#1 LoriAnn

LoriAnn

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 18 January 2003 - 06:30 PM

Advertisement
Hi everyone,I have been told I have IBS-d. I'm a bit confused, I was told the average age for onset of IBS was 20-30. But I had my first upper and lower GI when I was 2 due to this problem, and have continued to get them at various points throughout my life. I am now 37 and the problems grow worse with each passing year. I had also read that for many people, they go into a type of remission or the problem may eventually go away.Has any 2 year old ever been diagnosed with IBS? If stress is a leading factor, how can a two year old be that stressed?Did anyone else here begin to experience symptoms young?Thanks in advance for the responsesLori

Advertisement

#2 Ronnie_S

Ronnie_S

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 18 January 2003 - 07:00 PM

Yes, onset can be very young; mine was 12 years old. My GI doctor ran a DNA test that gave the approx. time of onset for these problems along with that test it found markers for IBD. What were your feelings in your stomach/location, did your family just think you were allergic to milk and gave you Tums or some odd combination? Posted Image

#3 shadow

shadow

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 18 January 2003 - 07:42 PM

I was 22, but I've seen people post here with all kinds of ages -- from very young to close to middle age I think.

#4 Bada Shanren

Bada Shanren

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,767 posts

Posted 18 January 2003 - 07:53 PM

there are many kinds of IBS - it's a syndrome, not a disease. But I've never heard of a DNA test for it. Can you give some more information about this, Ronnie?tom
I am a licensed clinical psychologist so take what I say with a grain of salt.

If there's a problem I am licensed in the State of Tennessee.

I am also a poet and I suffer from IBS so sometimes my opinions come from there.
My opinions should be seen as no more correct than any other person's opinions who has IBS, like you.

#5 Ronnie_S

Ronnie_S

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 18 January 2003 - 08:17 PM

theres a company in califorina that tests DNA and i dont have the info in front of me, i know there was 5-7 differnt tests for my blood and the whole thin was like 600 dollars. is right 98.2% of the time.when i get home i will forward you the infomation

#6 Integrity

Integrity

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 18 January 2003 - 08:29 PM

I was 14. I'm 22 now.My father and brother have Ulcerative Colitis, and the statistics for that show two major age curves, though one can develop the disease outside of those times; either in one's teenage years, or mid-30s. This fits my family, as my brother's started when he was 14 and my father's started when he was 35.

#7 Ronnie_S

Ronnie_S

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 18 January 2003 - 08:35 PM

its horrable... my parents thought i was making it all up that if anything i was allergic to milk... little did they know they were making me suffer.. i am now 21 years old this happened when i was around 10-12

#8 vknight226

vknight226

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 18 January 2003 - 11:55 PM

I can remember having problems at a very young age. My Mom used to give me enimas all the time. I had to have a GI when I was rather young too. I have always had a problem with C no other symptoms until 2 years ago when I started having D. Now I am a real mess, and no one has an answer yet. I think mine may be inpart to thyroid.

#9 hmmmmmmmm

hmmmmmmmm

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 19 January 2003 - 10:47 AM

Mine started at 48 when I gave up amoking and my doctor felt it was caused by the stress of ceasing...Anyway thanks to this BB I have it 90% under control from various remedies and suggestions...Just recently I took care of my sister through a terminal illness and her death and it did come back but I am confident after I calm down and go back on my tried and true remedies..caltrate+D, ground flaxseed in acidophilous yogurt and oli of oregano/oregamax I will once again lick it plus I had found the high protein lo carb diet was instrmental in keepong it at bay and I had gone off of that..Of course this was a lot more then you asked for...Anyway I was 48 when it started am 64 now....

#10 LoriAnn

LoriAnn

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 19 January 2003 - 01:19 PM

Thanks for the repliesI don't recall my parents doing anything about it really, I avoided dairy for the most part, but that didn't help much. I don't even recall being given tums. By the time I was 15 I realized everyone in the family had bowel/digestive problems, at some point i decided it was normal and that everyone lived like that. We all just suffered through it, underwent various tests and suffered more. As time went by gastroparesis became a more and more common ailment, resulting in several relatives having their stomach removed. I found at a family reunion 3 years ago that nearly every blood relative suffered some type of bowel problem, next reunion I am sure they will triple the porta-potties they had last time.This condition sucks.Lori

#11 shaun m gibson

shaun m gibson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 20 January 2003 - 05:21 AM

i was 24 when this started to me.but i have heard of hitting as young as early teens.

#12 freshsandwiches

freshsandwiches

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 20 January 2003 - 09:34 AM

I was 16 when it started to bother me. Bit of a mixed bag really. I find it's stress that brings it on. I'm a bit nervous in general. As I've got older I've became a bit more confident and my symptoms aren't as bad now.Not sure what the guy was on about with his 2yr old and DNA testing however.

#13 freshsandwiches

freshsandwiches

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 20 January 2003 - 09:36 AM

edit: 12yr old

#14 Tinkerhell

Tinkerhell

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 20 January 2003 - 09:41 AM

Im 21 now, it all started in elementary school somewhere around 9-12 years old. Posted Image

#15 Sabriel

Sabriel

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 21 January 2003 - 01:25 AM

As far as I know there really isn't an age 'standard' for development of IBS. Most commonly it seems to start in the teens or early 20's but children and older people can and do get it too.I think they only worry if you start to get sudden symptoms after age 40 as it is possible it can be due to something worse than IBS.However, if you have tests to rule out other things then I think it can start at just about from 2 to 102.For me I think it started in my early teens.I also have a family history of digestive problems including ulcers, reflux and gallbladder all of which I have or have had too.I think, maybe if your are genetically prone to digestive problems you have an increased chance of IBS too. (my gallbladder surgeon also said that if you develop one type of digestive problem you are more likely to develop others).My mother thinks my grandfather (her father) may have had IBS too, but of course way back then (he died in the 1950's) there probably was not as much available in the way of diagnosis and treatment so he probably never had an official diagnosis of it.Cheers, hope you are doing ok.

#16 StressedOut

StressedOut

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 21 January 2003 - 11:24 AM

I was 20 when mine just started one day and never stopped. Posted Image

#17 Rowe2

Rowe2

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,749 posts

Posted 21 January 2003 - 12:15 PM

My first experience I can recall is around the age of 7. My mother said I cried a lot as an infant, and the doctor told her I had colic, so I figure basically I Posted Image was born with it. I am now 50. I suffered for years with IBS C&D. Miserable all the time. In 1996, I was put on an anti-depressant and the IBS symptons/pain lessened dramatically. I also come from a family that has suffered with stomach disorders on my father's side. Posted Image

#18 LML

LML

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 21 January 2003 - 04:28 PM

Mine started when I was 60. There go the "golden years!"

#19 alongtin

alongtin

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 22 January 2003 - 02:01 AM

I was 13, I'm 24 now. It really kicked into high gear, though when I was 22.Amy

#20 Bewitched

Bewitched

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 22 January 2003 - 12:44 PM

I have had problems since birth,but was not diagnosed until age 11 when the onset of puberty made things much worse.I am now 33 and mostly homebound due to IBS.I though it would get better with age Posted Image

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2014 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here