Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner

I want to start low-fodmap diet but I'm very confused

42K views 38 replies 8 participants last post by  Jennag 
#1 ·
I have been living with IBS my whole life. I am in my thirties and I have tried a few doctors over the years but none of them ever helped. Finally I found this website and I am overwhelmed (in a pleasant way) by all the ideas. I want to try the low-fodmap diet as all my own elimination/trial and error diets never worked. However I am confused regarding fiber. I always felt that eating a lot of fiber would keep me more regular and when I eliminated whole grains ie. whole wheat bread etc. from my diet I felt like I became more constipated and gassy. A gastro I once went to recommended that rather than eat whole grains I should eliminate them and use Benefiber. I tried that for a few days and was miserable. How would I be getting my fiber on the low-fodmap diet? Should I take Benefiber or am I relying on fruits and vegies for fiber? Fruits and vegies have never been enough fiber for me. Is flax okay to use? My second question is if it's not on the suitable list or on the elimination list can it still be eaten or do I need to only eat foods on the suitable list???? so confused.

#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hi J.There are a number of foods you can also eat which aren't on the list.Eat them in moderation, ensuring a balanced diet with variety and try to avoid processed foods.Things not on the list which are allowable include red meat, chicken, fish, (but avoid cured, smoked, minced or processed), eggs, nuts (except pistachio) & seeds.There are many sources of fibre other than wholemeal bread.In fact, if you do suffer from intolerance/malabsorption eating wheat products, wholemeal or not, can constipate you.I'm able to eat all the fibre l need through fruit, vegetables, rice, grains & nuts. I also enjoy steamed spinach or silver beet as an entree to my evening meal twice a week and porridge topped with fruit for weekend breakfast.Many of the green vegetables are high in quality fibre without the glutinous content of wheat which can gum your intestinal walls.Initially I included Normafibe to assist with regularity whilst my gut was normalizing, but I'm now naturally regular as clockwork.I read somewhere once that we need atleast 30grams of fibre per day to ensure regularity.Although wholemeal bread is high in fibre you'll find it in many foods including rice (brown or white), oats (porridge), fruit, vegetables, nuts, & seed.Half a cup of brown rice is equivalent to 2 slices of wholemeal bread in fibre content. If you concentrate on healthy servings of all food groups each day you should end up with a good level of daily fibre.I don't like this part of Benefiber:aspartame**, natural and artificial flavors, sodium citrate, acesulfame potassium, FD &C Red 40, potassium citrate, calcium silicate, magnesium oxideManufactured in a facility that processes milk, soybeans, tree nuts (pistachios), and wheat**Phenylketonurics: Contains PhenylalanineNote:Insoluble fibre, also known as roughage, bulks up the stool and helps speed its way through the gut, therefore it is best for managing constipation, if taken with sufficient fluids. A rich source of insoluble fibre is fibrous vegetables such as carrots, celery and skins of fruit and vegetables, nuts, seeds, and brown rice. Soluble fibre forms a gel in the gut which binds bowel contents together making the stool wetter and bulkier which generally slows down its passage through the gut. It is useful in managing diarrhoea. Sources are peeled fruits and vegetables, barley, oat bran, psyllium, oats, and and peanuts.

#3 ·
This is just in addition to CR's response.Benefiber is made out of wheat dextrin, however it is marked as gluten free because it contains less than 20ppm of gluten, which according to the FDA meets the definition of "gluten-free". Their website states that: "people who experience gluten intolerance should not consume any products, including Benefiber, that contain any level of gluten." Ironic.I've found that Normafibe is a better alternative as benefiber left me feeling uncomfortable and bloated.It is not ideal to take fibre supplements long term, however there are no side-effects from taking Normafibe daily.

#5 ·
CR thank you so much for your reply. After so many years of living with this and being told that there is no real solution it is truly amazing to have a bit of hope. As much as I am hopeful I am also a little scared to try such a restrictive diet. I am a big food fan, but I am also very weight conscious so I tend to eat the same foods regularly to maintain my weight. There are a few foods I eat quite regularly: canned tuna, natural peanut butter and light mayo (in the tuna) which has soy bean oil. Can I continue eating these foods? I wasn't sure if canned tuna was considered too processed and if soybean in form of oil was okay. Another question is why do a lot of posts mention white rice? is there a reason some people on the diet avoid brown rice or is it just preference. Also the list I have doesn't say anything about spices. It mentions herbs but what about salt, peppers, etc. I realize onion powder and garlic powder would be out but paprika, cumin, tumeric? I really want to do this right, but I also want to do it in a way that is maintainable and not where I am just eating steamed chicken all the time. So far today I had oats with agave nectar to flavor it. I am thinking spelt bread with a hard cheese for lunch. Hope I am on the right track. Thank you so much for your help. If this works it will literally change my life.

#7 · (Edited by Moderator)
Kathleen hit the nail on the head when she referred to individuals tolerance.Brown rice has twice the fibre for regularity but I personally find it a little to heavy for my gut.I love white rice and eat it daily.There are a few tasteless gluggy varieties but I stick to quality brands such as Thai premium jasmine and others.Bought in a 25kg sack, it works out very cheaply and lasts for ages.I find it has a delicate nutty taste and when cooked in a rice steamer has excellent consistency.I make up the fibre by eating plenty of rice and refraining from peeling most vegetables.I regularly cook a stir fried chicken with vegetables and cashews served with steamed rice.I marinade the chicken in ginger, black pepper, olive oil, dark soy, and a teaspoon of suctose sugar.When dicing the vegetables (carrots, red capsicum, zucchini, celery, bok choy etc) I leave the skin on.Excellent source of fibre.Tuna is one of the best foods to eat.I have it daily for breakfast with rice (except on weekends when l break to porridge).I love the idea of swimming in omega 3 fatty acids.Great for the heart and over all health.Tuna with soybean oil is fine. Soy is out but its products such as soybean oil, tofu, bean curd, & soy sauce are well tolerated.I personally go for the tuna in olive oil.Paprika, cumin, tumeric, salt, pepper, parsley, mint, basil, are all fine.Mayonnaise is OK but watch for additives.Many brands have gluten added and Mcdonalds add a truckload of sugar.Suitable brands include: Best Foods Mayonnaise, Hellman's Real Mayonnaise, Kraft Original Mayonnaise, Kraft 97% Fat Free Mayonnaise, Heinz Mayonnaise, & S&W Mayonnaise.Perhaps peanut butter not so good.You'll find, once you explore the diet that you will have many options.Don't worry too much about your weight.Work on stabilizing your condition and achieving regularity.Once you have established new eating and toilet habits, then review quantities.I found that regular gymwork with moderate weights, cardio, & stretching which allows me to build moderate muscle mass in place of fat.Terrific for maintaining weight and giving yourself strength and flexibility.The endorphin kick helps with your appetite and overall feeling of well being, something stolen from us due to our symptoms.

#10 ·
So I started the low-fodmap diet in earnest today and my symptoms didn't improve. Is it too early to tell? I am so discouraged. How much time should I give it to see improvement. Plus I am so constipated. I ate spelt bread and two eggs for breakfast-grilled salmon with mayo and basil and an iceberg lettuce and tomato salad with olive oil for lunch. Chicken, quinoa and roasted turnip\parsnip\carrot for dinner and I had three servings of cantelope and a serving of craisins spread throughout the day. Oh and I had a few potato chips that listed potatoes, canola oil and salt in ingredients and a few rice cakes. Did I do anything wrong or am I on the right track and just impatient??

#11 · (Edited by Moderator)
It has been quoted that the effects of onion alone can take up to three weeks to get out of your system.As well as the undigested food matter (FODMAP), there is also the out balance bacteria population which proliferated on this food source and will take to die off.Some say when you have bacteria die back this can also cause symptoms until things settle down.The current flora and function of your gut has developed over a long time.Change won't be overnight and will vary with each individual.It's important not to focus on daily symptoms, but to look at your improvement over the coming weeks.Keep an eye on the constipation.Fecal matter which isn't moving and being eliminated regularly will contribute to your symptoms.Removal of FODMAP over time will alter the bacterial make up which is a major cause of your symptoms.

#20 · (Edited by Moderator)
My sense, since Fodmaps tend to be compounds in the diet that can cause gas (or with the -itols can pull water into the stool), is that an occasional cheat meal would be a day or three of trouble, not weeks on end.Still, I'd err on the side of less when you do decide to cheat rather than a huge amount of a cheat food.I don't think Fodmaps cause long term damage (like you see in celiacs where the lining of the small intestine changes) but it can take awhile for the gut to settle into a new diet. A big change in diet can upset the GI tract in anyone for a few days.Diet sometimes isn't a complete control, so it may not be a 100% solution if you have other triggers that effect your IBS. However for a lot of people even 50% better can mean the difference between something that is annoying vs something that really interferes with functioning.

#21 ·
Thanks Kathleen.You're right. The improvements I am experiencing can eventually help me with work (referring to the times I've been late because I was in the bathroom with a stomach ache) and even with the freedom to do things like going to the movie theater which I hesitate to do now. The changes are still so new so that even the slightest discomfort makes me wary that things will get worse as the day or evening progresses, but I've been finding that it's not getting as bad as it was. This is a huge deal for me. It has been approximately three days in a row now that my stomach pain and gas stopped at a manageable level. I can't even verbalize what this means to me. This after only ten days on the diet and some trial and error as I acclimated. The diet is definitely hard to stick to but it is worth it.

#24 ·
Versions of the same food in the shepherd book found in other countries have different ingredients. Just look at the McDonald's websites for each country- Australian Maccas doesn't have hfcs or as many artificial additives.
That makes a lot of sense. I didn't think of that. Perhaps the Heinz ketchup and the Poweraid only contain those fodmaps in the US.

#23 ·
I would be checking the spelt bread - its related to wheat and yes, may have yeast and preservatives that cause symptoms. Versions of the same food in the shepherd book found in other countries have different ingredients. Just look at the McDonald's websites for each country- Australian Maccas doesn't have hfcs or as many artificial additives.I can't have too much tomato in one setting and I've heard carrots are a sweet vegetable.Regarding weight, I've heard that dieticians recommend not worrying about that until after a certain time of being symptom free.

#27 ·
I had a horrible night last night. Which really depressed me even though I know in the beginning of adhering to the diet this is absolutely normal. I can't figure out if the bad gas was caused by too much corn flakes (about two cups and about five corn cakes) eaten throughout the day, or if raw carrots were the cause. I also wonder if I should maybe avoid gouda cheese, which I have been eating about once a day. However, I have had some good days eating the gouda and yesterday was the first time since starting on the diet that I had so much corn or raw carrots.It's so frustrating trying to figure out the triggers. Having said that still not giving up.I know this is normal and I will persevere (very dramatic, I know)

#29 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hi J.Sorry to read that you had a horrible night.This might be the perfect opportunity to try challenging your system to isolate the trigger.From a stable situation try only one of the three (carrots, gouda, corn flakes) to see if you can isolate the offender.Doing this might isolate a trigger which will allow you to move forward with your allowable foods.The low FODMAP diet allows hard cheese, but only 1 to 2 thin slices, maximum, per day.I personally won't have any cheese, fearing its consequences.Calcium is extremely important to dieters, so for this reason, I'll include such things as lactose free yoghurt, and Caltrate Calcium supplements in my diet.Others on this forum have indicated that slightly cooked carrots are more forgiving to our system than raw.I'll cross my fingers and hope you're able to identify the culprit....Personally, I think it's the Corn Flakes.This is the stated ingredients:Ingredients: MILLED CORN, SUGAR, MALT FLAVORING, HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP, Different western countries will have unique primary food production which ends up in many processed foods.In Australia we have wheat, dairy & cane sugar.In the U.S. corn is a major crop, and finds its way in many processed foods such as corn syrup in Corn Flakes.Australian Corn Flakes will contain cane sugar instead.

#32 ·
I wanted to try Citrucil but I was unsure if all the ingredients were okay on the low-fodmap diet. Did the person who recommended it to you do so with the low-fodmap diet in mind? If so I would love to be able to take it as I have a whole bottle sitting around that I'm scared to use.

#31 ·
Jennag, if you have a sensitivity to gluten, the malt flavoring in the corn flakes might be the culprit (though I agree with Common Response's suggestion about isolating the trigger).Common Response, what is the reason that hard cheeses are so limited? I though they were free of lactose. What else in them might cause problems?

#33 ·
Hi Pixna, I don't think it's the corn flake additives as the corn flakes I'm using are organic and the only ingredients are corn and sea salt. I find organic versions of these type of foods have a minimal of ingredients. I wonder if corn itself can be constipating. Do you know if they are?Unfortunately I haven't isolated the trigger yet. I am feeling much better though overall but I have my days. Maybe the constipation is the problem and I am not eating enough of the right fiber everyday. I noticed that on Saturday when I was a little slack in my fiber intake I had a terrible stomach ache that evening. First I examined what I ate on Saturday but now I wonder if it was more about what I didn't eat. Sometimes I feel like a food detective. Its all conjecture at this point. I still don't know what it is.Thanks,J

#34 ·
Jennag, I think too much of anything could cause C or D, varying from individual to individual. Some people are very corn sensitive. Luckily, I'm not, and corn (in the form of polenta or corn cakes) has been a saving grace for me. But it sounds like you had a LOT of corn and that would probably do me in too. What did you put on the cornflakes and corn cakes?Raw carrots do cause some problems for me, so I usually just have a teeny amount of grated carrot on a salad. Other than that, I have my carrots cooked.Cheese can be extremely constipating (whether or not someone has IBS).I'd suggest cutting all of these out and then, when you're stabilized, adding back cornflakes for a few days to see how you feel. Then cutting them out again and adding back in corn cakes to see how you feel. Then, after a couple of days, stopping that and trying carrots again. Of course, if you feel awful immediately after eating any of these, don't continue eating them. You'll have your answer! I'd also suggest eliminating the cheese completely.In terms of fiber, everyone is so individual. I was taking psyllium supplements for years, and I actually think they were doing more harm than good. While I've been IBS/C and D, I've been mostly D lately (after being mostly C for many years). Since starting the low-FODMAP diet, I've stopped all fiber supplements and am doing better than ever. I still have D, but not as bad as I did before. I do think it's possible to achieve success via diet, without using fiber supplements. But it does take some trial and error, as with anything, and I don't think that fiber supplements are necessarily the answer for everyone.

#35 ·
I might have been eating too much corn in the beginning, but I think I'm down to 1-2 servings a day at this point. Mainly either corn cakes which I have on their own and organic cornflakes which I make into crumbs to coat chicken with. I only eat the carrots cooked now. Perhaps I should cut out the cheese. I would say that right now my questionable foods are cheese, corn, spelt flat breads, oats which I have every morning and occasionally mayonnaise. I should take your advice and start cutting them out and then starting back on them one at a time. The pattern is that usually around 10am I feel bloated. Then I feel mostly better the rest of the day till the late evening. The problem is that most days I start work at 9am, so I can't afford to be bloated and sitting in the rest room at 10. I try to eat breakfast early, at around 7, so that my stomach has time to digest the food and use the restroom before 9 but it doesn't help. I also eat dinner by 6pm, latest 7, so I would think that dinner would have time to digest. I don't really know....Perhaps it's the oats in the morning. CR mentioned that they can be heavy for some. I don't know what else to eat though. I prefer a sweeter breakfast, although I do use only 2-3 teaspoons of sugar as directed. I used to have whole wheat toast and natural peanut butter for breakfast everyday, which is completely not an option now. I don't really like a savory breakfast.Or the worst possible scenario-the dreaded possibility that it's my once daily morning cup of decaf coffee. It's not even caffeinated. Please tell me it's not the coffee. I really don't want to give that up. I drink it black with half a teaspoon of sugar. Although if it is the coffee, I'll do what I need to do.Thanks Pixna. 'Talking' it out really helps. I don't think I could do this diet without this forum.

#36 ·
Hi, Jennag. Here are few additional pointers that might help:1. Peanut butter can cause problems. It's a legume, after all, and a concentrated food. Natural almond butter would be a better choice, but even that should be eaten in moderation because it too is a concentrated food.2. Spelt is a relative of wheat and contains gluten. To get a clearer picture on what is causing your problems, I'd suggest eliminating it completely for now.3. Oats can be very heavy and difficult for some people to digest. That's another food to eliminate, at least for the time being. When you reintroduce it, you might want to have it in smaller portions and only a couple of times a week.4. Coffee is supposed to contain FODMAPS, and I imagine that's true of decaf as well as regular coffee. Also, even decaf contains caffeine and, for me at least, caffeine can really screw up the digestive system.For breakfast, you could try having a banana with a small amount of almond butter for breakfast. Or two corn thins with almond butter and a few currants or raisins on top (very few, but just enough to add some sweetness). What about crisped rice (rice bubbles) with a very small amount of acceptable fruit (such as one or two sliced strawberries or a tablespoon or two of blueberries)? You could also have a fruit smoothie made with one or two strawberries, a piece of pineapple, some acceptable rice milk, a frozen banana, a small spoonful of almond butter, and a small spoonful of maple syrup. You could even add a lettuce leaf or a small amount of spinach -- you won't taste them, but they'll add extra nutrition.Even though cane sugar is low-FODMAP, sugar, like caffeine, can screw up the digestive system.I hope that helps a little. I know how difficult it is to give up favorite foods and find ones that don't cause problems. It's a daily challenge, isn't it?!Hugs,Pixna

#37 ·
I started today with intention of cutting out some of my questionable foods, but it all went horribly wrong.In my effort to get rid of my C, I gave myself D. You would think that when you are C you would welcome a bit of D but that is very much not the case. I was having half a grapefruit for the past several days and then decided yesterday to have a second half later in the day, in addition to THREE whole turnips roasted in extra virgin olive oil. That was a very very bad idea. Way to much turnip and maybe half a grapefruit a day is enough too. I did cut out coffee this morning. I also cut out the oats this morning, but who can tell what's going on now with this D. Instead of coffee I had decaf Nana tea with lemon. It is an herbal tea with spearment leaves, rose hip and lemon and orange peel. I hope that tea is okay. Maybe I should just get a plain tea. A lot going on in these herbal teas. How much almond butter is an acceptable serving? 1 tablespoon?A bit frustrated today, but feeling better than I did before I started, so no complaints.

#38 ·
I'm sorry it isn't going well yet, Jennag. I used to be mostly C, then it was mostly D, and now it's alternating. I know what you mean when you say that D should seem like a relief after C, but it isn't. However, it could be that your system is starting to clear out the debris, so the D may not be a bad thing for a little while.For me, one of the keys is not overdoing any one food. A small amount is far, far better than a large amount, even of something that is (or should be, or seems to be) tolerable. I'm still trying to gauge how much almond butter I can safely have at a time. I would say 1 tablespoon is a good starting point, but less might be better.I've had a recent setback and I'm trying to pinpoint the cause. It's all a bit of a detective game, isn't it?

#39 ·
Pixna, I believe you are right on all counts. The D might just be a result of prolonged C and if I keep up the fiber intake through fruits and veggies without such excesses perhaps I will find a balance. If overdoing any food is a problem that explains why sometimes a food agrees with me and other times it doesn't. I need to be more vigilant with that. And it absolutely is a detective game. But I am feeling so much better than I was before the diet. So I am definitely moving in the right direction. Thanks for your kind words. Good luck solving your mystery.J

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.