10 replies to this topic

#1 Sid

Sid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 04:35 AM

Advertisement
Morning guys (and gals),Before I start, I have been diagnosed with Health Anxiety so it could be this that is causing my mind to go wild! I would appreciate everyones thoughts though and am not here to waste anyones time.Around 10-14 days ago, I developed a very very faint pain in my abdomen. It feels like is is around two inches under my right rib so around my large intestine/colon. As I said it is very faint and only noticable at some times, not all the time. It is also a little tender to touch but then I have to push my abdomen in 3/4 inches to feel anything.I do not have any blood in my stool, that I can see, and I have already been to the Doctor. He had a feel about my abdomen but couldn't feel anything. He did however take some blood, the results of which I should receive back on Friday, if not Monday.I weighed 216lbs 4/5 weeks ago but have been on a new diet and hitting the gym 4 days a week. I am now down to 206lbs which is great!So, could my diet be affecting my abdomen? How many times is normal to have a Bowel Movement? Could this be something worse? If my blood results come back negative/normal should I just get on with things? If it was more serious I assume I'd be in constant pain?Sorry for all the questions peeps. Just a worried 29 year old thats wants to stay on this great planet for the next 60 years+! :o)Oh one other thing, my Bowel Movements are a little loose but seem to be going regulary and stuff.Cheers,Sid.PS - I have lower back pain too but suffer from sciatica. Could this be causing the abdominal pain? Thanks

Advertisement

#2 emmaw

emmaw

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 05:24 AM

Hi your not in this situation alone. I also get right handed pain and worry that it is something worse. I too woory about my health and think it is worse than it is, I have been for blood tests twice and always come back fine but still not convinced. My bowel movements vary also sometimes loose, sometimes pellety and sometimes normal but then other days can have a bout of diarrohea followed by constipation. I also get pain around my naval and find some foods irritate my bowel.

#3 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34,902 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 07:30 AM

Diet can effect the GI tract.The bends in the colon under the left and right ribs tend to be trouble spots (have to get things around the curve seems more troublesome than along the straightaways.Normal BM frequency is 3X a day to 3X a week.Most of the something worse on the right side under the ribs is not slight pain. It is severe can't move pain for 6 hours or more without let up. (gall bladder issues, that isn't constant pain, but it is much worse than what you seem to be describing)A little loose usually isn't a big issue, and can happen in normal people with diet, some foods (or diets, like how much fat you eat, etc) tend to loosen stools.Sometimes pain in one area will radiate or set of pain in other areas you might not otherwise notice. It's the misery loves company theory of some of the things that the nervous system can do with pain signals.For the most part the biggest scary thing (cancer) is much less likely to cause symptoms while you are still generally healthy than most other things (like IBS which always causes symptoms and you seem to be on the mild end of that and depending on how often you have symptoms may just be within normal issues any healthy person can have, if you have at least 7 days of symptoms every month for 6 months then it is IBS, anyone can have a few symptoms like IBS every so often, it is when they don't go away on their own in a fairly short period of time they see it as abnormal).The bad news is that makes it unlikely you find it early (so get age appropriate screenings, and colon cancer screenings start at 50) but also means most things that are causing symptoms are not going to be cancer. Cancer starts causing problems near the end and by then you wouldn't likely be healthy enough to go to the gym and be active like that as once it gets big enough to cause pain, it also is big enough to effect how your body works.Assuming the doc did the usual standard blood tests that should rule most anything that might be worse out that isn't extremely painful.
My story of beating IBS: My Story with IBS
Ph.D in Biology

#4 Sid

Sid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 09:17 AM

Diet can effect the GI tract.The bends in the colon under the left and right ribs tend to be trouble spots (have to get things around the curve seems more troublesome than along the straightaways.Normal BM frequency is 3X a day to 3X a week.Most of the something worse on the right side under the ribs is not slight pain. It is severe can't move pain for 6 hours or more without let up. (gall bladder issues, that isn't constant pain, but it is much worse than what you seem to be describing)A little loose usually isn't a big issue, and can happen in normal people with diet, some foods (or diets, like how much fat you eat, etc) tend to loosen stools.Sometimes pain in one area will radiate or set of pain in other areas you might not otherwise notice. It's the misery loves company theory of some of the things that the nervous system can do with pain signals.For the most part the biggest scary thing (cancer) is much less likely to cause symptoms while you are still generally healthy than most other things (like IBS which always causes symptoms and you seem to be on the mild end of that and depending on how often you have symptoms may just be within normal issues any healthy person can have, if you have at least 7 days of symptoms every month for 6 months then it is IBS, anyone can have a few symptoms like IBS every so often, it is when they don't go away on their own in a fairly short period of time they see it as abnormal).The bad news is that makes it unlikely you find it early (so get age appropriate screenings, and colon cancer screenings start at 50) but also means most things that are causing symptoms are not going to be cancer. Cancer starts causing problems near the end and by then you wouldn't likely be healthy enough to go to the gym and be active like that as once it gets big enough to cause pain, it also is big enough to effect how your body works.Assuming the doc did the usual standard blood tests that should rule most anything that might be worse out that isn't extremely painful.

So pretty much just a case of waiting on the Doctor giving me the all clear??? Well HOPEFULLY giving me the all clear!?!My Fiance has IBS and she thinks my symptoms are similar to hers, I suppose I just want more re-assurance that thats all it is.I'm currently 2/3 stone overweight and as my first post said, trying to change my diet aswell as run 5k four days a week. I also play at least 18 holes of golf a week and referee football at least twice.Am I worrying about nothing!?!?!?! Health Anxiety is sooo rubbish, if it's not cancer it's something else!!!Thanks for your replies so far,Sid.PS - Doctor took blood and is going to check my Blood Count, Gloucose & Liver. Bog standard tests I assume???

#5 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34,902 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 05:03 PM

Yep, those are the pretty standard tests that tend to do something when health is really off.Unfortunately sometimes the anxiety about health can be pretty bad on the making you miserable scale. Try to just wait out the tests and assume something very common and relatively harmless like IBS (although when severe it can be miserable, it just won't kill you or shorten your life) than something exotic or deadly.
Ph.D in Biology

#6 Sid

Sid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 04:19 AM

Yep, those are the pretty standard tests that tend to do something when health is really off.Unfortunately sometimes the anxiety about health can be pretty bad on the making you miserable scale. Try to just wait out the tests and assume something very common and relatively harmless like IBS (although when severe it can be miserable, it just won't kill you or shorten your life) than something exotic or deadly.

Morning all, due to get my results in a few hours, fingers crossed!One other symptom this morning, when urinating after getting out of bed, my abdomen was painful when I was straining/pushing any last bit of urine out. I'm 99.9% sure this will have nothing to do with my bowel/colon, am I correct? If so, what could it now be?Thanks to all once more,Craig.

#7 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34,902 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 07:12 AM

Well if you activated your abdominal wall at all while straining, it could be that it pushed on the colon (as that does squeeze all the organs in there).When my colon is tender anything that makes me tighten my abdominal muscles push on the colon and make it hurt.I am assuming you weren't straining hard enough to make the abdominal muscles themselves hurt (or didn't do too many sit ups or other abdominal exercise yesterday, you can exercise them to the point they hurt when you tighten them up if you work at it).
Ph.D in Biology

#8 Sid

Sid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 08:08 AM

Well got my results back:-Liver - NormalKidneys - NormalESG - NormalGlucose - NormalFor some reason they either couldn't test or lost my Red & White Blood Count results!?! The NHS - GREAT!!! :rolleyes: Anyway, I felt like it was clearing up a bit, woke up yesterday morning fine & dandy... Had a catholic family funeral with my other half which normally last a good two hours so when urinating I strained again at the end to push/make sure everything was out (sorry if too graphic). This was when I felt the pain I had been feeling. What could this be!?!?!?!No pain when passing stools, stools look fine, no blood and no pain if I stretch my stomach/abdomen!?!I'm at my wits end now!!!Thanks,Sid.

#9 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34,902 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 09:59 AM

straining isn't good for you for either bladder or bowel movements.If you strain to the point of hurting yourself, don't strain. You could possibly cause a hernia or hurt the muscles of the abdomen by being too enthusiastic with straining to get every last drop out. Whatever comes out from relaxing alone should be plenty.
Ph.D in Biology

#10 Sid

Sid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 10:45 AM

straining isn't good for you for either bladder or bowel movements.If you strain to the point of hurting yourself, don't strain. You could possibly cause a hernia or hurt the muscles of the abdomen by being too enthusiastic with straining to get every last drop out. Whatever comes out from relaxing alone should be plenty.

Thanks once more Kathleen.If it is indeed a muscle, how can I rest it!?! Apart from stopping straining it's not going to be easy is it!?! Ibuprofen maybe help???Cheers,Sid.

#11 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34,902 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 11:51 AM

If it is not bothering you at other times I'd stick with trying to break the straining habit (which isn't always easy, changing habits never is).You could see if you tolerate ibuprofen or Tylenol if it is bothersome at other times. Some people with IBS find ibuprofen bothers them.
Ph.D in Biology

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2014 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here