Metamucil vs. Fibersmart

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_gaba_*

Guest_gaba_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2000 - 05:48 PM

Advertisement
This is my first topic. Just want you all to know how much I appreciate all the helpful information I have received in the last month or so since I found this website. I have added fiber to my diet, also lots of water and the chamomile/peppermint tea. All have helped. I started out on Metamucil and have had positive results with it. I don't know that much about the different kinds of fiber, but know Metamucil is psyllium. Then I heard about Fibersmart on this website and have tried it for a couple of days. I don't know if switching to a different fiber can just initially cause more gas, and maybe I should give it a little more time, but it seems to have had that effect. The guy at the health food store seemed to think the flax fiber was healthier for your colon. Does anyone know if taking a fiber supplement longterm can damage your colon or not, or what kind is best for the colon? Or anyone switched from Metamucil to Fibersmart with negative results? From all I've learned here is that what works for some doesn't for others. Most of my symptoms are gas, stomach rumbles and bloating.

Advertisement

#2 JeanG

JeanG

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,922 posts

Posted 05 February 2000 - 11:36 PM

Hi Gaba:Taking a fiber supplement long term should not harm you. I use FiberSmart myself, rather than Metamucil since I can't tolerate psyllum. You could have a different reaction to the FiberSmart since it has flax and other ingredients in it. I'd say try it for a little bit longer, and if the gas, etc. still continues switch back to the Metamucil and see how you do on it.Good luck! Jean------------------"Never let the fear of striking out get in your way." Babe Ruth. And I'm also Praying with Bettie for a cure for this NASTY IBS! Jean
*** Seeking accurate information in the fight against IBS ***

#3 Guest_Cher_*

Guest_Cher_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 February 2000 - 05:09 PM

i have not tried fiber smart yet, though i have seen it a few times and am interested in the product. i'd be interested to hear anyone else's thoughts about it, too. i think, gaba, any fiber product initially has the potential to cause bloating and gas...start with a little and add SLOWLY until you find the right dose for you.

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2014 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here