#1 MondayMorning

MondayMorning

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 10:18 AM

Advertisement
hey all, was just reading another thread and was curious on how i can prepare foods that are easier to digest for the gut?i try to chew my food as much as possible to make it easier, but i don't know if this helps or not. thanks

Advertisement

#2 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34,853 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 10:27 AM

Chewing food helps, and cooked food generally is easier than raw food.Most of IBS isn't a problem of digestion but a problem with the parts of the food no human can digest and cooking foods can get rid of some of the problematic compounds like sorbitol.For some other foods (beans, primarily) pre-soaking the dried beans and then cooking in fresh water helps as that dissolves out some of the problematic sugars no human digests.IBSers often have issues even with normal gas volumes so these things that reduce the gas anyone would make from the food can help.Avoiding greasy, fatty, heavy, rich foods can help as well as those stimulate the gut more than lighter fare does.
My story of beating IBS: My Story with IBS
Ph.D in Biology

#3 overitnow

overitnow

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,019 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 11:01 AM

Would digestive enzymes and extracts of papaya help? Does anyone here have any positive experience with that approach?Mark
My story of beating IBS and my other chronic conditions: http://www.ibsgroup....total-wellness/

#4 BQ

BQ

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14,197 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 11:20 AM

I have Mark. I use them when I know I am eating something my gut seems to have trouble with. And I find I have less symptoms afterwards. So I would definitely recommend a good digestive enzyme. BTW I usually take them with the meal.
Please remember this is a group of folks seeking support on how to live with and manage IBS. THESE ARE ONLY MY OWN THOUGHTS. IF YOU WANT AN EXPERT OPINION, ASK A MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL.

#5 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34,853 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 01:32 PM

Hard to know how much plant enzymes help, but some people say they do.Supplements with pancreatin in them (an animal enzyme) can reduce post meal bloating, but that doesn't seem to be from digesting more food than you would without them. Mostly because they are part of the signals used to tell the gut what to do.They need to be taken with meals usually at the start, but it can help me with the way too full after not eating much issue.
Ph.D in Biology

#6 NeedHelp14

NeedHelp14

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 03:04 PM

Any food that is raw is generally difficult for the body to digest, especially fruits and vegetables. Make sure you cook everything well.

#7 MondayMorning

MondayMorning

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 09:33 AM

oh, ok.thanks guys.what does everyone think about frozen foods from the supermarket that are then cooked at home in the oven?

#8 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34,853 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 09:37 AM

Depends on the frozen food.Are you talking about frozen veggies or complete meals.Will depend on what it in the processed food, the closer it is to real food rather than extruded food like product the more likely it is to have fewer things added that might bother you.If you can't tolerate fat or starch cooked from scratch, you won't tolerate a fatty or starchy meal from the frozen section.
Ph.D in Biology

#9 MEF

MEF

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 11:32 AM

Chopping, cutting, or grinding foods (especially nuts) into small pieces is also suppose to help, though it doesn't seem to make a difference for me but you might as well try.

#10 MommyL

MommyL

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 09:06 AM

I take digestive enzymes called Thera-zyme and I have had good luck with them. They are suppose to be some of the best enzymes. I take two capsules before meals and one capsule for snacks. I get them through a ND in Colorado. It is Timothy Long at Long Natural Health. They have one called Thera-zyme Irb for IBS that I want to try as well. Here is some information on them: https://www.longnatu...ducts.asp?P=72I was taking the PAN (multi-food digestive enzyme) but then took the 24-hour urine test and I am going to be ordering the HCL one. I started out with the PAN for months which helped and I still want to try the IrB.He also suggest taking colostrum and a probotic, as does Dr. Snow as per the previous post.As mentioned above, chewing food and really taking the time to chew is important as well.

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2014 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here