Advertisement

Photo

Does your stomach always feel kind of "off"?

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 spazzy

spazzy

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 09:30 AM

Advertisement
Hi everyone,Does your stomach just always seem "off?" By that I mean you may not necessarily have pain or cramping in your stomach, but if you pay attention to your stomach, you notice that it just feels sort of "raw" all the time.I can't describe the sensation as painful. It isn't. It's more uncomfortable than painful. On a scale of 1 to 10, the feeling is about a 5 all the time. It's not enough to send me to the doctor or ER, and it's not enough to keep me awake at night. But it's as if my stomach never really "settles down," as if it is never really "at peace," or "at rest."I feel totally inadequate at describing the feeling very well.It's kind of a mild burning, gnawing, raw feeling....but not painfully so.....I don't think it's an ulcer or anything.....(ulcers were ruled out).I just wondered if it is another normal aspect of having IBS.Does anyone have similar feelings?

Advertisement

#2 sallysami

sallysami

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 11:41 AM

i i feel like that all the time even at home. especially when i go out or am at work and definitely at school. its like im on edge cuz my IBS could start up any minute if it wanted. i hate that uneasy feeling. like sometimes you think to yourself that your fine but you think about it again and something just doesn't feel right

#3 spazzy

spazzy

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 02:22 PM

i i feel like that all the time even at home. especially when i go out or am at work and definitely at school. its like im on edge cuz my IBS could start up any minute if it wanted. i hate that uneasy feeling. like sometimes you think to yourself that your fine but you think about it again and something just doesn't feel right

Hi, sallysami....Yes, I know what you mean. Sometimes it feels as if my stomach is anxious all the times. And maybe it is.I wish it would calm down, settle...........I wish I wasn't aware of any sensation there at all.

#4 hasenfuss

hasenfuss

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 08:06 PM

Yes, I have this a lot. Esspecially after just having oen diahria episode. After that I would feel this discomfort for at least one week. A normal person would just be done after the diarrhia but I feel raw and things kind of poke around in there. Hard to describe. It makes me anxious and also puts me in a bad mood. Does this sound like you ?

#5 TeddiBearTodd

TeddiBearTodd

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 11:12 PM

Yes, I always feel discomfort...sometimes it will hurt more after I eat and then go away, but it is always there, kind of like it is nagging at you...Also my ibs seems to flare up especially after exercise, which I am trying to do more off because of my sedentary lifestyle....does that happen to anyone else here?
"We deem those happy who from the experience of life have learnt to bear its ills without being overcome by them."
-Carl Gustav Jung

#6 Kath131

Kath131

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 09:39 AM

Hi everyone,Does your stomach just always seem "off?" By that I mean you may not necessarily have pain or cramping in your stomach, but if you pay attention to your stomach, you notice that it just feels sort of "raw" all the time.I can't describe the sensation as painful. It isn't. It's more uncomfortable than painful. On a scale of 1 to 10, the feeling is about a 5 all the time. It's not enough to send me to the doctor or ER, and it's not enough to keep me awake at night. But it's as if my stomach never really "settles down," as if it is never really "at peace," or "at rest."I feel totally inadequate at describing the feeling very well.It's kind of a mild burning, gnawing, raw feeling....but not painfully so.....I don't think it's an ulcer or anything.....(ulcers were ruled out).I just wondered if it is another normal aspect of having IBS.Does anyone have similar feelings?

Hi Spazzy, At long last......I thought it was just me being paranoid a fellow sufferer. I also have these awful feelings like you in my stomach/bowels most days and it always seems to kick off once I have gone to the toilet first thing in the morning if it is just for a wee. All my muscles feel really tensed and I can actually feel them slowly releasing and relaxing. I once read that your colon goes to sleep and wakes up when you do, well mine loves waking me up in the early hours!It takes about an hour before it settles and I can't get back to sleep. I take Membervine for my IBS but they don't always seem to do the trick. Have tried all the usual medication and none really do the trick. It is a horrible feeling tho' I can only describe it has feeling similar to if you are very nervous about taking an exam say or you've had an emotional upset, (I've been divorced and my stomach felt similar when I was going through the break up)! Like you said it's not painful just uncomfortable and your stomach always feels upset is the only word I can use, so I take pepto bismol cos' I often feel nauseous with it. It feels like my stomach/bowels wake up when my bladder does and I just toss and turn most mornings cos' it's too early to get up. But having said that this morning I was up at 4am cos I just couldn't get back to sleep for my stomach! Had a bad day all round so far today woke up threw up and now I have the famous pain on left side, when back to bed at 7.30am the pain wouldn't subside so I feel weary now roll on bedtime.Anybody any advise on how to cope with this or remedies?Take careKath :(

#7 Champsleeve

Champsleeve

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 08:08 AM

I understand completely! I spend a lot of time trying to explain to my family that my stomach is just "off". It isn't upset or painful or anything that I can really put in words. It just isn't right! I've had some luck with candied ginger and Altoid mints. These help especially if I'm stuck out somewhere and not feeling well. I don't know if they actually do something or if it's all in my head but as long as it works, I don't care!I sometimes wonder if because we have IBS we pay more attention to how our bodies feel in general. Maybe other people have these same issues but they don't really pay attention to them. Sometimes when I'm in a large committee meeting I'll look around and wonder if anyone else is feeling as bad as I am!

#8 sufferingagain

sufferingagain

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 10:45 PM

I'm actually glad to see that I'm not the only one...I was getting worried that they were missing something (even though I still worry anyway!). I can't say I'm in severe pain all the time (though I do go through bouts of severe pain almost daily), but I can say that I almost never feel good. I used to be able to eat a lot more than I can now...now it seems like no matter what I do or eat or how well things are going, my stomach is just not feeling right. Something is always twitching or burning or throbbing...or...whatever!!! It drives me crazy and I just want to feel well...~Anna

#9 Eowyne

Eowyne

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 05:31 AM

God I am so glad we are talking about this!!! Actually its the off feeling that made me go to the doctor in the first place and get diagnosed with IBS. I am in constant discomfort - sometimes incredibly painful cramps, sometimes soreness when I suck my tummy in, sometimes a hollow feeling in my stomach or a full feeling...it's just weird. But I am NEVER feeling normal. I think Champsleeve is right about IBS suffers paying more attention to their bodies. Before I had IBS I never went to the Dr and now I am postively paranoid about the smallest pain. My Dr told me that IBS sufferers are much more paranoid about things like cancer because they cannot reconcile themselves to the fact that so much pain and discomfort is caused by something as simple as IBS. The problem I think is that IBS is defined to simply, if you look up the symptoms of IBS and then come on to a forum like this and see what people are coping with every day they are two completely different stories of what IBS is. Most people look at like I have a disease when I tell them I have IBS and say "What so you've constantly got diarrhea?". Even my boyfriend thought that IBS was something along these lines untill after many many discussions he has more of an idea. What I mean to say is for me IBS its not a case of flare ups it's a case of constant discomfort.

#10 cthesweetie

cthesweetie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 10:51 PM

This most recent flare is almost 4 weeks long, and while I am not always in "pain", I never feel completely well, and long for feeling normal again. I'm almost starting to believe I'll never feel "normal" again. I work in a call center, and it used to be easy to be discreet, but with this flare up lasting so long, people are definately noticing my return trips to the facilities. While I hate to think other people are as miserable as me, it's nice to know there's other's who understand the pain, and long term effects if this illness.

#11 Ros

Ros

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 12:25 PM

AHHHH thank goodness there are other people like me. I have pain predominant IBS.... with a wild random swing of constipation and diarrhoea. I always get that "off" feeling which can become very painful very quickly (and very randomly)I've round Lyrica (Pregabalin) has really helped me. It helps take the edge off.

#12 tanger32au

tanger32au

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 11:57 PM

I also have this problem, 95% of the time I just feel "off". I only get IBS symptoms 1 or 2 times a week so the rest of the time I can't really explain it.Paul

#13 Debs78

Debs78

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 06:56 AM

HiI have suffered from IBS for as long as I can remember. I am 27.In the past 2 years since having a bad lot of gastroenteritis 2 years ago I feel constantly sick. I have nausea nearly every day at some point in the day. I am either constipated or have diaroeah which wakes me up early morning. I have cramps as well.The doctors just say its my IBS which has got worse and said its stress. What I wanted to know, since I am now very desperate and depressed. Can IBS cause nausea? I have had all sorts of tests including an endoscopy which turned back nothing. I cant plan my life any more. Not just with the diareoh but also the nausea.Can IBS cause nausea? alot of the time?Does anyone else have this?Is this what you mean by constant feelings in your stomach? I refer to it as nausea as it makes me feel sick

#14 IBS Girl 08

IBS Girl 08

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 08:25 PM

HiI have suffered from IBS for as long as I can remember. I am 27.In the past 2 years since having a bad lot of gastroenteritis 2 years ago I feel constantly sick. I have nausea nearly every day at some point in the day. I am either constipated or have diaroeah which wakes me up early morning. I have cramps as well.The doctors just say its my IBS which has got worse and said its stress. What I wanted to know, since I am now very desperate and depressed. Can IBS cause nausea? I have had all sorts of tests including an endoscopy which turned back nothing. I cant plan my life any more. Not just with the diareoh but also the nausea.Can IBS cause nausea? alot of the time?Does anyone else have this?Is this what you mean by constant feelings in your stomach? I refer to it as nausea as it makes me feel sick

Hi Deb,I am also 27 and have been suffering from IBS since 2008. I also get nausea from time to time. Normally is doesn't last to long, but yesterday was a particularly bad day with the nausea. I have never actually gotten sick with this feeling. I also refer to it as nausea, but I can definitely relate when someone says they feel off. I feel off a lot lately. I have recently started acupuncture. It has helped amazingly with all my IBS symptoms- diarrhea, nausea, etc. My insurance doesnt cover it but I found a community acupuncture clinic that has affordable costs. Hope this helps :)

#15 BQ

BQ

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14,274 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 06:58 PM

I have had this IBS so long that I think that feeling "off" is kinda normal for me. lol So when I don't feel off..... THAT feels odd. LOL
Please remember this is a group of folks seeking support on how to live with and manage IBS. THESE ARE ONLY MY OWN THOUGHTS. IF YOU WANT AN EXPERT OPINION, ASK A MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL.

#16 hope4serenity

hope4serenity

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 02:13 PM

i am ALWAYS nauseous, and in pain and i never feel 'good' or 'normal' i never throw up tho. i keep asking my doctor 'so this is why im nauseous? why i have constipation/diarrhea? why i have pain?' and he always says this is normal with IBS. i think that IBS is named wrong, i feel something much more than 'irritable' a bug bite is 'irritable'. i feel awful. i am on Zophran under the toung tablets and promethazine pills 3 times a day for nausea, i just bought some candied ginger but havent tried it yet.

#17 shacsher

shacsher

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 01:10 PM

AHHHH thank goodness there are other people like me. I have pain predominant IBS.... with a wild random swing of constipation and diarrhoea. I always get that "off" feeling which can become very painful very quickly (and very randomly)I've round Lyrica (Pregabalin) has really helped me. It helps take the edge off.

I also have pain predominant IBS... with random swing of constipation and diarrhea.I deal with the pain on some sort of level every single day. Trips to the ER at times, but do no good, once they hear you say I have IBS they just send you home.Very frustrating.I also have that Always "off" feeling in my gut as well. It never really seems to go away. Burning upset feeling, almost like your insides are on fire at times.I am also experiencing hot flashes with menopause now and that makes it 10 times worse.I wish Doctors would take this condition seriously and do something about it... the biggest problem is... that Doctors just give you the label of IBS cause they can't findanything else wrong with you. (therefore it must be in our heads right).... I can't stand this anymore.

#18 Diana63

Diana63

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 711 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 02:08 PM

My stomach always feels 'off',i never have a day where there is not some type of symptom going on,its awful all the time!!

#19 jocornishgirl

jocornishgirl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 05:08 PM

Really pleased to have found this post! My stomach never feels 'normal.' Like BQ says, an off stomach is normal for me. The only time I seemed relieved of my ibs was when I was pregnant recently. I didn't seem to get the bad stomachs hardly at all (apart from constipation which is a symptom of pregnancy), but it seems to have come back with a vengance now I've had my little boy! My stomach feels heavy and unsettled all the time. I just want it to feel light and relaxed! I hate IBS! x

#20 katiebabe

katiebabe

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 11:54 AM

Ahhhhhh I have just read all these posts and I feel like everyone combined!!!!For six months now along with lots of other symptoms by stomach feels like this. Like nervous/severly bloated/empty/full/like full of gas and air and often like water sloshing around.... Just constant unpleasantness!!!!I describe it to my family like when you have a sickness bug and often you don't want to be on your feet for long becoz it just gets worse.It gets so bad for me that it starts feeling like someones punching me in the tummy, does anyone know the feeling?Nausea- yes I also have this often,I get bouts of sickness alongside feeling sickly with my stomach- like nothing is digesting properly. It all settles when I sit down and don't move for a while and then starts up again! It feels equally awful if I've just eaten or if I haven't eaten for a while! I can't work it out.It is just so unpleasant rather than painful unless of course I'm trying to walk for longer than 15 minutes or so.Has anyone discovered anything that helps?You kind of think ur imagining it often becoz it can link with that nervous feeling, Its as if we can feel things normal ppl cannot x

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2014 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here