9 replies to this topic

#1 SARAH2233

SARAH2233

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 02:08 PM

Advertisement
Ive had no replies to my earlier request and now I'm even more worried. Is there NO-ONE who passes loads of mucus with wind?? I just don't understand why I get this and I'm really really worried. It feels like I'm having diarrhoea. There's no pain at all. Just loads of rumblings and wind noises and clear jelly mucous. Please let me know that I'm not alone :o Thank you, Sarah.

Advertisement

#2 MIRMAK

MIRMAK

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 04:29 PM

Do you mean mucous only during BM? Yes it happens to me sometimes, not really often.But I also have mucous even without BM, which really annoys me, my cloth became wet, so I could not wear anything except jeans, because otherwise people can notice wet spots on my pants :(

#3 livelearnluv

livelearnluv

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 10:32 AM

Ive had no replies to my earlier request and now I'm even more worried. Is there NO-ONE who passes loads of mucus with wind?? I just don't understand why I get this and I'm really really worried. It feels like I'm having diarrhoea. There's no pain at all. Just loads of rumblings and wind noises and clear jelly mucous. Please let me know that I'm not alone :o Thank you, Sarah.

Hey, I suffer from Ulcerative Colitis and I have that very same problem. I make sure I do not flatulate until I am sitting on the porcelain king and it usually comes out mucousy. My doctor says that it's from my ulcers...it's kinda like pus from any other kind of ulcer on the skin or the mouth. I also have noticed a difference (more mucous) with a new medication I am taking called Mesalamine. It's a suppository I do at night. For me mucous is better than bleeding so I'll take it. What were you diagnosed with?

#4 bustedstuff

bustedstuff

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 10:43 PM

You're not alone. Mucus is normally produced by the large intestine to aid in the passing of stool. In that world of rainbows, unicorns, and healthy bowels, this goes unnoticed as it is mixed in with the stool and in amounts just enough to allow easy movement.Passing visible amounts and in the absence of a BM would indicate some irritation of the intestine....such as...(wait for it)...IBS. Colitis and Crohn's are other common causes. Less common could be infection, but basically anything that irritates the colon can stimulate it to overproduce mucus as it attempts to protect itself. I am certainly of no position to diagnose anything, but if gas and mucus are your only issues and you do not have any of the other IBS-type GI dysfunction, I might be curious about a bacterial infection. As those may or may not resolve themselves, I would talk to my doc about it and find out about testing and possible treatments.

#5 SARAH2233

SARAH2233

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 05:16 AM

Hey, I suffer from Ulcerative Colitis and I have that very same problem. I make sure I do not flatulate until I am sitting on the porcelain king and it usually comes out mucousy. My doctor says that it's from my ulcers...it's kinda like pus from any other kind of ulcer on the skin or the mouth. I also have noticed a difference (more mucous) with a new medication I am taking called Mesalamine. It's a suppository I do at night. For me mucous is better than bleeding so I'll take it. What were you diagnosed with?

NOTHING!! Nothing was found when I had a barium enema and that is why I'm so worried. What I mean is - on a day to day basis - I get a colossal amount of wind - or to be more precise passing wind is as common to me as breathing. Sorry to say that but it's true. When I had my barium enema the radiologist said I had an awful lot of bowel for such a small person and I wondered then if that had anything to do with my big wind problem..... But when I can't pass wind - for socially inappropriate reasons - and the wind is continually "sent back" into intestines I ALWAYS get the mucus thing (after a while of sending it back) and so I no longer pass wind, just clear mucous. It is very very embarrassing as even my outer clothing looks wet. Yesterday and today have been fine without this mucous problem. It just comes out of the blue and it's DEFINATELY something to do with flatus....

#6 SARAH2233

SARAH2233

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 05:21 AM

You're not alone. Mucus is normally produced by the large intestine to aid in the passing of stool. In that world of rainbows, unicorns, and healthy bowels, this goes unnoticed as it is mixed in with the stool and in amounts just enough to allow easy movement.Passing visible amounts and in the absence of a BM would indicate some irritation of the intestine....such as...(wait for it)...IBS. Colitis and Crohn's are other common causes. Less common could be infection, but basically anything that irritates the colon can stimulate it to overproduce mucus as it attempts to protect itself. I am certainly of no position to diagnose anything, but if gas and mucus are your only issues and you do not have any of the other IBS-type GI dysfunction, I might be curious about a bacterial infection. As those may or may not resolve themselves, I would talk to my doc about it and find out about testing and possible treatments.

Thank you for replying. I will certainly mention the possibility of a bacterial infection to my GP as I get no other IBS symptoms at all and my barium enema exam was normal too. The mucous is so embarrassing - just pours out into loo with excessive flatus. Yuk!!

#7 romac

romac

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 01:00 PM

My IBS (or at least what I'm led to believe I have had for donkey's years)symptoms are exactly the ones you describe. Dreadful and persistent wind with mucous-type watery excreta. When I get really fed up of it, or if I am visiting someones house, or going out for the day, and ready access to toilets is uncertain, I take a couple of Loperamide. I don't like taking them particularly - they seize up my system more than a bit, so I really swing to the other extreme which is not great - but it's better than the awful alternative. With me the effect of Loperamide lasts about up to a week or so. Then I suffer that horrible explosive gas and mucous combination again until I give in to the tablets once more. Personally I've tried every kind of diet going to try and pin down this problem (it may well not be diet-connected of course) without cracking it so far. I'm on a new exclusion "diet" now which seems to have improved things quite a bit but it's early days, and maybe wishful thinking to believe it's any kind of a solution. If the improvement continues I'll post something for sure.

#8 SARAH2233

SARAH2233

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 04:18 AM

My IBS (or at least what I'm led to believe I have had for donkey's years)symptoms are exactly the ones you describe. Dreadful and persistent wind with mucous-type watery excreta. When I get really fed up of it, or if I am visiting someones house, or going out for the day, and ready access to toilets is uncertain, I take a couple of Loperamide. I don't like taking them particularly - they seize up my system more than a bit, so I really swing to the other extreme which is not great - but it's better than the awful alternative. With me the effect of Loperamide lasts about up to a week or so. Then I suffer that horrible explosive gas and mucous combination again until I give in to the tablets once more. Personally I've tried every kind of diet going to try and pin down this problem (it may well not be diet-connected of course) without cracking it so far. I'm on a new exclusion "diet" now which seems to have improved things quite a bit but it's early days, and maybe wishful thinking to believe it's any kind of a solution. If the improvement continues I'll post something for sure.

Thank you for that. Its such a relief when someone says they know what I'm talking about. I've not had the dreadful symptoms now for three days. I've been eating exactly the same things so I'm as sure as I can be that it's not diet related. It's definately something to do with keeping all the wind in I'm sure. Something happens when I do that as it's the same pattern everytime :unsure:

#9 tws5d

tws5d

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 12:22 PM

I get this too on occasion. I've been diagnosed with IBS as a result of anxiety, and this really just comes out of the blue, and then disappears for a while. Most of my BMs are clearly mucousy, but sometimes after a BM, I will be very gassy to the point where it just rumbles constantly through my stomach, and always feels like it could be gas or maybe something a little extra so I usually go to the bathroom instead of risking it. It's almost like when you're at the end of a ketchup bottle, and there is barely any left, and when you squeeze it, it just sort of squirts/splatters out, except it's mucous. Sorry for the very visual analogy but it's really the best way I can describe how it feels. You are definitely not alone.

#10 Constinker

Constinker

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 10:28 AM

I've on a few occasions thinking it was just a fart, literally dropped a tablespoon of mucus into my undies. On one occasion I was out drinking and simply ditched my undies, cause I couldn't go home soon and I was afraid it would become visible from the outside. Docs never really said anything about it, except one guy who said a knows a few people get that, but he didn't seem to have any idea why.

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2014 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here