2 replies to this topic

#1 Neverends

Neverends

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 06:38 PM

Advertisement
Okay, I keep reading that most of the time IBS problems don’t wake you up, but then I also read here that the colon is most active between 5 and 7 a.m. and that some people have a lot of pain/problems then. So, if gas pains wake you up then, is that a normal IBS occurrence (as opposed to 2 or 3 a.m.)?I was in a bout of symptoms recently for about a month. Went to my family doctor and he changed what I was taking. After a week of that, I went two weeks symptom-free. (Prior to this I rarely had horrible symptoms and was able to control my IBS-C with magnesium every night.) Two days ago, the pain and cramps, gas, and feeling like I have to still “go” when I just “went,” have returned, along with the back pain. This morning I woke up at 7:20 with pretty bad abdominal pains, mostly right around the belly button, maybe a little higher/lower moving around and down to the left and in the lower center. Passed a lot of gas over the next hour and then was able to go back to sleep until I had to get up for church an hour later. Yesterday and today I have had my normal pain and cramping through the day. (Had a very similar one-morning occurrence around the same time about two months ago.)Had a colonoscopy 18 months ago (no problems at all; come back in 10 years). Had my yearly gyno checkup a few weeks ago when I was in the middle of the last bout. She did a stool thing for blood and that was negative. Currently I take two daily stool softeners, one “serving” of Benefiber, and 500 to 750 milligrams of magnesium before bed (I’m IBS-C most of the time). I also take a diuretic at night, from which I always wake up about 5 hours after I go to sleep from that. When I woke up with the gas pains this morning, since that was about 5 hours after I went to bed, I’m also thinking I could have been starting to wake up anyway like I normally do due to the diuretic and my colon “woke up” before I was completely awake.I also had changed my diet slightly over the last week to try to eat more veggies (I joined Weight Watchers two months ago and it’s working great so far). Maybe too much insoluble fiber??Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated—and I apologize for the long post.Thanks!Pam

Advertisement

#2 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34,863 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 07:37 PM

Yep, even if it is earlier than you want to get up, the colon being active around dawn/wake up time is normal.IBSers tend to over-respond to that signal so it can mean a more urgent bowel movement at that time than usual (or more urgent farting).Other GI illnesses (like GERD) are more likely to wake you in the middle of sleep or shortly after going to sleep, but pain during the middle of sleep doesn't rule out IBS, it is just less common in IBS than in other GI illnesses.There was the "what symptoms are IBS vs other things" study awhile ago and I think the health controls got abdominal pain at night something like 1-5%, IBSers were like 15-20% and people with GERD was more like 50%. So it isn't that it can't be IBS even at 2 am, but other things are more common to cause pain at that time and so should be checked for.Microscopic colitis, which doesn't tend to be that painful, will tend to cause copious watery diarrhea predominately when you should be sleeping.When I was on a diuretic the recommended taking it in the morning so you wouldn't have to get up and pee at night from it. Is there a reason you take it at night?
My story of beating IBS: My Story with IBS
Ph.D in Biology

#3 Neverends

Neverends

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 08:53 PM

Itís good to hear itís a normal thing! And this morning I didnít wake up with cramping or pain at all. In fact, I felt fine when I woke upÖand for about an hour after that. But then it started again. Also another thing. I wonít bore you with the history, but due to some female stuff going on (Iím ďsupposedĒ to be post-menopause), my gyno has me on three months of cyclic Proveraóten days on, then off to see if Iíll get a period, then the same thing the next month, and the month after that. Two days after I went off the Provera last week, all this cramping and pain started up again. Today I started what so far is apparently a small period and my cramping was really bad. Took some ibuprofen and it got better. So it could very well be a mix of the two types of cramping? My regular doc did call in some generic Bentyl, but I donít want to take that unless I have to because of all the possible side effects, not to mention it can cause constipation and Iím pretty much IBS-C. Iím ordering some enteric peppermint caps tonight, too.As for the HCTZ, for some reason it seems to work better when I take it at night, although I know that makes no sense. I mentioned that to a nurse one time. She took the same one and said she felt that way, too. I really need to try taking it during the day, I know.Thanks, Kathleen!

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2014 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here