6 replies to this topic

#1 magso

magso

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 02:30 PM

Advertisement
Hi, can anyone tell me please if IBS can make you feel so ill you just want to curl up in bed and stay there? I was diagnosed back in the early 90īs and have not really had any problems until the past couple of years or so. Now I get stomach pain, headaches, nausea, constipation, bloating, aches and pains in my joints, light headedness, you name it I seem to get it. Today has been particularly bad, I just feel so ill. I have seen a consultant with a gall bladder problem (polyps) but he has refused to take it out because he thinks the symptoms I have could be due to a food intollerance of some kind. I have had bloods done and get my results tomorrow, I am also waiting for a further scan on my gall bladder. Because I have not really had an IBS problems for so many years what I am asking is are these normal symptoms for IBS. I can feel fine then all of a sudden out of the blue these symptoms start and it really makes me feel ill. I have started to keep a food diary but nothing seems to stand out. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Advertisement

#2 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34,911 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 02:36 PM

IBS can be very severe. With the headaches, joint issues and lightheadedness you might need to find out if you have other conditions as well as IBS. Often when one condition flares up the stress of that illness makes everything else flare up as well, so even if it happens all together there may be something else going on that may need different treatment than you would with "just" IBS.Abdominal pain, bloating, stool changes are all the typical symptoms of IBS, and those by themselves can make you want curl up in bed even without anything else..
My story of beating IBS: My Story with IBS
Ph.D in Biology

#3 magso

magso

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 02:52 PM

IBS can be very severe. With the headaches, joint issues and lightheadedness you might need to find out if you have other conditions as well as IBS. Often when one condition flares up the stress of that illness makes everything else flare up as well, so even if it happens all together there may be something else going on that may need different treatment than you would with "just" IBS.Abdominal pain, bloating, stool changes are all the typical symptoms of IBS, and those by themselves can make you want curl up in bed even without anything else..

Thanks for the reply Kathleen, like I said, itīs been so long since iīve had any real symptoms I think iīve forgotten what to expect. I have wondered if it coule be Celiac what with the joint pain as well. It will be interesting to see if my blood results show up any food Intollerance - iīm hoping it does really at least it could be a start to getting myself īnormalīagain.

#4 BQ

BQ

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14,377 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 10:31 PM

There is a test for Celiac's but you must be eating gluten/wheta products for it to be accurate. It is a simple blood test your Dr can do. Ask about it. IMHO Celiac's should always be ruled out.
Please remember this is a group of folks seeking support on how to live with and manage IBS. THESE ARE ONLY MY OWN THOUGHTS. IF YOU WANT AN EXPERT OPINION, ASK A MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL.

#5 magso

magso

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 12:55 PM

There is a test for Celiac's but you must be eating gluten/wheta products for it to be accurate. It is a simple blood test your Dr can do. Ask about it. IMHO Celiac's should always be ruled out.

#6 magso

magso

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 12:59 PM

I have had the blood results back for the food intollerance test that was done and all it has shown up is allergy to Ryegrass! Donīt think that really helps me as nothing showed up for food intollerance. I still have the bloating, gas etc I really feel like iīm fighting a loosing battle, I just want to know if it is the IBS plauing up LOTS or if it could be the gall bladder thats causing the problems :-(

#7 Leey2000k

Leey2000k

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 06:37 PM

Hi, Well all the symptoms you mentioned - I get. I too !re trying to find out what mine really is.Letd hope we find a cure soon:-)

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2014 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here