1 reply to this topic

#1 Riley patterson

Riley patterson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 September 1998 - 02:09 AM

Advertisement
Dear Doc or anyone,I have recently been diagnosed with dysfunctional bowel syndrome. I have had some bowel problems all my life (I am now 46), but had a LOT of lower right abdominal pain for the last eight years. I even had a hysterectomy which I probably didn't need because my GYN doc thought an ovarian cyst and other female problems were the source of my pain. They weren't. Finally, after numerous visits and tests which indicated NO problems with my colon or intestines, I found a GI who believed that the pain was real and prescribed Librax which has been very effective at relieving the ab. pain. I feel like I have my life back again. I still have some FMS symptoms but they have also improved. And I still have to be cautious about what I eat but overall, I feel SO much better and I actually rest at night. Finally, my question: What is the difference betweeen IBS and dysfunctional bowel syndrome? The GI doc said they were similar but not exactly the same. I was so happy to be relatively pain free that I didn't ask him to clarify this diagnosis. I was just happy that my pain had a name. Can anyone help me understand the difference between the two conditions? Thanks, Patt

Advertisement

#2 Guest_DocJ_*

Guest_DocJ_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 September 1998 - 06:42 PM

Patt-Functional bowel syndromes are a group of digestive disorders characterized by abnormal gut function and often pain or discomfort. They occur in the absence of structural or biochemical abnormalities (nobody can "find" anything wrong). Various conditions exist under this heading and they're defined by their clinical features. IBS is one of these functional disorders.Glad you're feeling better!

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2014 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here