#5 glynn

glynn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 06:07 AM

Sorry, Upper GI funtional (usually mouth to small intestine start) as opposed to Lower GI which is mostly colon.Anxiety really can make things worse as can the physical stress of poor sleep. Unfortunately pain and GI symptoms seem to be symptoms that can trigger the anxiety and then you can get in a vicious cycle where the two things seem to feed off each other.

I understand that. Thank you. Its so hard to relax properly, I may start to relax, feel comfortable, and a rumbling gurgling from my bowel, and then the poking in my side, and I start to worry again. The nausea is never far away, and that is the worse one of all. It is a vicious circle. Im just trying to ride this out till its sorted. I feel like my life is on hold until its resolved. I often fear the worst. Thanks again.

#6 Slade

Slade

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 02:22 PM

Sounds similar to my story. I felt depressed for some 6-7 months during the worst attack ever. No treatment was working and that made the anxiety and depression worse. Suddenly one day I had a "good day" (less pain, bloating and anxiety). Next week I had another good day and the week after - 2 good days! After several weeks I had 50/50 good and bad days! Some months later, slowly but surely I started to return to my old way of living but not completely. Unfortunately I'm an IBS-er now and I have to eat, drink, sleep, workout, worry and even get sick with a virus with great caution because of the IBS. Hope you can coupe with your problems!

#7 glynn

glynn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 04:55 PM

Im coping . The nausea isnt quite as bad now, but the pain in my side is getting more pronounced now, and its constant. Its level with my belly button on the right side, and goes up to my ribs. Sometimes it feels like something is trapped under my ribs. Its not acute pain but definately stronger this last week. Ive been feeling unwell for over 9 weeks now. Stools are still loose, but I dont go every day now, and that seems to help firm them up a bit. There seems to be no end to this Getting things done seems to take an age with the doctors. I go for ultrasound scan this coming saturday.

#8 Slade

Slade

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 01:42 PM

Yes, get your gallbladder checked to rule it out. I had pain under my right ribcage at one point - as if something was stuck under the ribs. It was dull and gnawing pain that wouldn't go away. Ultrasound showed nothing - normal liver and gallbladder. I stopped coffee, alcohol, raw fruits and veggies for some time and it sorted out. Now I eat and drink literally everything but I'm being carefull with quantity.

#9 rhysmom

rhysmom

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 02:01 PM

Does this get any better? I have had these symtoms for 4 years. The pain got so bad I could no longer take it and went into an after hours clinic and they diagnosised me with ovarian cysts, kidney stones and appendcitis. Turned out the appendix had adenocarcinoma and leaked into the colon. Another surgery and then the doctors pronouned me cancer free. But the pain is still there about where my pancreas is. I am in pain 2 hours after I eat for hours. It has gotten progressively worse for the last 6 months until eating is a problem, nausea, either constipation or diaherra, but the right side pain after eating is the worst. The doctors do MRI, blood tests, CT's, all are normal. The pain still gets worse any ideas. I am currently doing a CSdiet to get the micro villi in my small intestines better, according to the nutritionist. At least on this the barium from the CT scan taken a month ago finally exited my digestive tract. But this has done little to relive the pain.

#10 glynn

glynn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 12:52 PM

Yes, get your gallbladder checked to rule it out. I had pain under my right ribcage at one point - as if something was stuck under the ribs. It was dull and gnawing pain that wouldn't go away. Ultrasound showed nothing - normal liver and gallbladder. I stopped coffee, alcohol, raw fruits and veggies for some time and it sorted out. Now I eat and drink literally everything but I'm being carefull with quantity.

Thanks Slade. the Dr mentioned gallbladder. I guess this will be one of the things to check on the utltrasound.Had a better day today, not as much discomfort, and not been for a BM today either. Still not sleeping all the way through the night. I get about 6 hours, then wake up and rarely get back to sleep again. I dont understand this.Was fine till the onset of this business.Had a few mins of dullpain between my shoulder blades today, my left ankle was aching too for no reason, and 3 nights ago, I awoke in the night with a bleeding nose! None of which probably have anything to do with my stomach pains, but it makes you wonder! Oh, and a stiff neck and sensitive balls too.rhysmom, I hope you feel better real soon. Im just starting to realise how miserable your guts can make you feel, Physically AND mentally

#11 glynn

glynn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 01:48 PM

Had the ultrasound yesterday, All seems fine, gallbladder kidneys pancreas etc.I thought it would have been a full abdomen scan,but she said its a different test for lower down. The niggling discomfort is getting me down again. Its not really painful, but is constantly reminding me its there. Sometimes like a fluttering in my right side, to the right of my navel. Thought it was getting better for 3 days last week. I see my gp on friday for whatever comes next. I feel like the possibilities are getting fewer and fewer as to what this is :(

#12 peaches41

peaches41

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 02:14 PM

I wonder if it could be trapped wind? Why not try WindEze for a while and see if it subsides. Worth a try, and no side effects. Boots sell them, and I think major supermarkets.All the best

#13 glynn

glynn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 04:30 PM

I wonder if it could be trapped wind? Why not try WindEze for a while and see if it subsides. Worth a try, and no side effects. Boots sell them, and I think major supermarkets.All the best

Hi peaches.I wish it were trapped wind. Ive had the discomfort for several weeks now, along with loose stools every morning, and its accompanied with a general feeling of being unwell.

#14 anonymous313

anonymous313

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 10:07 AM

Hi peaches.I wish it were trapped wind. Ive had the discomfort for several weeks now, along with loose stools every morning, and its accompanied with a general feeling of being unwell.

I seem to get that. I can take something to constipate me the morning before, but then usually I'm in agony until I have a BM. So I wait til I have one, then I take the meds. I usually stay in pain, but less pain, and sometimes use the restroom a few more times, but it lasts for quite a bit, maybe 6 hrs. until it is more bearable.

#15 glynn

glynn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 12:32 PM

I seem to get that. I can take something to constipate me the morning before, but then usually I'm in agony until I have a BM. So I wait til I have one, then I take the meds. I usually stay in pain, but less pain, and sometimes use the restroom a few more times, but it lasts for quite a bit, maybe 6 hrs. until it is more bearable.

How strong is your pain, and is it continuous. Mine is continuous, but mild, except for frequent moments when it gives me a more severe poke, like when i twist or bend.Its getting worse though. And seems to be focused very much more in one main area, to the right of my belly button. I do get less frequent "pains" over my belly button, and also on the lower left, but not nearly as often as the right side.Is the "feeling unwell" a common symptom? Im getting more and more concerned by it. The loose stools dont seem to alter though.11 weeks now, since this started. :(

#16 anonymous313

anonymous313

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 05:08 PM

How strong is your pain, and is it continuous. Mine is continuous, but mild, except for frequent moments when it gives me a more severe poke, like when i twist or bend.Its getting worse though. And seems to be focused very much more in one main area, to the right of my belly button. I do get less frequent "pains" over my belly button, and also on the lower left, but not nearly as often as the right side.Is the "feeling unwell" a common symptom? Im getting more and more concerned by it. The loose stools dont seem to alter though.11 weeks now, since this started. :(

Usually from wakeup for 4-6 hrs. fairly continuously with BM's giving some relief. I get the "unwell" feeling, sometimes I feel like I'm either getting the sweats or I just can't control my body's temperature. However, I usually feel the worst after I eat something that triggers me like something spicy. That has made me feel like I had the flu or something similar...

#17 glynn

glynn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 02:00 PM

Well on top of my gut problems, Ive had a gum infection under a good tooth. Dentist said tooth is fine and have been on a weeks course of antibiotics. The tooth ache was pretty bad, and interestingly, my gut felt a lot better! :o Since Ive finished the antibiotics, my mouth is fine, but the pains in my right side, between ribs and hip are getting more severe. Not really bad, but more "poke" like, and if i stretch out on my belly, it seems to "pull" in my side. (Is this a common feeling?) Still having soft stool. But only once in a morning, and sometimes not at all. Do you think my guts flora will improve with probiotics ? :(Over 3 months of continuous symptoms now.

#18 bificus

bificus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 12:10 PM

Well on top of my gut problems, Ive had a gum infection under a good tooth. Dentist said tooth is fine and have been on a weeks course of antibiotics. The tooth ache was pretty bad, and interestingly, my gut felt a lot better! :o Since Ive finished the antibiotics, my mouth is fine, but the pains in my right side, between ribs and hip are getting more severe. Not really bad, but more "poke" like, and if i stretch out on my belly, it seems to "pull" in my side. (Is this a common feeling?) Still having soft stool. But only once in a morning, and sometimes not at all. Do you think my guts flora will improve with probiotics ? :(Over 3 months of continuous symptoms now.

I too suffer similar issues and its an ongoing issue but I manage OK. I had the same pain under ribs and abdominal pain everyone gave me the same explanation that I had gallstones. I found greek food and BBQ read rich foods were increasing my pain and suffering, then this food list became larger and larger leaving me to soup and crackers (over several years). After 2 ultrasounds I refused to waste time and money for scans and continued looking to Drs for relief. The drs finally did a HIDA scan which I failed miserably which showed poor bile movement in my digestive system. A liver enzyme test from a dr also pointed to a bilary issue that the ultrasounds did not detect. Then took my gall bladder out after a serious weight loss and pain then within months it came back with a vengeance. What I figured out is it acting like a gallstone issue then what I am experiencing is a bile blockage. Thick bile or crystaline substance apparently. So what I do is drink lots of apple juice and water, if you can palette lots of apple cider there is one with extra malic acid the good stuff from apples. I also used Critical Liver Support and it helped me out a ton with the poking cramping and nausea typical of a gallstone symptom issue. Wish I found this out before I had surgery. Its not perfect but I feel a lot of relief when doing the apple cider and liver supplements from renew life. And yes probiotics and fiber (oats soy whatever). And lastly I take donnatal for days my abdominal pain are unbearable until I can get my ship righted again. Good luck.

#19 screeb

screeb

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 01:49 AM

It sounds like you have delayed gastric emptying. I left off on my blog saying the NTS was activated by ghrelin. The NTS also projects to the Lateral Hypothalamic Area (LHA) which causes vasodilation of the liver's blood vessels. This causes increased portal vein flow and decreased portal vein pressure, decreasing splenic pressure (the spleenic veins project to the portal vein), and decreasing fluid extravasation--causing increased hepatocyte cross-sectional diameter--which decreases the liver's capacitance for nutrient rich blood absorption. One can use the Traction procedure to reverse the above situation and decrease hepatocyte size--thus allowing nutrient absorption in the liver, which filter's all food before it goes systemic. The use of the Traction device has concominant right side pain associated with it. Increased splenic pressure increases messenteric arterial stricture, and the reduced perfusion of messenteric blood vessels excite intestinal vascular afferent fibers activation of TRPv1 via the axon reflexes. This induces distension-induced sensation, including pain. Also, activation of TRPv1 channels is associated with a transient contraction of the proximal and transverse colon, (causing colon motility improvement).

#20 searching4answers

searching4answers

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 03:37 PM

This "poke" feeling is like what you feel with SIBO, it feels like someone is jabbing you with the rounded clicky part of a pen. I have had SIBO for 2 years, diagnosed by a gastroenterologist. My pains were left abdomen, lower right pelvis, near bellybutton, & rectum. The floating stools, nausea, extreme fatigue after eating, noisy popping sounds coming from tummy, and a fluttering like feeling of gas in waves as it moves down in your stomach, lots of gas and bloating are also SIBO symptoms. I had these. I was treated with antibiotics twice. I took Flagyl (metronidazole). 1st time it went away for 10 days and then it all came back. 2nd time the meds did nothing. I've had a few xrays done that showed i had stool backed up in my intestine and that was basically preventing me from ridding of my SIBO because the stool was backed up in the intestines allowing for a bacteria feeding frenzy. & im sure the problem is not from "up the rear" because i had a rectal exam done and everything was perfectly normal.Since then i was put on a probiotic called Culturelle-Natural Health & Wellness and also Miralax twice a day. This has kept the symptoms of pain away and it keeps things moving. The last xray i got showed significant improvement and I've been not getting whatever colds are going around as often anymore. Hope this helps. Some foods you also might want to stay away from are foods that have alot of carbs, wheat, or high fructose corn syrup in them. Watch out for pastas, potatoes, breads, waffles, juices and cereals.Btw all my symptoms started after a bout of the stomach flu (had for 3 weeks). Also other things that may have contributed to the # of bacteria being messed up in my stomach are that i had just gotten off birth control pills, it within a year of stopping being vegetarian, frequent sinus infections meant i was prescribed antibiotics alot, and I looooved carbs.

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2014 All rights reserved IBS Self Help and Support Group

Website Monitoring by: AlertBot

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here