2 replies to this topic

#1 New2IBS27

New2IBS27

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 03:12 PM

Advertisement
I know that for typical IBS pain should go away after a bowel movement. But sometimes when I go, I don't get pain but more of an ache on my left side.. Maybe three inches to the left of my belly button. Is this normal?

Advertisement

#2 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34,861 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 04:42 PM

IBS pain doesn't have to go away, but if you have rectal hypersensitivity as part of your IBS (common in IBS, not common in other things) that does tend to lessen shortly after a BM when the rectum is empty.That doesn't mean all pain in all parts of the colon will go away after a BM, and pain (achy to sharp) can occur anywhere the colon is (right side, left side, up under the ribs to down to the hips, or across the top of the abdomen)
My story of beating IBS: My Story with IBS
Ph.D in Biology

#3 Ginnyk

Ginnyk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 07:41 PM

Mine can stick around after a bowel movement. The pressing pain lets up but the achey pain stays.

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2014 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here