Advertisement

Photo

Poor posture a possible cause of bloating?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 kaj

kaj

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 09 August 1999 - 07:41 PM

Advertisement
Has anyone heard of abdominal bloating caused by lack of abdominal muscle support? Does anyone else have poor posture?kaj

Advertisement

#2 MissyCat

MissyCat

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 09 August 1999 - 07:44 PM

I have terrible posture when I sit, but not when I stand. I try to remember to straighten up, but sometimes it's just so darned easy to slouch!! ------------------"When I find myself fading, I close my eyes and realize my friends are my energy." (anonymous) Missycat

#3 flux

flux

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10,398 posts

Posted 09 August 1999 - 08:10 PM

I recall an old study concluding something about the abdominal muscles not supporting the abdomen, but I wasn't terribly impressed with the study.
I am not a doctor, but utilize sources of information not readily available to the public. Some of this information may contradict what you think you know and some of it may sound harsh, but the information is what it is, and you got it here for free. I am just a messenger. Always consult a real doctor.

#4 Guest_hopp_*

Guest_hopp_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 August 1999 - 08:19 PM

my posture is really bad and i feel a little less bloated when i remember not to slouch, but the bloating happens either way. there are certain postures (yoga techniques) that i know relieve some bloating if anyone is interested in hearing them.[This message has been edited by hopp (edited 08-09-1999).]

#5 kaj

kaj

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 09 August 1999 - 08:34 PM

I would really like to know what the exercises are. One of the reasons I asked this question is that I use to work with a man who was paralyzed from the waist down due to a spinal injury. After about 5 years, he was bloated terribly, so they gave hime an operation to insert a piece of wire mesh to support his organs. I have terrible posture, I slouch all the time. When I straighten myself up, I can only last a few minutes because I am just not use to it. Like Misscat, I mostly due this in the sitting position.I also wonder if the slouching & poor posture is hard on the digestive tract.kaj

#6 Guest_hopp_*

Guest_hopp_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 August 1999 - 08:52 PM

kaj,i'll have to draw you some pictures because it's hard to describe. if i can figure out how to switch to html mode...

#7 Guest_hopp_*

Guest_hopp_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 August 1999 - 09:24 PM

okay here they are: this reverses the distribution of weight, helping stomach muscles relax. if you slouch, this feels good. it's a stomach massage, pushing pressure to different areas to help move it along. after backward bending, forward bending is good to do. doing this but with the knees on the floor. sometimes laying on the floor with the arms up one leg bent out helps push gas out of the colon. it sounds silly, but rolling around on the floor, twisting from side to side works, too.going for long walks is another easy way to relieve bloating.[This message has been edited by hopp (edited 08-09-1999).]

#8 Guest_Sue Poo_*

Guest_Sue Poo_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 August 1999 - 10:06 PM

I've often wondered that. I have horrible posture both when I sit and stand. But I seem to have gas and bloating no matter what position I'm in.

#9 Guest_hopp_*

Guest_hopp_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 August 1999 - 10:13 PM

Sue,maybe it's because of something you eat. there are a lot of food allergies they have not yet discovered. one of my past gastroenterologists told me that people with lactose intolerance were labeled with IBS. when it was discovered that dairy products were one cause of digestive problems, thousands of people were cured.

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2014 All rights reserved IBS Self Help and Support Group

Website Monitoring by: AlertBot

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here