Advertisement

Photo

How does one know which Probiotic to choose?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 woebegone

woebegone

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 07:52 PM

Advertisement
Hello!With all of the different strains of "good bacteria" contained in the various probiotics out there, it's so difficult trying to figure out which one to try. Can anyone enlighten me on what "good bacteria" our intestines need to function properly. Some probiotics..eg Florastor..Saccharomyces boulardii, Culterelle..Lactobacillus GG..many Probiotics have several strains. Are there specific strains to treat specific symptoms? Many of these Probiotics are expensive, some seem to actually make our symptoms worse. I'm sure I'm not alone in trying to figure it all out.I sure would appreciate some help and advice.

Advertisement

#2 peptogirl

peptogirl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 08:25 PM

Hello!With all of the different strains of "good bacteria" contained in the various probiotics out there, it's so difficult trying to figure out which one to try. Can anyone enlighten me on what "good bacteria" our intestines need to function properly. Some probiotics..eg Florastor..Saccharomyces boulardii, Culterelle..Lactobacillus GG..many Probiotics have several strains. Are there specific strains to treat specific symptoms? Many of these Probiotics are expensive, some seem to actually make our symptoms worse. I'm sure I'm not alone in trying to figure it all out.I sure would appreciate some help and advice.

Hi, My primary prescribed Align. After trying others, this one seems to work the best for me. Of course this is just my oppinion, but it seems that we all have simaler needs here so it might work for you as well.Best of luck to you.Pepto Girl

#3 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34,904 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 10:01 PM

It really hasn't been studied down to which strain works for which symptom. They all tend to work in similar ways, but have slightly different interactions with the host.Typically look for a brand that you feel you can trust (either has a good reputation on boards like this or passes independent testing by some place like Consumer Lab) and see how it goes. Sometimes even with the trustworthy brands people find one works better than the other, even when people have the same symptoms.Just depends on your flora you already have and how your system reacts.
My story of beating IBS: My Story with IBS
Ph.D in Biology

#4 woebegone

woebegone

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 08:43 AM

Thank you both for your input, I did find a very interesting comparison by the Kaiser Center for Probiotic Research, they more or less state that one needs different strains for the different "bad" bacteria that can dwell in our intestines. So, I guess I'll keep trying different ones until I hit on the right one for me. Florastor has been my choice for many years with great success but it doesn't seem to be as efficient anymore coming out of a bout of flu with complications which required three courses of antibiotics, things I always shy away from taking but this time I had no choice.

#5 gaiusgracchus

gaiusgracchus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 02:09 AM

Thank you both for your input, I did find a very interesting comparison by the Kaiser Center for Probiotic Research, they more or less state that one needs different strains for the different "bad" bacteria that can dwell in our intestines. So, I guess I'll keep trying different ones until I hit on the right one for me. Florastor has been my choice for many years with great success but it doesn't seem to be as efficient anymore coming out of a bout of flu with complications which required three courses of antibiotics, things I always shy away from taking but this time I had no choice.

The so-called 'Kaiser Center for Probiotic Research' is not really a research center at all -- there is no such 'research' entity and they don't have a center. They have NO relation to Kaiser Permanente or the research division that belongs to Kaiser.What it really is is just a web site that has been paid for by the companies that sell probiotics -- most likely the Benebiotics people. There are fake reviews and a number of web sites that refer back to this same site. Just an FYI on this. Caveat emptor...[We did try Benebiotics -- two of us with serious IBS and we all found the product to do nothing for the symptoms. We went back to VSL because it worked, even though it cost quite a bit more.]

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2014 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here