#1 faze action

faze action

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 07:26 AM

Advertisement
Apologies in advance because this may be TMI, but over the last year or so (but much more frequently as of late) I have noticed that my stool has a very strange odor. It's hard to describe, but it is almost like a chemical smell, and it seems to be regardless of what I eat. I tend to notice it more when my stool is more abnormal (soft/sticky), and this has been happening a lot lately. Does anyone else have this?

Advertisement

#2 searching4answers

searching4answers

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 12:57 PM

Is this soft/sticky stool light in color or popcorn sized? does the odor almost smell like those soft pretzels u buy at the mall?

#3 faze action

faze action

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 03:02 PM

Is this soft/sticky stool light in color or popcorn sized? does the odor almost smell like those soft pretzels u buy at the mall?

Actually, neither. The stool tends to be darker in color and the size of a normal movement, but softer/less-formed and sticky. The odor is not like anything food or body-related that I've ever smelled. It smells more like an industrial chemical or dye (I know that's a vague description). The only other thing Ive smelled that is remotely similar was the dye used to color a pair of blue jeans I used to own (at least I assume it was the dye). They smelled almost the same, except the smell was much weaker on the jeans.Incidentally, this has been happening less since my last course of antibiotics, so it may have been related to the bacterial overgrowth (although I'm still having symptoms, so go figure).

#4 mommyofbandits

mommyofbandits

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 10:05 AM

Depending on what kind of stool I have, mine can have a weird chemical smell. My smell almost exactly like hair coloring product when they smell funny. I have absolutely no clue what this means though.

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2014 All rights reserved IBS Self Help and Support Group

Website Monitoring by: AlertBot

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here