5 replies to this topic

#1 mdevault

mdevault

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 09:42 PM

Advertisement
Right now my BMs tend to be quite mushy, more or less resembling a pile of mud. This is a problem because these stools are messy and hard to contain. I'd like to be able to have the firmer, more tubular-type movements. I'm about a 5-6 on the Bristol Stool Scale right now, but I'm aiming for 2-4. Anyone have any success in doing this?

Advertisement

#2 overitnow

overitnow

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,019 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 10:03 PM

What I called IBS-M(ud) was a phase I went through during my recovery from 10 years of all-out D. I used a flavonoid extract with anti-inflammatory values and eventually the inflammation that was causing that retreated to the one piece tubular soft bm, with incomplete evacuation stage. That was treatable with a good fiber powder. If there is anything in your past that might link to inflammation--use Google to see if their are links--then the flavonoids would probably be worth a trial.Mark
My story of beating IBS and my other chronic conditions: http://www.ibsgroup....total-wellness/

#3 BQ

BQ

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14,197 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 12:34 AM

And/Or try calcium carbonate supplements. See Linda's Calcium Thread thumbtacked to the top of this forum for more info.
Please remember this is a group of folks seeking support on how to live with and manage IBS. THESE ARE ONLY MY OWN THOUGHTS. IF YOU WANT AN EXPERT OPINION, ASK A MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL.

#4 mdevault

mdevault

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 12:39 AM

What I called IBS-M(ud) was a phase I went through during my recovery from 10 years of all-out D. I used a flavonoid extract with anti-inflammatory values and eventually the inflammation that was causing that retreated to the one piece tubular soft bm, with incomplete evacuation stage. That was treatable with a good fiber powder. If there is anything in your past that might link to inflammation--use Google to see if their are links--then the flavonoids would probably be worth a trial.Mark

That's interesting, I too suffered for many years with absolutely awful explosive diarrhea, which has now turned into this not quite as awful but still bad mud stuff, which strangely enough despite its soft consistency often requires pushing and feels incompletely evacuated, making me feel as though I'm in some kind of transition stage between IBS-D and IBS-C. I wonder if this is a common course with IBS? I'll look into the flavonoid and D supplements.

#5 mdevault

mdevault

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 12:42 AM

Oops, meant calcium not D. Must have been thinking how they say calcium and vitamin D go together.

#6 TVgirl

TVgirl

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 699 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 02:57 AM

Have you tried metamucil to add bulk?? some people think metamucil is just for constipation but it actually helps those with diarrhea too. It is forms more bulk to the stool and it is totally worth a try. But start slow then work your way up till your body gets used to it.

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2014 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here