168 replies to this topic

#1 1990girl

1990girl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 09:28 PM

Advertisement
Hi, I'm a new member. I don't think I have IBS, at least nothing as bad as some of the people on this board have described, but my bowel and anus have been giving me some gas, no pun intended. Excuse me while I rant.I'm a 20-year-old female, I like to keep clean and fresh and to feel attractive for my own sake, and since last fall I've been having this one main problem: after passing a bowel movement, I can't seem to get clean! I wipe very thoroughly and gently with quality toilet paper, until there appears to be no fecal residue left, and then a little while later I will just have a feeling like I'm not clean. I will check in the bathroom and sure enough, there's brown streaks on the paper! I've been trying everything. I use wet wipes, but they don't help much. Sometimes I wash with a squirt bottle, directly onto the anus, and wipe more and more until I seem clean. This sometimes works, but not right after the bm. If I wash right after, even in the shower, later on I'll feel something and then check and there's even a smell still lingering. I've been on a fiber diet for a while now; started out with Benefiber, but sometimes I'd get constipated. So I switched to fiber capsules (psyllium) and have been going regularly after breakfast. Stools are usually looser, which is okay. However, those rare times when they are well-formed hardly anything is left behind and it's heaven! But what I HATE is when I poo after breakfast and then go for my hour-long power walk in the heat and I sweat heavily and my anus feels really soiled. Sometimes it burns and itches, which is the worst. Other times I have already showered before breakfast and am getting ready to go out when I have to move my bowels, and this ruins the clean fresh feeling my bum had. Am I being OC?? Is this normal or not?? I've been to a doctor and a gastroencologist and both examined my anus, said the sphincter muscle is fine, and simply recommended fiber and thorough cleaning. That was it. I don't think it's hemmeroids because I have no pain and there's no bleeding. I hate the moisture and the smell I get when I've had a bm in the morning and didn't scrub afterwards. I don't always have the time or inclination to wash after each one! I hate getting brown stains on my panties after walking -- just walking for more than fifteen minutes! -- as if I didn't clean well, which I always do. I've researched this topic and it seems only guys have it. Are other women so perfectly clean all the time?? Wet wipes, baby powder, fiber, constant washing and blotting -- I'm sick of it. I've even shaved my bum and anal region because one doctor recommended it, since feces may be retained in the hair. Yes, that's right, I'm a hairy female. I also sweat a lot. Armpits, palms, feet, genitalia, and anus. Sometimes I feel so alone in my inabaility to stay clean and smelling nice, like no other 20-year-old girl has these little problems. I just need to know if anybody has had this before and if it went away on it's own. It's kind of depressing me. When I travel, it always happens. When I go out with a friend, it always happens, and I have to keep excusing myself to the bathroom to wipe up, which they would never understand.Help me!

Advertisement

#2 BQ

BQ

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14,274 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 09:33 PM

Try flushable wipes. They make cleaning VERY easy.
Please remember this is a group of folks seeking support on how to live with and manage IBS. THESE ARE ONLY MY OWN THOUGHTS. IF YOU WANT AN EXPERT OPINION, ASK A MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL.

#3 Common Response

Common Response

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 709 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 06:09 AM

Hi 1990In my experience residue and an inability to wipe clean is due to incomplete evacuation and/or poor stool composition.After a bm there is still material left in the rectum.Any exertion, stress, movement probably is causing fecal matter to nudge against the sphincter.The heavenly times you describe are probably when your bm results in a complete and satisfying evacuation with perfectly formed feces.The variables are probably:Diet.Stress levels.Deviation from routine.Anxiety levels.Perhaps keeping a diary of what you eat, how you feel. and any things which you feel might be relevant to try to pin point triggers related to unsatisfactory bm's.Diet, exercise, and release of tension are very important to satisfactory bm's.I'd recommend eliminating any junk and processed foods form your diet, drink plenty of water, eat a well balanced diet including fresh fruit and vegetables, exercise, learn relaxation techniques, refrain from smoking, drugs, and excessive alcohol, and balance work life with leisure.Also, l found that your body eventually gets used to using one type of supplementary fibre.Try switching to Normafibe.A work colleague of mine who normally has trouble moving always sports a big smile the morning after his dose of Normafibe.It does a good job of encapsulating the waste whilst providing the bulk to allow healthy movement.I also recommend eating your supper early.My guess is that your first bm immediately after breakfast is your previous days breakfast and lunch coming through.I'm betting that the messy feeling you experience an hour into your morning walk is probably your dinner coming through.If you ate your dinner between 7pm-9pm then it may not have enough digesting time to allow it to join in with your morning bm.It's probably arriving soon after and missing elimination.My recommendation is to eat your supper early enough to give it every chance to catch up with the rest of the waste in your lower colon/rectum.I know it's probably not very social or even practical, but try it out.Eat your supper no later than 5pm-5.30pm for one to two weeks and see whether this makes a difference.Failing that most European and Asian toilets are fitted with a bidet water gun.Washing your bottom with soap and water makes sense and is far cleaner than paper can ever be.These kits are easily fitted to most toilets.http://www.lusanbidets.com.au/products/hoy-wash-gun-bl-2/

Hi, I'm a new member. I don't think I have IBS, at least nothing as bad as some of the people on this board have described, but my bowel and anus have been giving me some gas, no pun intended. Excuse me while I rant.I'm a 20-year-old female, I like to keep clean and fresh and to feel attractive for my own sake, and since last fall I've been having this one main problem: after passing a bowel movement, I can't seem to get clean! I wipe very thoroughly and gently with quality toilet paper, until there appears to be no fecal residue left, and then a little while later I will just have a feeling like I'm not clean. I will check in the bathroom and sure enough, there's brown streaks on the paper! I've been trying everything. I use wet wipes, but they don't help much. Sometimes I wash with a squirt bottle, directly onto the anus, and wipe more and more until I seem clean. This sometimes works, but not right after the bm. If I wash right after, even in the shower, later on I'll feel something and then check and there's even a smell still lingering. I've been on a fiber diet for a while now; started out with Benefiber, but sometimes I'd get constipated. So I switched to fiber capsules (psyllium) and have been going regularly after breakfast. Stools are usually looser, which is okay. However, those rare times when they are well-formed hardly anything is left behind and it's heaven! But what I HATE is when I poo after breakfast and then go for my hour-long power walk in the heat and I sweat heavily and my anus feels really soiled. Sometimes it burns and itches, which is the worst. Other times I have already showered before breakfast and am getting ready to go out when I have to move my bowels, and this ruins the clean fresh feeling my bum had. Am I being OC?? Is this normal or not?? I've been to a doctor and a gastroencologist and both examined my anus, said the sphincter muscle is fine, and simply recommended fiber and thorough cleaning. That was it. I don't think it's hemmeroids because I have no pain and there's no bleeding. I hate the moisture and the smell I get when I've had a bm in the morning and didn't scrub afterwards. I don't always have the time or inclination to wash after each one! I hate getting brown stains on my panties after walking -- just walking for more than fifteen minutes! -- as if I didn't clean well, which I always do. I've researched this topic and it seems only guys have it. Are other women so perfectly clean all the time?? Wet wipes, baby powder, fiber, constant washing and blotting -- I'm sick of it. I've even shaved my bum and anal region because one doctor recommended it, since feces may be retained in the hair. Yes, that's right, I'm a hairy female. I also sweat a lot. Armpits, palms, feet, genitalia, and anus. Sometimes I feel so alone in my inabaility to stay clean and smelling nice, like no other 20-year-old girl has these little problems. I just need to know if anybody has had this before and if it went away on it's own. It's kind of depressing me. When I travel, it always happens. When I go out with a friend, it always happens, and I have to keep excusing myself to the bathroom to wipe up, which they would never understand.Help me!

#4 1990girl

1990girl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 12:11 PM

Hi 1990In my experience residue and an inability to wipe clean is due to incomplete evacuation and/or poor stool composition.After a bm there is still material left in the rectum.Any exertion, stress, movement probably is causing fecal matter to nudge against the sphincter.The heavenly times you describe are probably when your bm results in a complete and satisfying evacuation with perfectly formed feces.The variables are probably:Diet.Stress levels.Deviation from routine.Anxiety levels.Perhaps keeping a diary of what you eat, how you feel. and any things which you feel might be relevant to try to pin point triggers related to unsatisfactory bm's.Diet, exercise, and release of tension are very important to satisfactory bm's.I'd recommend eliminating any junk and processed foods form your diet, drink plenty of water, eat a well balanced diet including fresh fruit and vegetables, exercise, learn relaxation techniques, refrain from smoking, drugs, and excessive alcohol, and balance work life with leisure.Also, l found that your body eventually gets used to using one type of supplementary fibre.Try switching to Normafibe.A work colleague of mine who normally has trouble moving always sports a big smile the morning after his dose of Normafibe.It does a good job of encapsulating the waste whilst providing the bulk to allow healthy movement.I also recommend eating your supper early.My guess is that your first bm immediately after breakfast is your previous days breakfast and lunch coming through.I'm betting that the messy feeling you experience an hour into your morning walk is probably your dinner coming through.If you ate your dinner between 7pm-9pm then it may not have enough digesting time to allow it to join in with your morning bm.It's probably arriving soon after and missing elimination.My recommendation is to eat your supper early enough to give it every chance to catch up with the rest of the waste in your lower colon/rectum.I know it's probably not very social or even practical, but try it out.Eat your supper no later than 5pm-5.30pm for one to two weeks and see whether this makes a difference.Failing that most European and Asian toilets are fitted with a bidet water gun.Washing your bottom with soap and water makes sense and is far cleaner than paper can ever be.These kits are easily fitted to most toilets.http://www.lusanbidets.com.au/products/hoy-wash-gun-bl-2/

#5 1990girl

1990girl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 12:21 PM

Thanks for the tips!What you say about the incomplete evacuation being the cause of my 'leaky' feeling makes sense . . . I've often wondered that myself because sometimes I don't feel like I quite get everything out. I don't smoke or do drugs/alcohol at all, I excersize pretty often, drink lots of liquid, and don't eat very much processed food. However I think I get a lot of sugar in the form of sweet carbs, which are my weakness. I should probably try cutting back on these. I bake them for my family too, but it's hard to resist!I do love vegetables, but I'm not that into fruit. Another thing to work on. And I'll look into Normafiber at CVS next time . . . Wish me luck!

#6 BBQKing

BBQKing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 03:48 PM

Try baby wipes - they are better than Tucks. I also had this problem and after taking a barium drink for an MRI, I had a severe urge to go - something akin to diaharea. Since then, I've had very few incomplete evacuations. I may try an enema from time to time if this symptom returns.

#7 Louise85

Louise85

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 06:18 PM

Hi I joined this forum after searching this problem on the Internet. What you have described, well it could have been written by me. I have been seeing a colorectal surgeon for 2 years regarding this problem, I have had every test under the sun. I have had internal ultrasounds, an MRI, colonoscopy and anal mamotry tests (testing muscle strength). All came back fine, which in some ways was a relief because I have been petrified that I was incontinent or had something really seriously wrong. The final test was to have exploration under general anaesthetic - and the surgeon found an anal fissure. So that is what he has put it down to as they can leak mucus. Two doses of Botox treatment later and I am not convinced. I may have a fissure but I experience no pain and bleeding, I don't think he has made it up but I wonder if the fissure is a bit of a red herring. I obviously have one and I'm sure it doesn't help but it may just be another thing I have rather than the cause.I have found no solution and like u take a shower straight after a bowel movement to try get clean. I won't repeat what you have described as it is literally an exact match.I am sorry that I have not yet found a solution I can share but I have found comfort in knowing someone else has this for what appears to be no reason. Despite reassurances from my surgeon that my muscles are in perfect form and very strong, I have spent hours worrying that I am somehow incontinent for a short time after each bowel movement because getting clean is a mission. Some days it really really gets me down, and a lot of it is the worry that it is something that will progress. Will keep updated with any progress, back with the surgeon in March.

#8 Silent

Silent

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 08:45 PM

I have all of this to a T. I've had it for ten years.

#9 pengu

pengu

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 11:55 PM

I think you have the condition where your anus relaxes spontaneously. The muscle might register as fine but if it relaxes at random times then ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

#10 pikmin

pikmin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 12:03 PM

Hi 1990girlI have been following your thread because I posted a similar problem sometime ago.I have one or two bowel movements aday,and most times I have to reclean after about 10 minutes.This started about 10 months ago for me,but have been suffering fom ibs since 1994.Prior to tis I was was passing hard pellets or hard ish stools which have caused a few hemmoriods .my, dr says the hemmoroid is not causing the leakage,it's probably due to the food I'm eating.Currently I eat two peaches. Dusty,and have saled for my tea.im not sure what food causes this,too much fibre,not enough fibre ?...Like you I'm still seeking a reason for this,hopefully someone might offer some advice .I was told to try probiotics ,fibre supplements ( won't try the fs) can cause more issues .Any advice from you or others would be appreciated .Take care

#11 chookie

chookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 05:43 AM

is this any help? My link

#12 teasterwood

teasterwood

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 02:57 AM

I have had this same issue nearly all of my life. Like another poster said, I could have written this myself. I don't have an answer. I am very frustrated with it. I have now had 5 children and it just gets worse as everything has relaxed. :( Looking for answers...

#13 Freak

Freak

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 02:41 PM

I had soft mush stools for years and was able to use bentonite clay to bind them up. More solid stool eliminates incomplete evacuation. It also supposedly has a detoxifying effect for heavy metals and yeasts.

#14 Colt

Colt

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 06:40 PM

I too suffer from this and have for two years. It is a terrible condition to live with. Itching, burning, feeling"dirty". Worried about soiling pants and underwear, worried about a smell. It is not life threatening, but it is indeed life changing.I see this as a near epidemic already, but only a few brave souls who will come on here and share their situation.There is a common thread, there is a cause.I hope we find the answer.

#15 Dr Dani MD

Dr Dani MD

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 10:26 PM

trying to get a 'bum gun' for ur home toilet is a good idea, and for when u r out, flushable wipes are a good choice. Also make sure u are not eating things like 'low fat' chips that have a chemical in it to prevent fat from being absorbed but because of this can cause anal leakage. Making sure you don't have chronic constipation alternating with diarrhea, by eating a healthy diet without white flour or bread and drinking lots of water can also help because often if u r constipated, u can have liquify stool that gets 'stuck' behind the hard stool and after u pass the hard stool, this liquify stool can cause some leakage too.hope this is helpful!Dr. Dani

#16 Colt

Colt

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 01:59 PM

trying to get a 'bum gun' for ur home toilet is a good idea, and for when u r out, flushable wipes are a good choice. Also make sure u are not eating things like 'low fat' chips that have a chemical in it to prevent fat from being absorbed but because of this can cause anal leakage. Making sure you don't have chronic constipation alternating with diarrhea, by eating a healthy diet without white flour or bread and drinking lots of water can also help because often if u r constipated, u can have liquify stool that gets 'stuck' behind the hard stool and after u pass the hard stool, this liquify stool can cause some leakage too.hope this is helpful!Dr. Daniwww.DrDaniMD.com/ibs

Thanks. I often wondered if it was due to constipation. Since I am mostly D, I have taken so many measures in diet and supplements that maybe I have slowed my system down too much?But, why would there be liquid stool in that part of your system in the first place?

#17 mztopper

mztopper

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 06:43 PM

Hello all I too have this issue from time to time and am thrilled to see others have it too. The itchy feeling and when you wipe your butt there is something there even though you just wiped before. And the smell is not that pleasant and just feels sort of sticky or wet...I have constipation and sometimes I think what I do not poop out since it is not moving along well is what leaks out and then boom , the problems come along. Many times I fart and then boom this happens also.

#18 jennielouises

jennielouises

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 04:10 PM

Hi. I'm new to this site but not ibs! I have this too. Thought I was alone on it really. But it's not when I'm constipated. It's when I have very soft bm. I have ibs-a. Wish there was a way to stop it!

#19 Colt

Colt

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 04:14 PM

Hi. I'm new to this site but not ibs! I have this too. Thought I was alone on it really. But it's not when I'm constipated. It's when I have very soft bm. I have ibs-a. Wish there was a way to stop it!

Jennie, you really need to try psyllium husk powder, it has helped me a lot.Still suffer from this though.....always worse when I have a BM in the afternoon.

#20 jennielouises

jennielouises

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 07:49 AM

Jennie, you really need to try psyllium husk powder, it has helped me a lot.Still suffer from this though.....always worse when I have a BM in the afternoon.

What does psyllium husk powder do?

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2014 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here