11 replies to this topic

#1 Helen007

Helen007

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 09:14 AM

Advertisement
Hi everyone,I am new to these forums but was diagnosed with IBS 6 years ago. The first bout lasted 9 months , then I had a few years pain free. The second bout lasted 7 months & then after 18months the 3rd flare up came on 4 weeks ago.I'm in exteme pain on the left lower side & sometimes upper middle. I feel bloated a lot of the time as well. The pain is there virtually 24/7 (except when I'm asleep!) & feels as though I've got a weight in my lower left carrying around; it hurts more when I've been standing or walking & can be excruitiating. I also find if I lift anything even around 2kg it hurts more.This flare up is very similar to the other two but, I'm still worried its not the IBS but something serious. My GP doesn't even look for anything else as I've got IBS on my records. Although, I suffer from constipation its not the case at present as I take Movicol & "go regulary".Has anyone had a pain like this? If so what did you do to get rid of it? I already take nortripyline (20mg). The antispasmodics don't work (Colofac & Buscopan). I can't take pain killers due to constipation.My GP suggested hypnotherapy but I can't see how this will help the intense pain & at 40 a session I can't afford it. I had to give up work due to the pain.Please help, I'm at my wits end with the pain. Others I know with IBS has the pain for an hour & then it goes for weeks mines continuous!Thanks for replies.

Advertisement

#2 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34,799 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 11:22 AM

I had extreme pain exactly like that and Cognitive Behavioral Therapy really made a huge difference, so don't rule out the possibility that feedback from your mind/brain might help turn the volume down on inappropriate pain signals (and I had the walking and not being able to lift anything exactly like you describe, but just a bit on the loose side of normal and it was "just" IBS).It may also mean needing to switch antidepressants or try a higher dose. For the tricyclics the dose for IBS can go as high as 75 mgs (usually 150 mgs is the start of the dose with those for depression) See what your doctor says. You might, with the constipation, want to see if Zoloft (an SSRI) helps for the pain as it tends to loosen stools up.
My story of beating IBS: My Story with IBS
Ph.D in Biology

#3 kenny1989

kenny1989

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 03:59 PM

Im going therw the same thing this post makes me fell better knowing im not the only one iv had ibs for about 3 years started when i was 18-19 it seems with each flare up it gets wores i have a appomint on thursday just wanted to let you know your not the only one dwealing with the lower left pain

#4 ChrissyLynn

ChrissyLynn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 05:49 PM

Sorry what you are going threw but just know you are not alone. When I get flare ups I have pain as well, I am having one right now and sharp pains come every 10-15 minutes, thankfully Tylenol helps with the pain

#5 JCEBV

JCEBV

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 06:47 AM

My flares seem to be like yours in that they come on, the pain is unrelenting for months and then resolves completely. Each time I get a full workup and each time (thankfully) nothing is found. I am in the middle of another evaluation now and my next test is a gastroscopy.Good luck

#6 Helen007

Helen007

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 08:37 AM

Thank you all for your replies. It certainly helps to know you are not alone with this horrible illness. Kathleen: I'm seeing my own GP whos been on holiday soon & will see if she can increase or change the nortriptyline. I contacted a local hpnotherapist who asked me identify "What or who is triggering my attacks" , well if I knew that I could avoid it!! Do you know why it feels worse standing/walking? I'm afraid to go out as its so uncomfortable I'm scared of passing out.JCEBV: Like you I usually have the full round of tests each time I get a flare up, but, this time they're not bothering. I had a gastroscopy almost 2 years ago & that showed up the H Pylori bug. Thankfully after 3 horrible treatments that was cured. Good luck with your gastro.Kenny & Chrissy Lyn: Thanks for your replies. Hope you feel better soon.

#7 BQ

BQ

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14,126 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 11:48 AM

Helen there is a great IBS specific program of hypnotherapy that you can do in your own home! It is called the IBS Audiprogram 100. I did this and it gave me my life back. I had debillitating pain and this worked better than narcotics!See our CBT/Hypnotherapy for more info.
Please remember this is a group of folks seeking support on how to live with and manage IBS. THESE ARE ONLY MY OWN THOUGHTS. IF YOU WANT AN EXPERT OPINION, ASK A MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL.

#8 Helen007

Helen007

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 12:31 PM

Thanks BQ I will read up on it. I'm not sure about being able to do this at home as I'm a dreadful "mind wanderer"!! I had a very highly recommended relaxation CD (for migraines) but, everytime I put it on I'd concertrate for a few minutes then I'd be semi listening & also planning our meals, working out rearranging the furniture etc etc!Thanks for your suggestion though I really appreciate it.Helen

#9 cookies4marilyn

cookies4marilyn

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,520 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 12:39 AM

Hi HelenI also did the IBS Audio Program - and it really helps my pain - even pain from other sources. My mind wanders too - after awhile, you just sort of tune that out and go with it - though if you dont think it will help, then hold off - everyone has to find their own way... I didnt think it would help me either, but when I have pain, after listening to the session regarding pain, my pain is GONE!!But one good thing about this program, is that all of the 7 tracks and 5 sessions cost only about 65 and includes free support if you need it - and no travel, no appointments to keep, etc. And it is from England. If you are fed up with nothing else working, it is worth a try, but only if you are ready - it really helps in that you can cut down on pain meds too.All the best to you no matter what you decide! :) Take a peek at the links below for more info if you wish.
~ Marilyn, MS, CCC-SLP

Moderator of the Cognitive Therapy and Clinical Hypnotherapy Forum

Video Explaining the Brain-Gut Connection

My IBS Journey ~ What Helped My Severe IBS

"The LORD is close to the brokenhearted; he rescues those who are crushed in spirit." ~ Psalm 34:18

#10 Sally6

Sally6

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 05:30 PM

I could have wrote your post Helen, in fact I thought it was mine that I wrote a few days ago, I had to take a double take, everything wrote is my symptoms, 24 hour pain, only time pain free seems to be when I am asleep, mine too started years ago lasted for months then just went away, and as now come back, had scan blood tests and having the camera up bottom on the 15th, had same tests done years ago, just glad I am not alone, just so sick of being in pain, which can be gnawing, griping or stabbing pain which seems to alternate between lower pelvic area to middle of stomach, along with back ache, have tried medication from docs, but nothing works, and no matter what foods I eat makes no difference, so yes there is others with same as yourself, this time it as been going on since end nov, and no signs of going away, my last bout lasted nine months same as you,

#11 Dr Dani MD

Dr Dani MD

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 11:34 PM

Have you been tested for endometriosis by your doc? This disease can also cause this specific and severe symptom!Hope this helps,Dr. Dani

Hi everyone,I am new to these forums but was diagnosed with IBS 6 years ago. The first bout lasted 9 months , then I had a few years pain free. The second bout lasted 7 months & then after 18months the 3rd flare up came on 4 weeks ago.I'm in exteme pain on the left lower side & sometimes upper middle. I feel bloated a lot of the time as well. The pain is there virtually 24/7 (except when I'm asleep!) & feels as though I've got a weight in my lower left carrying around; it hurts more when I've been standing or walking & can be excruitiating. I also find if I lift anything even around 2kg it hurts more.This flare up is very similar to the other two but, I'm still worried its not the IBS but something serious. My GP doesn't even look for anything else as I've got IBS on my records. Although, I suffer from constipation its not the case at present as I take Movicol & "go regulary".Has anyone had a pain like this? If so what did you do to get rid of it? I already take nortripyline (20mg). The antispasmodics don't work (Colofac & Buscopan). I can't take pain killers due to constipation.My GP suggested hypnotherapy but I can't see how this will help the intense pain & at £40 a session I can't afford it. I had to give up work due to the pain.Please help, I'm at my wits end with the pain. Others I know with IBS has the pain for an hour & then it goes for weeks mines continuous!Thanks for replies.

#12 peely

peely

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 11:14 AM

I've had continous 24/7 pain in my lower right groin/pelvis area for several months - since changing diet and more exercise all my other symptoms have disapeared, but the pain has got worse - so I'm in same situation as you - is this ibs or not? - the docs seem to think so, as every test ive had comes back clear, but would they think the same way If I had presented just with the pain and no other IBS symptoms?

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2014 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here