3 replies to this topic

#1 will-try-anything

will-try-anything

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 02:48 PM

Advertisement
Hello,I wanted to provide some background on my situation in the hopes that someone can assist me. I started having probems with IBS-D about 10 years ago. Since then I have tried just about everything...benefibre, calcium, diet changes, probiotics, candida diet etc with varying levels of success. Essentially, I go through periods where things are working well and then times where this is ruining my life. Last year, I moved to another city and began my Masters... this is when my symptoms became out of control. When my D is really bad I can end up taking 4-6 fast acting immodium everyday just to get through the day. I went to see a naturopath who suggested that I go on a gluten free diet eliminating lactose and decreasing my sugar intake (I have long been lactose intolerant so I had already eliminated most dairy). She thought that I had a problem with Candida and that is why the D would become worse when I was stressed out. After testing my blood she determined that I had other food intolerances (soy and egg). After she told me this I eliminated soy and egg from my diet. I did see some symptom relief but I am not sure if this is due more to becoming more comfortable in my environment. I should mention that the year before I was drinking bio-k soy probiotic, eating a regular diet and I had little issues with my stomach ---also had less stress.A few months ago I reintroduced gluten and tested negative for celiac disease.Last week I started my new job and had an absolutely horrible time in the morning. Right when I woke up I had terrible pain in my stomach and a very watery D. I ended up taking 8 immodiums so that I would be able to drive the hour and a half to get to work. Ever since I interviewed for the job my stomach has been out of control...prior to that I was doing fine.So...my question is... would an anxiety medication reduce my symptoms? It seems like anxiety/stress have a large impact on my IBS.What I am currently doing to try to decrease my symptoms:-I started taking Dicetel again- Will begin taking Bio-K rice probiotic when I am able to obtain it from the local health food store- will attempt to listen to the IBS audio cds--- I tried them last year but kept falling asleepSorry for the long post ----any suggestions would be fantastic ---:)There are days when I think this is going to destroy me and my ability to be productive and happy. Thanks everyone in advance for your help!

Advertisement

#2 crstar

crstar

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 06:16 PM

everyone, or just about everyone on this site is working from the wrong end of things..........if all u ever do is treat the symptoms of some condition, u will never have a hope fixing things...........there r many drugs out there to treat symptoms & the pharmaceutical companies just love u all..........very similar to a corner drug pusher........& u need a fix..........don't mean to sound harsh, but i've been in this situation for going on 10yrs & i have alot of experience under my belt..............i have said variations of this over & over & i have gotten very little in the way of feedback, except when someone wants to blast me for my frankness.........when u have D that doesn't resolve itself in short order, there can b a few things to look at 1st, one by one.............D is the result of a muscle system that is spasming...........it also is not very porous...........sodium draws out liquid, dehydrates, & generally potassium lets liquid in.......but it all has to b in balance, just like everything..........the thing is when someone like us in the D end of things, taking sea salt, in food & in hot water, dissolved, can really have a benefit on it all.............& here's why, the adrenal stress hormones control muscle contraction or the lack of same & u can't make those hormones w/o sodium..........this salt free society we live in is going to kill us all............it is one of the most prevalent electrolytes we need without exception...........what this can mean is that the heart can't contract very well w/o it..........sodium carries water into the cells, w/o enough, u can drink till u die & still b dehydrated........so have some sea salt.........also, as i've said b 4, try looking at adrenal fatigue & hypothyroidism.............do u get enough iodine..??...........when under stress or sweating lot, u lose it & ur thyroid can't make it's hormones......this can cause the adrenals to try to take up the slack & all around u suffer.............if candida is ruled out, then check into these things, cause i'll tell u, i suffered a long time w/adrenal insufficiency & hypothyroidism & drs telling me it's in my head..........if u r depressed because of D, then don't touch anti-depressives with a 20ft pole, that goes for antispasmodics, too..........both of those manipulate ur own hormones & it leads to many things that can make u wish all u had was ibs-d..............when man messes with brain hormones, someone should b shot.......there r so many other things that r natural, that should always b tried 1st, 2nd & 3rd, b 4 drugs..............if u take these & u have adrenal fatigue & or hypothyroidism, u r going to pay in some physical way for this quick fix..............cause that's all they r..........i have sid this b 4 & i'll stand by it, the body is a symphony of the most wonderful music.............if u give it what it needs or what u were born genetically deficient in, then u won't need to resort to short cuts that take u down the wrong road.............with the human body, there r no short cuts...........& making connections where there shouldn't b any, can make u wis u'd never done that or this & it's a case of what was i thinking...........try celtic sea salt............

#3 alwaysfeltdifferent

alwaysfeltdifferent

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 11:28 PM

Yup, it does sound like anxiety does play a large part in your IBS D as it does for me. I used to go to a psychiatrist and he told me that the brain gut reaction is split second for those of us who have an anxiety disorder or are prone to diarrhea. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that you have an anxiety disorder, only that you are experiencing the brain gut reaction that some people experience when going through a very stressful time in there lives. Moving is one of the most stressful things a person can do, so that doesn't mean you have an anxiety disorder, it just means you are kind of normal. Unfortunately, your stress comes out in D. I think is it very noble of you and crstar to try and do things the natural way and it does seem like you have tried many methods of get hold of this problem both holistically and with medication. Having limited success can be very frustrating. One thing does sound promising though and that is you stated that once you get used to a place, your diarrhea tends to improve. Now this is where crstar and I differ somewhat. I feel if you have tried everything and have had limited success, you run the risk of becoming depressed or more anxious because you never really know when the damn thing is going to hit you. There are some medications that do help with the combination of anxiety, depression and IBS because they are somewhat constipating for others while they just work to keep our systems regular. The drawback to the one that I am thinking of off the top of my head is that it can make you pile on weight. If you are very underweight right now, this may be a blessing. If not, then it could be a problem. Having said that, I know of people who have gone on this medication and have not put on an ounce, but the majority do pack on some weight. If you are just anxious and aren't depressed or you are anxious and depressed but only because you can't stop the D, then you could go on an anti anxiety medication for a short time to see if it does help. I still get attacks of IBS D, but the medication I take on a daily basis has helped a little along with taking a calcium carbonate supplement daily. I respect crstar for his opinion, but if you have already tried all of the natural ways of trying to control this annoyance and have not had success, then it may be time to bring in a medication that might help you relax therefore help eliminate the problems related to IBS D. By no means do I feel that this need be a long term solution. It could be something you take just while going through this transitioning time in your life, career, and change of city. Once settled, you can wean yourself off of the medication. You may only need a short acting benzo (lorazepam) for a month and then you can cut it out gradually over a months time. If you find after you've stopped taking the meds, your body goes back to being the way it was, unpredictable and you have constant fear of having an IBS D attack, you might want to switch to a long acting benzo for safety reasons. With a long acting benzo, you will not find that you have to keep raising it. Once your level is found, it stays the same and there isn't this constant fear of needing to up medication every couple of months. Long acting benzos stay in your system continuously when taken two to three times a day over a two week period. Once you have reached your ideal level, you will sleep better, be calm and it may even help the IBS D. I can't say that I no longer have IBS D, but it does make it easier and if I have any problems with it, it usually is because I forget to take my calcium carbonate at meal times.I'm not going to tell you what you should or shouldn't do, but here are the facts as I see them and you have to gather all the information you can before you make a decision either way about introducing medication into the mix. I look forward to hearing what decision you make. BTW, I've gone veggie and definitely haven't felt better regarding IBS D. Sorry for the length of this, but I actually could have gone on and on with this topic.

#4 will-try-anything

will-try-anything

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 09:20 PM

Yup, it does sound like anxiety does play a large part in your IBS D as it does for me. I used to go to a psychiatrist and he told me that the brain gut reaction is split second for those of us who have an anxiety disorder or are prone to diarrhea. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that you have an anxiety disorder, only that you are experiencing the brain gut reaction that some people experience when going through a very stressful time in there lives. Moving is one of the most stressful things a person can do, so that doesn't mean you have an anxiety disorder, it just means you are kind of normal. Unfortunately, your stress comes out in D. I think is it very noble of you and crstar to try and do things the natural way and it does seem like you have tried many methods of get hold of this problem both holistically and with medication. Having limited success can be very frustrating. One thing does sound promising though and that is you stated that once you get used to a place, your diarrhea tends to improve. Now this is where crstar and I differ somewhat. I feel if you have tried everything and have had limited success, you run the risk of becoming depressed or more anxious because you never really know when the damn thing is going to hit you. There are some medications that do help with the combination of anxiety, depression and IBS because they are somewhat constipating for others while they just work to keep our systems regular. The drawback to the one that I am thinking of off the top of my head is that it can make you pile on weight. If you are very underweight right now, this may be a blessing. If not, then it could be a problem. Having said that, I know of people who have gone on this medication and have not put on an ounce, but the majority do pack on some weight. If you are just anxious and aren't depressed or you are anxious and depressed but only because you can't stop the D, then you could go on an anti anxiety medication for a short time to see if it does help. I still get attacks of IBS D, but the medication I take on a daily basis has helped a little along with taking a calcium carbonate supplement daily. I respect crstar for his opinion, but if you have already tried all of the natural ways of trying to control this annoyance and have not had success, then it may be time to bring in a medication that might help you relax therefore help eliminate the problems related to IBS D. By no means do I feel that this need be a long term solution. It could be something you take just while going through this transitioning time in your life, career, and change of city. Once settled, you can wean yourself off of the medication. You may only need a short acting benzo (lorazepam) for a month and then you can cut it out gradually over a months time. If you find after you've stopped taking the meds, your body goes back to being the way it was, unpredictable and you have constant fear of having an IBS D attack, you might want to switch to a long acting benzo for safety reasons. With a long acting benzo, you will not find that you have to keep raising it. Once your level is found, it stays the same and there isn't this constant fear of needing to up medication every couple of months. Long acting benzos stay in your system continuously when taken two to three times a day over a two week period. Once you have reached your ideal level, you will sleep better, be calm and it may even help the IBS D. I can't say that I no longer have IBS D, but it does make it easier and if I have any problems with it, it usually is because I forget to take my calcium carbonate at meal times.I'm not going to tell you what you should or shouldn't do, but here are the facts as I see them and you have to gather all the information you can before you make a decision either way about introducing medication into the mix. I look forward to hearing what decision you make. BTW, I've gone veggie and definitely haven't felt better regarding IBS D. Sorry for the length of this, but I actually could have gone on and on with this topic.

I want to begin by thanking everyone for their feedback. The postings have definitely given me something to reflect on. I do feel like I have explored many options supplements, diet changes, probiotics etc. I think it is time to entertain the possiblility that I may need to add something to decrease my anxiety level. I really appreciate the feedback from alwaysfeltdifferent because you provided me with insight into your own experiences with anxiety medication. I am going to see my doctor next Monday so I will keep you posted with my progress.

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2014 All rights reserved IBS Self Help and Support Group

Website Monitoring by: AlertBot

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here